PDA

View Full Version : Polishing with SSR 2.5

Kenney
12-19-2004, 02:57 PM
When I use SSR 2.5 on my car with a fresh pad, I sometimes start dusting after the first 30 - 45 secs. It is not that much, but does this mean I am not using enough product?

Thanks

Kenney
12-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Also, is it me or does a pad that uses SSR 2.5 totally caked with dry product after three passes? I have one of those spurs, so do I use the metal grated side to take off of the dried product?

JasonD
12-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Before we discuss if you are using enough product, how big of an area are you trying to work at a time, and how are you working it?

As far as a spur, I prefer a stiff brush instead. I used to use a black bristled nylon detailing brush and I recently bought a better task specific brush (yellow handle) from Autogeek that works great.

Kenney
12-19-2004, 04:35 PM
I usually try to do a 2 by 2 area, maybe slightly larger in one dimension or another to complement the shape of the panel.

JasonD
12-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Okay, that`s a perfect size. I always ask this question first because I find that most people try to do too large of an area and it really negates the effort.

After you do a panel using the amount of product you are right now, are you satisfied with how it comes out or do you usually have to go over each area a couple times?

If you find you have to go over the same areas over and over to get the results you are looking for, then I would say that you need to use a little more product so you can actually work the areas longer thus letting them polish the surface better/longer.

On the other hand, if you are very happy with how everything is coming out and are just asking if 30-45 seconds flash time is normal, then yes, it is normal *for you*. You see?

Kenney
12-19-2004, 05:03 PM
After using a pad for three or four passes it starts to get weird. The product will start to dust really soon or not at all. I am using SSR 2.5 and according to the back of the bottle, I should stop once it starts to dust.

I usually put the product on the pad ( DAS Orange Pad), spread it around the area I am going to work on, turn in on around 5 or 6, and stop when it really starts to dust. This method wrong?

Thanks

JasonD
12-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Nope, that method is perfect except for speed 6. In my experience, speed 6 doesn`t do any better than speed 5 but it DOES cause the product to flash too fast and/or cake up the pad. This may be your problem. From now on, stick to 5 and you should do much better. You are correct about not continuing after it dusts. Once it dusts all you are doing is inducing micro marring, you are better off stopping, wiping the residue off, and restart.

Using speed 5 will make the process take longer and if you use too much product, it will feel like days before it dusts but your finish will look a lot finer this way.

Kenney
12-19-2004, 05:26 PM
How much pressure should I be exerting when polishing?

JasonD
12-20-2004, 11:02 AM
I always start off with moderate pressure, and slowly lift so that my last few passes before the product dusts or flashes is with only the pressure of the weight of the machine. This will give you the best finish. Now, when applying sealants, glazes, etc. no pressure is needed. Just apply and keep going, no working it in either.