PDA

View Full Version : What polish to use before applying Zaino?

prince_ramses
12-19-2004, 03:42 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and Zaino products.

After studying several post, i gather if your paint condition is not in excellent condition, you would need to prepare it by using a pre-wax cleaner prior to waxing to condition and bring out the gloss.

My question is does it matter what brand or type of pre-wax cleaner or polish i use? There has been lots of discussion if a product contains silicon, petroluem based or water based and etc...Example. If i used Meguiar`s No. 7 or No. 9 polish prior to Zaino, versus PS21 paint cleaner prior to Zaino, will it matter?

Can Zaino be applied over polish/pre-wax cleaner which have silicon and etc.....

What if i skipped the polish/pre-wax and applied Z2? Will it look as good?

Look forward to some feedback.

Thank you.

scubywrxr
12-19-2004, 03:57 AM
AIO seems to work well with Zaino or try DACP.

Skipping steps and just using Zaino will give u a good shine but not the ultimate finish.

imported_pugoman
12-19-2004, 04:17 AM
I`m no Zaino user, but quite a few people on here use Klasse AIO as a base for Zaino... the AIO will leave you with a real nice clean surface - infact, AIO is a great base for most products. But don`t expect AIO to remove swirls, you`ll need something else for that, such as Megs DACP, Poorboys SSR`s etc.

DCT
12-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by prince_ramses

Can Zaino be applied over polish/pre-wax cleaner which have silicon and etc.....

I wouldn`t apply Z directly over any product that leaves behind oils, silicones, fillers, wax, or anything else............ except maybe another polymer/acrylic like AIO leaves behind. Can you do it........... yes. Will you get the best results......... probably not! My prefered product now for Z prep is Menzerna FP II. It is water based, and doesn`t contain anything to inhibit the bond of the Z. It leaves the surface clean and glossy.......... perfect for a coat of Z! :D

What if i skipped the polish/pre-wax and applied Z2? Will it look as good?

Zaino wil NOT hide any imperfections. If your paint is in perfect condition (highly unlikely - even on new paint), you can go right to the Z. If there are any stains, imperfections, spider web marks.......... you will see them CLEARLY through the Z.

In the end, you can use any polish(s) you want to get the paint as flawless as possible. Then, right before the Z, use a product that will remove anything that could be on the paint, so that the Z is bonding to the clean paint, or something compatible with Z.

Just my 2 cents.

SK2003TypeS
12-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Products like #7 and #9 have oils and fillers. If you`re going by "Zaino rules" you would have to wash the car after so that Zaino will bond. I`ve tried putting Zaino on paint without washing with Pinnacle`s Paint Cleaning Lotion (another with oils) and didn`t see any problems. If anything, the life of the Zaino won`t be as long. The Menzerna line is doesn`t have these oils (as mentioned) so it shouldn`t matter as far as bonding goes.

If you use Zaino on it`s own without any pre-wax cleaning or polishing, you may get a decent shine out of it, but it`s the cleaning and polishing that really makes cars stand out from the norm and give you the "Perfect Shine" we all aim for.

AIO is a great base for Zaino. I`ve had that combo on for 3 months now and it`s still looking great and holding up.

HTH

Welcome to Autopia :wavey

imported_Burlyq
12-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Lately, the only polish I use under Zaino is menzerna. It is water based and wipes of with a MF w/o leaving any residue. I think that megs 7 is the wrong product to use under Zaino, if I`m not mistaking that`s the oily glaze? You can put Zaino on just about anything but you will sacrifice durabilty using it over something like #7. These are the products I use under Zaino with great success. Menzerna, AIO and p21s cleanser. If you are trying to us as little as possible I`d go p21s or AIO then Zaino and see of that hide you minor imperfections. If your a perfectionist, Menzerna IP+FPII then Zaino. You need a machine for good results. All these products are on sale autopia right now 15% off, merry xmas to me, merry xmas to me. The bottom 2 pics of this post used p21s and AIO on the same car under Zaino. AIO got a little handicap because it got the dark trim, but you can see they both work, I saw the car again yesterday and it looks like the day I put it on, but it has only been a couple weeks.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47608

If your paint isn`t in good shape like you say I wouldn`t put Zaino right on it w/o any work either. I wouldn`t put any sealant on it alone either. However, because Zaino is the shiniest and has the best optics you will see more imperfection than a glossier less optically pure shine than Zaino. A cleaner (p21s or AIO) is a simple process, just wipe on and wipe off, this will make most surfaces look 10 times batter than Z alone. If you use AIO do rub it more for maximum benefit, it is a very good product, I`m not sure it hides imperfections as good as p21s but it adds another layer of protection and makes the surface wetter lookin, which is a nice bonus.