PDA

View Full Version : DA** 4* generic packaging

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Burlyq
12-19-2004, 02:06 AM
I hate it when company`s use the same packaging for different products. Today I sprayed 4 star wheel cleaner on my hood thinking it was gloss enhancer, and for those of you who use that wheel cleaner you know it sticks like glue, Da** it. It takes forever for you stop seeing soap suds when rinsing that product off your wheels, and I now probably have a good amount of residue on my hood. I know it`s my fault but it doesn`t help when manufacturers have stupid generic packaging for all their products. Think about it, it could have been worse. I could have put their paint sealant on leather because both those bottles look alike too. You know how it is when you`re a couple hours into a detail, mistakes happen. Someone should tell those guys to work on that packaging. What other companies have that same type of packaging? Let`s start a petition.

kartoon
12-19-2004, 07:08 AM
While I haven`t used any 4* products (yet) I agree that on the website all the bottles look the same. I actually wondered at some point if what happened to you would ever happen to me.

I don`t think the bottles need to be redesigned. Perhaps a different color stripe on the label would be sufficient to differentiate the products.

03COBRA
12-19-2004, 09:00 AM
That`s why they put labels on them! Wolfgang and pinnacle are the same way! If they had all kinds of different bottles, their pricing would go up! :D

imported_norahcrv
12-19-2004, 12:04 PM
I like the uniformity of the bottles!! It only takes a second to glance at the label before you apply the product.:)

White95Max
12-19-2004, 12:13 PM
I was in a hurry once and I sprayed 4* UGE on my tinted windows instead of the Sonus Vision (also a black spray bottle). I was so :angry , but I quickly got the Sonus and sprayed that on...no color changing occured with my tint yet...

I would think that after a week, if nothing has happened, nothing will happen. But I`m still a bit worried about it. I need a bigger shelf so I don`t have to have all these "identical" black spray bottles on the floor.

rabbi
12-19-2004, 12:40 PM
I mistakenly put UPC on my car when I wanted UPP. I didn`t blame the bottle I blamed myself for not reading the label.

imported_Burlyq
12-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by O4cobra

That`s why they put labels on them! Wolfgang and pinnacle are the same way! If they had all kinds of different bottles, their pricing would go up! :D

The labels are the same color too, I don`t know how having different colored bottles is going to make price go up.

:scared :cool: :cool: :cool: :scared:

:nono:nono :nono

imported_norahcrv
12-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Simply put, quantity purchasing power! If they use the same bottle for all products, they can order far more of it & get it for less cost per bottle than if they have to order 12 different ones in lesser quantities.

imported_Burlyq
12-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Just curious, you think if you went to a plastic supply company and said I want a million bottles. You think they would care if you wanted 200,000 of 5 different ones, rather than all one color. Beauty of capatilism if some brain dead company didn`t want your business in this situation there would be 10 that would give you the same price. Having all the bottles the same color is just easy for a lazy distributer who doesn`t have to keep the bottles seperate, they just through on a label when the bottle is full. Generic-Generic-Generic, I prefer some pinache.:cool:

TW85 HHI
12-19-2004, 02:29 PM
I prefer consistency. Read the friggin` labels...it isn`t that hard!

Oh, and on top of reading the labels, organize your products according to their purpose. All polishes together, all sealants together, all wheel cleaners together, and so on. By doing that, and manufacturers using the same bottles throughout their product line, I can quickly identify each product.

imported_Burlyq
12-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

I prefer consistency. Read the friggin` labels...it isn`t that hard!

Oh, and on top of reading the labels, organize your products according to their purpose. All polishes together, all sealants together, all wheel cleaners together, and so on. By doing that, and manufacturers using the same bottles throughout their product line, I can quickly identify each product.

I`m a mobil detailer, it all goes into two buckets. Hey I admit I aint perfect like the rest of you. But there other products besides the gerneric labeling ones that cater to us people who occasionally make a mistake.:wavey

imported_norahcrv
12-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Burlyq

Just curious, you think if you went to a plastic supply company and said I want a million bottles. You think they would care if you wanted 200,000 of 5 different ones, rather than all one color. Beauty of capatilism if some brain dead company didn`t want your business in this situation there would be 10 that would give you the same price. Having all the bottles the same color is just easy for a lazy distributer who doesn`t have to keep the bottles seperate, they just through on a label when the bottle is full. Generic-Generic-Generic, I prefer some pinache.:cool:

A few points:

I think you meant the "Beauty of capitalism" is . . ..

I don`t believe that as popular as 4*, Pinnacle, etc. are, they are ordering their bottles at the million quantity level.

Yes, there is a price break even in those quantities as the bottle manufacturer would have still have to set up separately for each colour bottle produced.

And it is not the "distributor" who "throws the label on the bottle when it is full". The distributor receives the bottles already full & labelled from the manufacturer ie 4*, Pinnacle, Meguiars, etc.

Perhaps one of those manufacturers would care to weigh in on this issue?

imported_Burlyq
12-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Hey thanks for the clarification and the spelling lesson. But I still like different colored bottles and I would even pay the extra 1.5 cents for a different color bottle if your right.

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

imported_norahcrv
12-19-2004, 02:53 PM
You`re very welcome :)

FWIW - there are other manufacturers who use clear bottles, and their products come in different colours. Have you given them a try?

I also liked kartoon`s idea of a different coloured stripe on the various labels to differentiate between products quickly. :up

Still waiting to hear from a manufacturer . . .

DCT
12-19-2004, 02:53 PM
I find the spray bottles the most manufacturers use are not that great. I usually end up putting them into better spray bottles anyway. Then, I just label them with some masking tape. If I do leave them in their original bottles, I usually label them with masking tape just be sure.