PDA

View Full Version : One Step above Meg`s #83 - Different Product or Different Pad??

dschribs
12-18-2004, 04:23 PM
What should I use to get out scratches I can`t remove with Meg`s #83 (DACP)?? Should I step up to a more agressive pad or possibly a more agressive product?

At this point I`m practicing with my new PC on a black fender taken off a wrecked Ford F-150 (I know..alot easier than doing the whole truck). I used the following procedure. Clay>#83>#82>#81>NXT. I used a Meg`s W-8006 Polishing pad for the #83. All the swirls are gone and it looks great but there are still some scratches that this procedure didn`t remove. What is left is scratches, not swirl marks.

What do you guys think?

-Different product

-Different pad

OR

- Work the #83 a few more times ( I used #83 twice over the whole panel)

This site continues to amaze me!

Thanks All!!

Setec Astronomy
12-18-2004, 04:37 PM
If the scratches are deep, they may not be removable. If you can catch your fingernail in them, they are probably there forever. Remember, the clear coat is only about .002" thick.

stevet
12-18-2004, 04:54 PM
What Setec Astronomy said:up

If you want to you could try a more aggressive pad with #83 or try working #83 a few more times or both. You don`t have anything to lose it`s a just a fender to practice on.

zzyyzx
12-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Like they said, if it`s deep, you probably won`t be able to do much to it with a PC. Try a more agressive pad, but you might also want to try that one section on a little higher PC speed.

I just detailed my car today. I had some PDR work done a while back and noticed that when the guy used his rotary finished it up, it never really shined up. DACP with my PC on about 4 (what I used on the rest of the car) didn`t do much to that area. I put a little more DACP and bumper it up to 5 for that area and it shined right up. Remember: Product, Pad, Pressure & Speed. Only increase the aggressiveness of one at a time until you solve your problem. You don`t want to over do it.

dschribs
12-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys!

Honestly, I don`t think the scratches are too deep. They can`t be felt with a fingernail so I think it`s just a matter of picking it up one notch with the pad or the product..

What do you think would be a good pad one setp up from the Meg`s W-8006 ?? The pad that Meg`s sells that is one step more agressive than the W-8006 they don`t recommend using with a PC. Is there a LC pad or Sonus Pad I might want to try? Just want to know how to solve this type of problem if I run across it in the future.

stevet
12-18-2004, 05:40 PM
The LC and Sonus orange pads are light cutting pads. They are more aggressive than the Megs polishing pad (yellow) but less aggressive than a Megs Cutting pad (red).

Megs doesn`t recommend using thier red pad with a PC but many people do including myself and get good results.

koko_b_ware
12-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Don`t be afraid to get really aggressive. It only a junker body panel. The Lake Country yellow cutting pad is a good choice for deeper scratches. It is similar to the Meg`s red cutting pad. Just remember to use enough product (83) and make very very slow passes. Also, crank the PC up to a speed of 6 and don`t be afraid to put some pressure into it. This will marr the hell out of the paint, but it will remove the scratch. Be sure to follow with #83,or #80 and a polishing pad at about 5. This should clear up the marring.

Don`t be so concerned with screwing up the clear coat. As long as it is only warm to the touch after making aggressive slow passes, you will be fine. You would have to really try hard to burn the paint with the PC.