PDA

View Full Version : New Paint...How long before Wax/Wash ect? Pics included

317indy
12-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Well about a 4 weeks ago I hit a 27" Televison that was laying in the middle of a state highway, and caused some damage to my car. Some is an understatement. The front bumper the radiator the support braces, the hood and the fenders were all repainted and replaced with brand new parts... Total damage...2800+ deductable...250$

Before 27" TV

http://home.comcast.net/~317indy/beforecrash.bmp

After 27" TV

http://home.comcast.net/~317indy/10.30_005.jpg

After $2800 TV Damage

http://home.comcast.net/~317indy/12.15_006.jpg

So now, how long will it be before I can start washing,polishing and waxing on my beloved?

stilez
12-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Call the shop and ask if they baked it.

Do you keep it outside 24-7? or at least during the day (for sunlight reasons)?

30 days is pretty standard, but if they baked it, I`d say 2 weeks.

shaunthebadboy
12-18-2004, 05:43 PM
im going with gsrstilez. i had mine baked and i was washing/waxing it in a little over a week

317indy
12-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

Call the shop and ask if they baked it.

Do you keep it outside 24-7? or at least during the day (for sunlight reasons)?

30 days is pretty standard, but if they baked it, I`d say 2 weeks.

Yeah it stays outside 24/7. They tried to tell me 2months to wash and 6 months to Wax... :nixweiss

Dont know if they baked it or not...

medic
12-20-2004, 01:43 PM
2 month/6 month is excessive IMO...a month was what my shop recomended, but go with what they say (or rather the warrenty says) so you don`t void it.

Btw, that`s not too much damage for hitting a TV. I hit a cardboard box that flew out of a truck at 75MPH and it about about $2000 and mine was just the bumper, head and side light and two tone paint blended half way up the fenders

jimmybuffit
12-20-2004, 06:59 PM
30 days. Period. `Baked`, or not.

Which shop did the work?

If you have to do something, use Meg`s Speed Glaze via the PC.

Jim

317indy
12-20-2004, 08:09 PM
It was Kustom Kolors.

Accumulator
12-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I`m with Jimmy Buffit; *wait* to wax/seal it. I`ve always waited three months when I`ve had paintwork done on mine. Sometimes you can actually *smell* the outgassing, even after quite a while.

Other stuff you can use in the meantime: 3M IHG, Meg`s #3/#5/#7/#81, and Mother`s Glaze.

boywonder
12-21-2004, 11:10 AM
When my `02 Max was redone, I was instructed to wait 60 days before waxing or sealing it. However, you can wash it immediately.

imported_Burlyq
12-21-2004, 04:27 PM
If your gonna seal it soon before the recommended waiting period I`d use a water based sealant. Zaino, Wolfgang or something along those lines. IMO water base will have the least chance that it will react to newly cured paint. Some of those megs glazes are terribly oily and I disagree that would be the product to use on a freshly painted car. I wouldn`t use a paint cleanser or a glaze. There is a product that I think would be very safe because I don`t think it has any solvents or oils it`s called final detail by dupont. It goes on like water and it doesn`t haze, you just wipe it on then off, and it leaves a very nice 3 to 4 week bead. Wolfgang also claims to be water based w/o solvents, if I`m not mistaken.

Accumulator
12-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Burlyq

Some of those megs glazes are terribly oily and I disagree that would be the product to use on a freshly painted car. I wouldn`t use a paint cleanser or a glaze.

To each their own, but on fresh paint (air cured, baked, you name it), I`ve used the Meg`s (specifically #5 and #7) for nearly 30 years, and the 3M IHG for nearly as long, without any problems. That`s on literally *dozens* of cars with aftermarket paintwork (and on factory single-stage paint back before they started baking it at high temps). Meg`s #5 was originally developed *just for* fresh paint.

I`m not trying to :argue and we can agree to disagree on what`s best here (and hey, Sal Zaino certainly knows about auto paint!), but I don`t want people thinking that the products I recommended might somehow cause problems when used on fresh, uncured paint.

az57chevy
12-21-2004, 07:43 PM
My paint shop said minimum of 30 and preferably 45 days. I`ve purposely waited for two months just to be on the safe side. I do know that even after it was baked and left in AZ sun after two weeks outside you could stll smell a chemical reminder so ....