PDA

View Full Version : My Experience w/ Sonus SFX Series

audipower
12-18-2004, 11:35 AM
I end up detailing a car last weekend. My first time using a PC, but have used orbital buffers for years. This is the worst paint finish I have ever done. I`m going to try to post some pics of the befores. I always have problems with posting pics. This car (tan `98 Mercury Sable) had really bad oxidation, haze on the roof, "grit" (ruff deposits), parts where the paint is faded, and my favorite swirl marks. Here we go.

I applied all polishes with there SFX pad. I started the PC on 1 and worked a 2x2 area, then after 4 passes I went to 4.5 till dry to a haze. Biggest thing I learned is not being in a hurry. Use small sections and you`ll get better results. Patients are worth the results.

I used #2 all over the car. I liked it very much. It got all the swirl marks besides two. It worked great on removing slight paint imperfections and bringing some life to dull paint.

I went to #1 on the roof that was real bad. It had a haze, BAD oxidation, and "grit" spots. The haze and deposits came out, but the oxidation didn`t. I`ll try to post a pic. It`s the worst I`ve ever seen! Nothing could of gotten it out besides a sander. It`s into the paint.

Over the spots I used #1 I went over with #2 again. Then I went over the car with #3.

The #3 was the best light polish I`ve ever used! It honestly made the paint on this car have a nice shine. I had the car owner and a couple of friends stop in and they either said, "wow, nice" or "your done?". That`s a compliment from my friends. There more experienced than I am. After seeing the results that I got out of it they purchased them that weekend.

From what I have been told from other members on this forum that the SFX-1 pad is less cutting than the orange cutting pad. I like that. It cuts enough on paint imperfections. I`m going to use the orange cutting pad this spring to see the difference.

I`m impressed with Sonus. It`s everything I wanted in a polish. Works with ease. Great results. Great Product.

Thanks to Jonw440 and others for there help!

audipower
12-18-2004, 11:39 AM
http://autopia.org/gallery/data/501/17547ma_scar_010.jpg

MTomlinson07
12-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Use XAT image optomizer for your pics it compresses them so the file size isnt so large, then you can post bigger pics.

eclipsegt05
12-18-2004, 12:32 PM
you said that you used #1 on the entire car after using #2. On a like-new silver 01 eclipse, would you recommend starting out with the number #2 and only use the #1 for swirls that 2 didn`t get out?

Also, did you notice that #1 thinned the paint at all?

THX, HGT

dcampen
12-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Over the spots I used #1 I went over with #2 again. Then I went over the car with #1.

The #1 was the best light polish I`ve ever used! It honestly made the paint on this car have a nice shine.

So the last polish that you used was SFX-1 over the entire car and you didn`t have to follow it with SFX-2? It doesn`t seem like SFX-1 is nearly as aggressive as the manufactuere says:

"SONÃœS SFX-1 is a fast-action cutting and paintwork restoration polish. Use SFX-1 to cut and buff 1200 grit sanding marks, heavy swirl marks, surface scratches, orange peel and severe oxidation. You may also use SONÃœS SFX-1 to repair the damage cause by water spot etching and bird droppings.

WARNING: Over-polishing with this product may unnecessarily thin your paint or clearcoat. Check your work often. Use only as prescribed to remove damage, and then progress to SONÃœS SFX-2 to further enhance the finish. "

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sfx1.html

audipower
12-18-2004, 05:55 PM
Sorry!!!! Over the spots I used #1 I went over with #2, then went over with#3!

Very Very sorry will edit!

audipower
12-18-2004, 06:08 PM
dcampen,

The last polished I used was #3, sorry all these dang numbers. My friend and other members on this forum noticed less cutting action compared to DAS cutting pad.

It was my first time using it. It was 40o in my garage with a ceramic heater. That might of been the problem and my inexperience with the polish. The one thing I noticed also is the more I worked with it the better the results.

Like the warning said is why I didn`t go over it twice with the #2 on the bad oxidation. I`m going to post the after shots of the oxidation to see the difference. It removed etching (i call grit), swirl marks, and everything else in it`s way. I`m my friend come over to look at it when he gets back from school. It looked alot better than it did before. A rival local detail shop had a shot at it during the summer and failed. The lady actually said they gave it more scratches. Everything looks great besides that oxidation.

audipower
12-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by eclipsegt05

Also, did you notice that #1 thinned the paint at all?

THX, HGT

I didn`t notice, but new it was taking some of the clear coat away when the swirl marks, etching, faded paint where coming off with the #1. Didn`t notice with the #2. The #3 gave it shine and gave it a new look paint. If you understand.

audipower
12-24-2004, 05:12 PM
I had somebody measure the paint depth and they said not to use anymore cutting polish on this area. It`s damaged for good. My customer said it was there when they bought it and talked to the neighbor they bought it from (80+ yrs. old). She said she waxed it at the automated car wash. Well, That`s the one you select wax for $1.00 more.

I figured out how to use the IMG to add files I uploaded (thanx DavidB).

Ryan

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/501/17547scopetest_016.jpg