PDA

View Full Version : Klasse durability.. how long did it last for you?

Pages : [1] 2

Estoril ///M
12-18-2004, 02:25 AM
I just want to see how long Klasse SG lasts. I`ve heard anywhere from 2 months to 6 months which is a given with different people applying it in different situations, using different techniques and all that. Please post how long Klasse SG has lasted for you, what technique you used to apply it, how often you washed your car, and also what car wash you used.

scottabir
12-18-2004, 03:02 AM
It lasted all winter last year for me (good 4 month time frame). I had 2 coats sg 24 hrs apart from each other. I used the normal instructions with leaving the SG on for about 5 hours before I removed it. I used QEW and Gold class wash. It was washed every other week or so. I used quickshine after each wash.

Corey Bit Spank
12-18-2004, 09:24 AM
I don`t know, I topped it before I ever found out.

Accumulator
12-18-2004, 09:29 AM
I use six layers over the course of a month or two (gently claying between layers as needed). The first panels to need redone started sheeting instead of beading after about 13 months. Yep, over a year before it even started sheeting and even then just in places. I redid it one-two panels per wash and have now redone all but the roof. The roof is still beading/looking fine and it still feels like it has KSG on it. That`s after nearly 16 months.

Vehicle is parked inside but used daily/year round as a family beater/dog hauler. Washed frequently using Griot`s Car Wash and BHBs, spot clayed as needed, never QDed.

I do it this way every year, build up around six layers of KSG and then just wash it until it starts sheeting. I always get more than a year. It`s probably still well-protected when it starts sheeting but I redo it anyhow.

Corey Bit Spank
12-18-2004, 09:50 AM
I liked the Beads SG gave. They were nice :)

topnotchtouch
12-18-2004, 10:08 AM
On Christmas eve I will have had the Klasse twins on the Mustang for 4 months. The only maintenance I have done is weekly washes with Meguiars #62 followed up with a wash with Sonus Gloss Shampoo. I applied 2 layers of SG using the normal application method on the bottle, each layer 24 hours apart.

Estoril ///M
12-18-2004, 01:14 PM
I really need to start using Klasse. I`m getting tired of using S100 and having to re-wax every month. I wash my car once a week with Meguiars Gold Class car wash and the S100 barely lasts for one month.

imported_SHICKS
12-18-2004, 01:24 PM
I am at 2 months now with 3 coats of SG on my BMW. My car is outside 24/7 and get washed about once every other week. When I wash the car looks like the day I put the SG on. I actually just bought some S100 today at the Harley shop for $12. I layer s100 on top of SG in the summer.

Here is my SG in the rain has not been washed for about 2 weeks before it rained.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18990sgrain.jpg

Steve

spotter
12-18-2004, 02:43 PM
My wife`s CRV-EX got AIO and SG x 2 on 11/4/02. I put another layer of SG on 3/8/03 and then did SG x 2 on 11/28/03. It still looked great and beaded when I clayed, AIO, and SG x 2 on 11/30/04 this year. I used several car washes over this 2 year period washing once a week. I probably was 40% Eagle One, 20% Turtle Wax Zip Wash, 20% QEW, and 20% Blackfire Wash.

The car is garaged at night and at her office but she does drive 20 miles a day each way to work and does a lot of running around. I never top her car with anything so that I can add SG periodically. I use Quikshine for QD or a 50/50 mix of Quikshine and Spray & Wipe for bird bombs and spot cleaning.

I always apply both AIO and SG by hand using the WOWO method. I have used SG on both light and dark colored cars and have never had ANY problems. Based on cost per application it seems to me that the Klasse twins may be the cheapest thing possible considering the durability.

CTDiesel
12-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Has anyone, who has used both methods for an extended period, notice any differences in durability between WOWO and allowing the SG to remain on the surface for 20+minutes then removing?

usdm
12-18-2004, 11:29 PM
2 applications of aio (for coverage), and about 2 coats of

ksg (also for coverage) lasted from May to about this past

October on my wheels. Did this via wowo method. Even

now, without having put on another coat, the shine has

lessened as I expected. But the brake dust still comes off

easy with car shampoo or S&W. The wheels are now just

starting to feel rough.

So, i would assume that with wheels getting the brunt of

garbage, the twins would last at least as long on the paint

panels.

LOTA OT
12-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Three coats of SG applied over 1 week (letting sit for 1 hour then buffing off with a damp MF) lasts me about 6 months. I`ve had the car sitting outside 24/7 for over a year and the last year had it garaged, and I seemed to get similar durability under both conditions.

No special maintenance, just wash and ocassional QD with a non carnuba QD.

Michael

imported_Burlyq
12-19-2004, 01:51 PM
It`s very durable, and I would use it as a two step process at a minumum. AIO, then SG. I`d wait a couple days and even top it with a nuba for extra winter protection.

imported_Malachi
12-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I use six layers over the course of a month or two (gently claying between layers as needed). The first panels to need redone started sheeting instead of beading after about 13 months. Yep, over a year before it even started sheeting and even then just in places. I redid it one-two panels per wash and have now redone all but the roof. The roof is still beading/looking fine and it still feels like it has KSG on it. That`s after nearly 16 months.

Can one put on another layer of SG after 6 months, or do you need to use AIO to make it "stick"?

Accumulator
12-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Malachi

Can one put on another layer of SG after 6 months, or do you need to use AIO to make it "stick"?

Not sure; I didn`t I add any more SG after that long. I built up six layers and then just washed it.

But you can add SG months after the initial application; I just did it. I first redid (polish, AIO, then SG) the hatch back in October, and last week I added some more SG to it after claying *very gently*. Worked fine, no problems at all.

I think you`d be a lot better off to refresh the SG every month or so rather than let it go too long.

The problem with adding more SG after a long time is that the surface won`t be perfectly clean (but claying *will* help a lot) and the existing SG will have degraded some by that point, so you`re recovering something imperfect. The SG will "stick", but after that long you`d probably want to use the AIO to provide a clean starting point, essentially starting over. But IMO the "problems" will be purely cosmetic unless you seal in some ferrous contamination and let rust blooms develop.

I`ll be adding SG to the MPV for quite a while. Since I keep it clean, and clay it all the time, I think it`ll be fine. For now, I`m just adding more SG with every wash.