PDA

View Full Version : How similar are the different polymer sealant formulae ?

Pages : [1] 2

Mochamanz1
12-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Just a dumb question. What would happen if a person mixed different products and applied them to a car? I am just wondering if the polymers are all that different from each other. Really curious, has anybody ever mixed them? What would this soup bring forth?

raymond_ho2002
12-17-2004, 11:30 PM
I don`t think it`s a dumb question; i`ve always wondered the same thing but i never wanted to invest the resources into finding out. My guess is that certain lines would mix fine, whereas others might result in smearing.

imported_Burlyq
12-18-2004, 12:20 AM
I think different combinations of layering would yeild better results than mixing them. There are too many different bases that bind the product, petroleum, water, acrylic, silicone, etc.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47852

I thing your asking for trouble if you mix Zaino, klasse Sg, and NXT, then put it on your porche. However, once the product cures you don`t have to worry, for the most part. I have put Zaino over SG after it was cured and it looked very good. I didn`t do any long term test or any thorough study but the surface looked very nice. Once something cures your probably only looking at possible bonding issues as opposed to maybe having some real bad streaking or something. But hey if you feel like wasting money and trying it knock yourself out, just have a good bottle of AIO handy in case.

imported_memnuts
12-18-2004, 05:50 AM
The mother of invention is the inquirying mind.

Go for it and report back!! :xyxthumbs

Setec Astronomy
12-18-2004, 07:21 AM
What is this fascination with mixing different products? Somewhere there is a chemist pulling his hair out thinking about this...

When I was young, dumb, and...well, you know, I decided I was going to make some home brew winshield washer fluid. Hmm....I thought, I`ll borrow a little of this detergent concentrate from work....and lessee....I need some water....and oh yeah, alchohol to keep it from freezing! So I poured in a bunch of methanol. After I noticed that it was foaming up by itself, I grabbed the jug and found that it was warm, too (some sort of unplanned chemical reaction going on). Moral of story: leave the chemical mixing to the chemists.

PS I don`t need to mention the famous "boy, this window cleaner/toilet bowl cleaner isn`t cutting it....I`ll just kick it up a notch with this bleach!", do I?

imported_memnuts
12-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

What is this fascination with mixing different products? Somewhere there is a chemist pulling his hair out thinking about this...

When I was young, dumb, and...well, you know, I decided I was going to make some home brew winshield washer fluid. Hmm....I thought, I`ll borrow a little of this detergent concentrate from work....and lessee....I need some water....and oh yeah, alchohol to keep it from freezing! So I poured in a bunch of methanol. After I noticed that it was foaming up by itself, I grabbed the jug and found that it was warm, too (some sort of unplanned chemical reaction going on). Moral of story: leave the chemical mixing to the chemists.

PS I don`t need to mention the famous "boy, this window cleaner/toilet bowl cleaner isn`t cutting it....I`ll just kick it up a notch with this bleach!", do I?

Chem 101. No sealant or liquid wax on the market today will cause a exo- or endothermic reaction if mixed.

Moral of this story: Don`t hinder the path of new ideas. Many thought Columbus and Edison were crazy. :wavey

From a Lab rat. ;)

NavindraLR
12-18-2004, 08:28 AM
i have three different sealants on my car right now (menzerna fmj x 3, klasse sg, wolfgang), and the results are lot better than when i just had 3 coats of klasse sg

Setec Astronomy
12-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Chem 101. No sealant or liquid wax on the market today will cause a exo- or endothermic reaction if mixed.

Moral of this story: Don`t hinder the path of new ideas. Many thought Columbus and Edison were crazy. :wavey

From a Lab rat. ;)

I wasn`t suggesting that mixing sealants would cause an exothermic reaction, just that the mixing should be left to the Columbus`s, Edisons, and lab rats. But, whatever.

eclipsegt05
12-18-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by NavindraLR

i have three different sealants on my car right now (menzerna fmj x 3, klasse sg, wolfgang), and the results are lot better than when i just had 3 coats of klasse sg

your car looks great! I`ll have to try mixing sealants on my silver eclipse.

How do you maintain this setup? A regular QD or Sonus Acrylic Spritz?

imported_memnuts
12-18-2004, 09:31 AM

I wasn`t suggesting that mixing sealants would cause an exothermic reaction, just that the mixing should be left to the Columbus`s, Edisons, and lab rats. But, whatever.

My question to you is for what valid reason? This a hobby not an exact science, why not play around if the endeavor is a safe one. To discount his query as juvenile or stupid was not in line with searching for the ultimate shine or a necessary post. IMHO.

raymond_ho2002
12-18-2004, 11:58 AM

In a sense we already are mixing sealants and products when we use different brand name products together, layering different LSP`s, topping sealant with wax, etc. Sometimes the manufacturer says it`s not a good idea but we all do it anyway. The difference is that we`re doing the mixing on the car instead of in a bottle.

Setec Astronomy
12-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

In a sense we already are mixing sealants and products when we use different brand name products together, layering different LSP`s, topping sealant with wax, etc. Sometimes the manufacturer says it`s not a good idea but we all do it anyway. The difference is that we`re doing the mixing on the car instead of in a bottle.

Layering different products is different than mixing them together before applying, and you`re free to pour all your products into one bottle, just as I`m free not to.

Setec Astronomy
12-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

To discount his query...was not in line...or a necessary post. IMHO.

You`re absolutely right! It`s not necessary for me to post here, which is why I haven`t done it recently. Thanks for reminding me why!

Mochamanz1
12-18-2004, 02:18 PM
The chemists have made compounds of waxes with polymers... and there are many flavors of polymers ... yes there are water and hydrocarbon based products out there, but I think any non cleaner polish would be more apt to be water based... since to disolve paint, the chemical composition would have to be hydrocarbon based.....I put a drop of each on an absorbent pad, the seperated liquid from them appeared to be water, in each product selected for my to be mixed batch... SG, KMJ, and Z2 , all appear to mix well in a bit of Sonus Acrylic Spritz... I didnt need much more than a few drops of each to mix enough to do my car lightly..... it did cure :) waiting for evidence of property change or difference in quality .... There are so many brands of polishes and waxes out there, I was just wondering how really different they really are. No axe to grind, just curious.

JustinR32
12-18-2004, 03:13 PM
It`s an interesting question, I think.

Aren`t many sealants variations on aminofuctional silicones?

As I understand it, getting the stuff to protect is easy, getting the subjective qualities of shine and depth and gloss and jetting is hard.

I`d

GUESS

that most of the secondary components are related to bringing out those qualities. My hypothesis would be that you will get decent shine, but at the cost of the nuances of gloss, depth, jetting, etc. IOW, the stuff will form the shield, and shine, but won`t look so hot.

Some hypotheses are proven right, some hypotheses are proven wrong. I got no pride in this one coming out either way.

After several years of layering this and that, my overall conclusion based on an entirely unscientific methodology is, one product at a time looks best to me. And the car always looks like whatever it was I put on last; for example, Souveran over Klasse looks like Souveran over NXT looks like Souveran over clean paint, to me.

YMMV, though. I`m just another weekend punter like most everyone else here.

Tom