PDA

View Full Version : My first 2005 detail...non-corvette :)

Pages : [1] 2

Nickc0844
11-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Had the opportunity today to detail this 05` Porsche Cayenne S series. I did an 04` earlier in the year. Not much difference, except I got better results. That makes me feel good in that I know my skills and product knowledge are getting better along the way.

The paint was still loaded with Cosmoline from the factory that the dealership did not fully remove. It really dulled the finish I thought, and definitely took away from the metallic flake.

The paint process was as follows:

-Wash with Hi-Temps Prep Wash
-Clay with Adam`s Polishes Claybar
-Adam`s Polishes Revive with Rotary and Edge Blue pad at 1100rpm
-Liquid polymer carnuaba Butter Wax with PC on 3.5
-Paste topper by hand was TOL`s Pizzaz (thanks Anthony for the suggestion)

I was really impressed with the end product, as was the client. I couldn`t believe how much better the car looked even though it was that new. The metallic flake really came out after using Revive, and the BW/Pizzaz really made this "in betweener" color look sparkly and wet ;) It`s not a dark shadow gray, but Porsche adds a tinge of blue into it to make it a bit darker.

Nickc0844
11-10-2004, 12:56 AM
The owner has had it a bit more than a month. The wheels were absolutely hideous with brake dust; to the point where I could tell if the lip was painted or chrome :dunno. I used TOL`s Power Wheel Wash and went to town. From there I sealed them with EX-P, and dressed the tires with BnB, as he requested a wetter tire dressing. The wheel wells were done with Stoner’s More Shine Less Time.

I didn’t think they were 20’s at first until I looked at the numbers. He purchased them at Butler Tire as an aftermarket. The lip on there is about 2 inches and is chrome, and then the traditional Porsche spokes in the middle. They really complimented the ride.

All in all, I think the wheels took me about an hour to clean, seal, and remove (not including the sealant flash drying time). The rivets were a bit of a pain to get around, but oh well, I just hope he keeps up with them a bit better now until I see him at the first of the year. :lmfao

Nickc0844
11-10-2004, 01:10 AM
The inside was pretty easy....and that`s rare :D

The floor mats were pre-treated with Adam`s Carpet Cleaner and a nylon brush was used to aggitate. I then used TOL`s Rug Renew and my Lil` Bissel to clean the carpets. From there I used Stoner`s Fabric Protector on them to aide in cleaning the next time around.

The dash, doors, and console all got a hearty helping of Adam`s VRT. The interior in itself was really dry as it soaked up the first application in no time at all (Italian material is notorious for this). The Leather got Adam`s Leather Conditioner and really made the firm leather more subtle. The downside of this interior was all the intracracies, which took some time to get around.

The engine was cleaned with Scrubbing Bubbles and jetted off. There was no need for any aggitation. SB works well on mildly dirty engines, otherwise I use Greezed Lightning. It was then treated with Adam`s In and Out Spray.

The car drove like a breeze, and was just as peppy as the magazines said it was. It did also have tiptronic shifting on the steering wheel, which is always a joy to drive with as well.

I`ve detailed a couple 05` Corvettes this year at the shows, but this was my first local 05` Client, and what a way to start :dancin
Enjoy~~

The Fuzz
11-10-2004, 09:00 AM
The car was a month old and it needed to be detailed? They should have that puppy reposessed. A one month old car shouldn`t be dirty enough that you can even tell a difference when its detailed. I`m not surprised at the wheels thing. The guy across the street from me has a Cayenne S and it has the worst brake dust problems. I`m kind of amazed that they aren`t using ceramic brake pads or something like that.

mgm2003
11-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Where are the `After` photos?

Kidding :) That`s a sweet looking ride! Nice job.

NavindraLR
11-10-2004, 10:50 AM
looking good.. atleast your pics were during the day.. mine sucked (cayenne turbo)

good job on the detail.. looks really good.. metallics stand out, and damn the hood reflection of the house is mint..!!!!

G35stilez
11-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Wow!

Some hate it, but I love that thing! Especially the V8 models...The rumble is amazing from the exhaust.

Looks great...Nice write-up and pic documentation!

Luv-N-It
11-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Great! Thanks for the posting of process and pics!

Nickc0844
11-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys! :jump

I agree Fuzz, I wouldn`t expect that from a Porsche stealership at all, but it really isn`t uncommon anymore, as the use of cosmoline is increasing. Most will just acid wash the car when it arrives, then throw a $5 a gallon type wax on top, some greasy tire stuff and then it hits the lot :nono

In the end it`s all about the email I got today, "Nick, I can`t tell you how much i enjoy working with you. Your level of service and attention to detail are truly remarkable. You made the car look better than new and i will always continue to send you business.
Matt" :bigups

edschwab1
11-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Looking good as always.

Eric

Rob Tomlin
11-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Looks amazing.

Definitely my type of SUV.

:)

OI812
11-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Nice looking job Nick. I assume that it is metal flake I am seeing in the one picture. That really sparkles nice. Oh and the shoot of the house was nice.

Oh maybe that was the hood and the house was the reflection. Nice job.

Nickc0844
11-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks again guys!

Your right Don, this car did have a bit of metallic flake into it, thus the reason why I went for Revive as opposed to a final polish/swirl remover. Here is another portraying that for you :bigups

AtlantaBoy
11-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Very nice works as always Nick.........

Josh
11-12-2004, 03:26 PM
It boggles my mind that someone can abuse a car so badly that it needs to be polished and clayed within a month of having bought it.

Then again some of the cars we get at my "stealership" are dealer trades and are abused so badly by other dealers that we do have to polish them...