PDA

View Full Version : wuts the best and softest wash mitt i can get?

Pages : [1] 2

andrew300
12-17-2004, 06:58 PM
i have a black m3 with extremely soft paint so i need the softest wash mitt possible that would be the least likely to marr my paint. i have an autopia sheepskin mitt but it just feels course and dont really trust using it. whats better microfiber,sheepskin or chamois? and what is the best one. price doesnt matter.

imported_Burlyq
12-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Autogeek sheepskin, buy 6 and they`re real cheap but high quality. Either that or MF would be a good choice, because it seams like you might not trust sheep fiber. I`d pick chamois last but that`s just an opinion.

Bill D
12-17-2004, 07:33 PM
I`m a huge fan of sheepskin mitts. But they`re the sorta thing I must pick in person so I buy only the softest Eurow ones from Wal Mart. The security guards monitoring the camera must get a real charge out of watching me pick the mitts out :o :D

chaotik
12-17-2004, 07:44 PM
I agree with the mits from Wally World....Have to pick and choose.

Grab one and it is all rough...the next one is like silky smooth

Bill D
12-17-2004, 07:47 PM
I hit the jackpot earlier this month, ALL but one on the shelf were really soft :bounce so I bought all of them and left the sole rejected one hanging :)

mtodde
12-17-2004, 08:39 PM
You might be an Autopian if....

Originally posted by Bill D

I hit the jackpot earlier this month, ALL but one on the shelf were really soft :bounce so I bought all of them and left the sole rejected one hanging :)

SilverLexus & I just got a few from Excel Detail that seem to be very soft. I`ll wash them tonight so I can make sure they are as good as they feel.

White95Max
12-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by mtodde

You might be an Autopian if....

I hit the jackpot earlier this month, ALL but one on the shelf were really soft so I bought all of them and left the sole rejected one hanging

:rofl

Hooray! 800 posts!

a.k.a. Patrick
12-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Thats cheating paul............lol

gearhead
12-17-2004, 09:12 PM
I agree about the mitts from WM. Huge difference between them but the soft ones are very nice!:xyxthumbs

White95Max
12-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Thats cheating paul............lol

Hey Santa thanks for the Christmas card. :)

SilverLexus
12-17-2004, 10:00 PM
I think Patrick`s sheepskin mitts are terrific.

Nick`s mitts from DP are nice too also but VERY expensive.

WalMart and Target mitts are not anywhere close to these two vendors.

P.S. Patrick, those edgeless MF of yours ROCK. Perfect for removing AIO and #16. I will have some pictures tomorrow to prove it.

Accumulator
12-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by manawar

i have a black m3 with extremely soft paint so i need the softest wash mitt possible that would be the least likely to marr my paint. i have an autopia sheepskin mitt but it just feels course and dont really trust using it. whats better microfiber,sheepskin or chamois? and what is the best one. price doesnt matter.

Note that some seemingly coarse mitts will soften up just fine when soaked with shampoo mix. I use sheepskin, cotton chenille, and MF, and none of them mar soft paint as long as they`re being used right (lots of shampoo, no hard pressure, etc.). IMO the MF mitts are the softest, but you have to watch that they don`t pick up some abrasive dirt that won`t rinse out (at least not until it`s too late and you`ve already marred the panel).

Good cars: I use cotton mitts for the worst dirt (many mitts, replacing whenever dirty) and follow up with MF. In both cases, I use the foamgun inside the mitt to provide constant lubrication/flooding of the panel with soap solution and I barely touch the panel with the nap of the mitt.

Other cars: above cotton/foamgun method for dirtiest panels, sheepskin for the rest (fill with shampoo solution, allow to seep out while whisking over panel).

I always suspect that it`s the dirt that does all the marring, not the mitt itself. And that dirt doesn`t really "travel up into the mitt and get trapped" either. Dirt sticks to the mitt and is between the mitt and the paint. Pressure on the mitt presses this dirt into the paint and the result is marring. So IMO it`s all about not pressing the dirt into the paint.

Bill D
12-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Yep, multiple mitts per washing is good practice. I use at least three not counting the "hand me down" one for the wheels. Sometimes I might use up to 6. Also I have my mitts marked as to which part of the car they are to be used on :L I will use a particular mitt only on the part it is marked for :o :D

Accumulator
12-18-2004, 10:46 AM

..I have my mitts marked as to which part of the car they are to be used on..

That`s a good idea :xyxthumbs It`s easy to get things mixed up once the wash has started. That`s why I even have indicators about which buckets are wash and which are rinse; by the time I`ve rinsed the mitts a few times both buckets can look pretty soapy.

Estoril ///M
12-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Viking sheepskin mitts?