PDA

View Full Version : Lug nuts are on way too tight...

Pages : [1] 2 3

truvette
12-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Well, I`m about to get ready to rotate my tires, and my worst fears about the project have come true. My lug nuts are on way too tight and it`s near impossible to get them off without giving myself a hernia.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make the process easier? I was thinking that I could use some WD-40 to help loosen things up a bit, but I`m not too sure how safe it will be on my wheels.

If anyone has run into this same problem and has some helpful advice, I`d appreciate it. Thank you.

ZaneO
12-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Find a long breaker bar.

WD-40 will probably be okay as long as you avoid the brakes and thoroughly wash the wheels when finished (will need to be protected again also).

VictoryRed
12-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Counter clockwise:o, stand on it, WD-40=Rust

JasonD
12-17-2004, 03:35 PM
First, use a penetrating lubricant like Liquid Wrench over the WD40 and second use an impact. If you don`t have access to an impact a longer breaker bar is all you can do. Sometimes (I know this sounds weird) trying to tighten them just a hair will release the nut and allow you to remove them easier. Just remember to let the penetrating lubricant sit on there for a few minutes before you go wrenching on them.

Bill D
12-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Kano Labs` Kroil is like WD-40 on steroids. :bow A few years ago I had to use this and the help of a 265 lb friend using a spinner wrench with a piece of pipe placed over it to get the wheels off! Damn tire shop! :mad: :down

imported_Aurora40
12-17-2004, 05:01 PM
You DON`T WANT WD-40 on your wheel studs! It`s on tight due to torque probably, not due to rust or binding. It`ll be hard to clean the wheel studs completely after you spray WD-40 on them. Do you have a breaker bar? That will really help.

Make sure you check the wheel studs for any stress lines or anything. And try to make sure that never happens again. Three wheel studs snapped on the Regal, shearing the other two lugs and separating the wheel from the car. I suspect it was due to years of overtightening, though I can`t be certain... :eek:

ZaneO
12-17-2004, 07:00 PM
When you put those lugs back on, make sure they are around 100 lb. ft.

kartoon
12-17-2004, 07:07 PM
I second the breaker bar idea. If you don`t have an impact wrench, a long bar will save you in many situations.

I got mine from Harbor Freight for a few dollars.

When you tighten the wheels use a torque wrench. For my car the recommended torque is 80 ft-lbs.

truvette
12-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately, I tried everything I could that was reasonable and they still did not come off. I suspect that the last place that rotated my tires must have put them on too tight with a machine.

I am actually getting quite fed up with the way many places tighten things on my vehicle. I had a problem two weeks ago before I was about to change my oil in that the drain plug was put on too tight also. It was really frustrating as I had to take my car to a local service station and they had to loosen it for me.

I was thinking of taking my car to a garage around here and seeing if they can help loosen them for me. It`s somewhat disappointing as I was looking forward to rotating my tires on my own. However, I`d rather have someone with some expertise remove the lugs first before I hurt myself.

kustomsol
12-17-2004, 08:47 PM
I always tell the manager to hand torque the lug bolts and that I will check them to make sure I can remove them before I leave the shop. That usually works, but be sure you actually check them (at least 1 on each wheel). I only had to make them remove them and then put them back with a torque wrench once.

LouisanaJeeper
12-17-2004, 08:54 PM
anti seize

some like it, some dont, i do

kempie
12-17-2004, 09:07 PM
How about this time you take it to a shop that will use a torque wrench to tighten tham after they rotate them. Then next time you can do it..after you get a torque wrench.

Over tightening can cause warped rotors as well as broken bones.

truvette
12-18-2004, 01:44 PM
I think I`ve found a solution to the problem. It requires a small investment of money, but I think it will be worthwhile in the end.

This impact wrench, available from Lowe`s, seems like it will suit my needs. It seems well-suited for the home user, and it specifically states it can be used for stubborn bolts.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=220966-1126-IFT202

Does anyone recommend certain "accessories" I might need when I go to buy it?

As always, I will tighten with my torque wrench afterwards. If I ever have any more problems with tight bolts, at least I will have a quick and efficient solution at hand.

LouisanaJeeper
12-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Does anyone recommend certain "accessories" I might need when I go to buy it?

you know you need a compressor for that, right? and a 1/2 drive socket or 1/2->3/8" adapter

i would go with an IR brand impact

Vincent Vega
12-18-2004, 03:23 PM
I`ll second the I/R brand. As a rule if I have tire service done I will always loosen and retorque lug nuts when I get home. 100 ft lbs. I would be reluctant to but a cheap Impact Wrench. It may not cost much now but, in two years when you have to buy another one..........