PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting Out

Pages : [1] 2

maxdout00
12-17-2004, 05:30 AM
Hey all,

I`m new here and have gained so much knowledge about detailing just from reading all your posts, this forum is amazing! Thank you to you all for the great info :xyxthumbs

I have always thought that I took good care of my cars but after reading all of this info I realized I am slacking. Since my boss is such a nice guy and I got a sweet Christmas bonus i would really like to pick up a good, complete detialing setup. Can anyone provide a somewhat complete list of things I should buy to begin my adventure? ie; PC Polisher, polishes, pads, waxes, sealers

Any information you can provide would be extremely helpful. I really want to spend my money wisely and only buy what I need and the best of each product.

Thanks in advance!! :nixweiss

DrSauekraut
12-17-2004, 05:49 AM
Welcome to Autopia :wavey

I could suggest a whole slew of items, but I`ll go easy . . . check out the Autopia car care packages. It`s everything you need in one bundle. Follow the link - http://www.autopia-carcare.com/car-care-kits.html

Sonus Perfect Shine Kit

Sonus DAS Polisher Kit

Good luck!

holland_patrick
12-17-2004, 07:20 AM
Gee that`s what i suggested also...

Cool I might be leanrning something

Patrick

White95Max
12-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by maxdout00

Can anyone provide a somewhat complete list of things I should buy to begin my adventure? ie; PC Polisher, polishes, pads, waxes, sealers

Any information you can provide would be extremely helpful. I really want to spend my money wisely and only buy what I need and the best of each product.

What are you looking for in a wax/sealant? Durability, Gloss, or slickness?

What color do you have? Some waxes look awesome on certain colors.

Do you have the 5 spoke 16" alloys on your Max? (The ones shown in my avatar)

SK2003TypeS
12-17-2004, 07:53 AM
At the very least, I think you should start with some wash, clay and some sort of protectant since you`re on the northeast. For the polishing stuff, I found that it took me longer to really get up to speed with it (...and still learning). So maybe hold off on that until you have a firm base to make your decisions (unless you already have).

Meg`s Gold Class or NXT Wash off the shelf is $10-$5, Mother`s clay kit ~$15, NXT $15 is a basic start to get you through the winter.

If you haven`t already, click the Learn button up top and go through those articles.

HTH, Welcome to Autopia :wavey

maxdout00
12-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Thank you for the welcome. Just a little background info so you all know where I am coming from. I have been detailing my cars by hand for 10 years now and I think i am ready to take it to the next level and bring out the deep wet look better than ever. I worked at a dealership reconditioning the traded-in cars (all hand, no power machines) when i was 16 so I have aquired some knowledge of how to bring a car back to life. But i want more!!!!

Those complete sets are deffinitly a good start.

White95Max

I have the grey lustre on the Max (which is the dark grey) it has minor scatches and some swirls that i would loke to remove. Yes, I have the 5 spoke alloys very similar to your pic. Living in Mass with the snow and crappy weather we get I would probably prefer something that has some durability for the winter and possibly use something eles in the summer.

Thank again for all your help

White95Max
12-17-2004, 12:12 PM
If you decide to get new rims for any reason, let me know. I`m looking for a set of the 5spoke 16s for my Max for summer rims with Ultra High-Perf tires. :D

maxdout00
12-17-2004, 12:17 PM
I have the 17`s because it`s an SE. Are you a member of maxima.org?? What are you running for tires?

White95Max
12-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Yes I`m a member of Maxima.org. I`m currently running 215/60/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE950 Hi-Perf tires on the 15" sawblades. In spring I want to get BFGoodrich G-Force Sports 225/55Z/16 for the 16s.

If you have the 17s, they`re 6 spoke aren`t they? If the SEs have the 17s, then which model has the 16s? I thought the GXEs just had the hubcaps, and the GLEs had the ugly 16s.

maxdout00
12-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Your right they are 6 spoke...sorry. If i remember correctly the GLE`s had 16`s. Just put the 17 on it and run 225/50/17. those are stock on mine. I am running Falken Ziex-512`s...awesome tires.

White95Max
12-17-2004, 12:33 PM
I like the 16s because those rims with the 55-series tires are almost an exact match to the diameter of my current setup so the car would not be any higher or lower than it is now, and the speedometer would not get thrown off.

Tires also cost more for 17s, and I don`t want to lower my car, so it would probably look lifted with the 17s.

The 16s are cheaper too...and I really like 5 spoke rims.

maxdout00
12-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Your right tires do cost a lot more and there are only a few companies that make the 225/50/17`s. Everyone kept telling me to get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S` for a good high performance all season...they ranged from $190 to $250 EACH!!! Talk about rediculous!

White95Max
12-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Yeah the G-Force Sports 225/55Z/16 are only $80 a piece. And snow tires for the sawblades go from $65 - $90.

actually the Potenzas I have now cost more ($87) than the G-Force Sports for the 16s.

maxdout00
12-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Wow, that`s cheap. Even my Falken were $103 each and that was cheap!

I still can`t understand how some of the people on .org can afford to do all that stuff to their cars, it`s insane!

White95Max
12-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Now that I read your posts again, I`ll recommend Meguiars #16 Professional Paste Wax for the winter. As for a sealant, I like EX-P and FourStar UPP (My favorite).

I have UPPx2 on my car for the winter...I`m still thinking about putting some Pinnacle Paste Glaz on too, but I`m worried about the slickness diminishing so I`ll probably hold off until Feb-Mar for the PG.

You`ll frequently see my posts in the detailing forum of Maxima.org. See you there :)

You can check my webpage for pictures of different product combos.