PDA

View Full Version : Power antenna issues

White95Max
12-16-2004, 10:19 PM
I always have trouble with my power antenna in the winter. Either it won`t go down all the way or it won`t extend all the way.

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the power antenna working properly during below-freezing times?

I just looked at my antenna (which is currently about extended about 10 inches) and it has no ice or dirt on it that I can see/feel. Yet it won`t go down all the way. I tried turning the radio on again to make it extend, and then turned it off again...but it still got stuck in the same general spot.

Corey Bit Spank
12-16-2004, 10:41 PM
I know a few people with them that have just replaced them with regular antennas. Otherwise I don`t know. This seems to have been a 90s trend that, luckily, is over. :)

Pondscum
12-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Get XM or Sirius and remove your FM antenna.

Seriously, what it sounds like is you may have dirt, or water down in the works of your power antenna. Their is a drain tube which runs out the bottom which may be clogged. The power antenna has a plastic cable/gear type affair which pushes it out and pulls it in. For most cars, it`s possible to remove this plastic cable without completely dissasembling the entire assembly. Once you remove it, you can properly clean and lubricate, but you may need to remove and disassemble everything if the drain is clogged.

You should also be able to get an aftermarket power antenna replacement assembly which closely or exactly matches the original at a reasonable price.

92MX83
12-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Pondscum

You should also be able to get an aftermarket power antenna replacement assembly which closely or exactly matches the original at a reasonable price. [/B]

$29 on eBay, OEM quality, Hirschmann brand I think. Works like a charm in my Cressida.:xyxthumbs

NavindraLR
12-17-2004, 10:35 AM
this happened to me in my 95 integra gsr... the antenna gets stuck @ a certain point, and this only happens in winter... i think its because of the temperature affecting the antenna motor. i just pusehed the antenna all the way down, and disconnected the power for the motor.

White95Max
12-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by NavindraLR

this happened to me in my 95 integra gsr... the antenna gets stuck @ a certain point, and this only happens in winter... i think its because of the temperature affecting the antenna motor. i just pusehed the antenna all the way down, and disconnected the power for the motor.

Would the radio still work with the antenna all the way down all the time?

How do you disconnect the power to the motor?

Jimbo46
12-17-2004, 03:29 PM
I had a 92 Maxima with the same problem. I replaced my Antenna with a 350z antenna from www.locustom.com.

In the short term, I used silicone spray and just lubed it every couple weeks.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-18-2004, 05:28 AM
Paul,

It sounds like your power antenna simply needs to be cleaned and lubricated.

Just spray your favorite all purpose cleaner onto a paper towel and wipe it along the length of the antenna when it is fully extended. Then wipe the antenna with another dry paper towel. Then apply your favorite lubricant, such as WD40 etc, by also spraying the lube onto a paper towel and running it along the entire length of the extended antenna. As already mentioned, you may want to re-apply lubricant every few weeks, as necessary, throughout the winter.

Pondscum
12-18-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Paul,

Just spray your favorite all purpose cleaner onto a paper towel and wipe it along the length of the antenna when it is fully extended. Then wipe the antenna with another dry paper towel. Then apply your favorite lubricant, such as WD40 etc, by also spraying the lube onto a paper towel and running it along the entire length of the extended antenna. As already mentioned, you may want to re-apply lubricant every few weeks, as necessary, throughout the winter.

The only thing is, just lubricating the outside doesn`t lubricate the plastic gear cable that`s inside. There is a procedure to remove this cable. If memory serves, I think you pull on the antenna while it`s being extended and it will pull out cable and all. Then you have a helper turn the radio off while you feed it back in. While you have the whole thing out you can clean a lubricate it with some axle grease, or replace it if it has some broken gears.

White95Max
12-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Paul,

I clean the antenna regularly, but I`ve never thought to lubricate it. I`ll try that.

NavindraLR
12-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

Would the radio still work with the antenna all the way down all the time?

How do you disconnect the power to the motor?

yes the radio still will work, but reception may not be as good.. i didnt really experience any negatives because of where i live (it depends on location).

i removed the inner panel on the trunk where the antenna is located, and found the motor, and disconnected the power cord.. its just a wire harness.. all u do is unsnap them

Bill D
12-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Yep, unless there`s a lot more serious internal problem the WD-40 or better yet, Kroil, ought to get it telescoping again

EdLancer
12-18-2004, 04:02 PM
First of all most power antennas have a reservoir on the bottom of the motor so you can drain out dirt and water, then you should lubricate the antenna shaft with silcone lubricant. Do not use WD-40 as the oil will attract more dirt to stick on the mast