PDA

View Full Version : Info on Orange Peel Paint removel

Pages : [1] 2

alanceperson
11-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Good Evening Everyone , Any one can give some pointers on removing orange peel? Have a new nissian titan pickup with it in the paint. I have done alittle wet sanding before on scratches only. Plus, Should this be a bad paint job on Nissian`s part ? :drool Is it covered under warrenty ?

kimwallace
11-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Check out this thread:
http://www.detailcity.com/showthread.php?t=8232&highlight=wetsanding

Wetsanding a factory paint finish is always a last resort type thing for me. It is sometimes tough to get out all the wetsanding marks. A lot depends on the hardness/softness of the paint.
Check this out too: http://www.autobodystore.com/rsw.htm

Jngrbrdman
11-09-2004, 09:11 PM
You can`t do much for it once you get the truck. I would take it to a professional and have them take care of it for you. On a Titan you should probably expect the bill to be equivilant to a new paint job. It is not an easy nor a cheap task that you propose. Orange peel is something that should be prevented instead of corrected. Nissans are actually usually pretty bad with orange peel so I wouldn`t be too surprised. Every Nissan that I`ve seen has that problem. Its one of a number of things that I don`t like about them. The Titan is a nice looking truck though. You should have fun. :bigups

shotime
11-09-2004, 09:58 PM
If it`s in the paint, you can`t wetsand it out. Unless you pay $5000+ for a paint job or spend $300k+ for a car, you`re going to have orange peel to some extent. The proper way of painting is to wetsand the paint before the clear, then put enough clear on you can wetsand out any imperfections. The more steps involved, the more money. This is why I taught myself to paint.

alanceperson
11-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys for the info on removel of the orange peel. Kimwallace the link up was a big help. The truck was not mine . Was a customers I was originally getting scratches out of made by a automatic carwash. Orange peel was just in the clear coat . Did a 5x5inch on the tailgate near Titan emblem. Showed Customer He liked it. Said he would like the rest done in the future. Orange Peel covers all of the truck . How much would yall charge for this service? Just trying to get a price to give him. Pics are in my archive not sure how to get them on this Thread thing yet. :whine

TDMAN
11-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Good Evening Everyone , Any one can give some pointers on removing orange peel? Have a new nissian titan pickup with it in the paint. I have done alittle wet sanding before on scratches only. Plus, Should this be a bad paint job on Nissian`s part ? :drool Is it covered under warrenty ?Could someone please let this newbie in on what "orange peel" is? I`m not sure if I know what you are talking about. Much thanks in advance

Anthony O.
11-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Orange Peel (OP) looks just like the skin oa an orange. It has ripples or high points and low points on the skin and many paint jobs have this same look to them, hence the term "orange peel".

Factory paint jobs have orange peel because it helps hide imperfections in the metal. It`s harder to notice imperfections in the metal through orange peel. If you show a Porsche on a competetive level and remove the factory installed orange peel you then get hit with concourse deduction points.

Anthony

SilverLexus
11-14-2004, 05:52 PM
I find that most paint jobs these days have orange peel - it is really matter of how much peel there is. I find Lexus, Porsche, BMW, Acura, and some Mercedes to have the better paint jobs.

sgo
11-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Factory paint jobs have orange peel because it helps hide imperfections in the metal. It`s harder to notice imperfections in the metal through orange peel. If you show a Porsche on a competetive level and remove the factory installed orange peel you then get hit with concourse deduction points.
Anthony
I think you must have it right, Anthony. :) A shame isn`t it? I went to the latest new car show this month and I don`t remember seeing a paint job that didn`t have OP.

alanceperson
11-14-2004, 07:23 PM
I know what it is td. This is my frist time in removing it. Question is What Would be a good price to charge?

ron`s
11-14-2004, 07:31 PM
If you are doing an entire car you should charge $400.00 and up.

This is not a task that a novice should take on alone. Seek some help with experience.

mtodde
11-14-2004, 07:32 PM
I find that most paint jobs these days have orange peel - it is really matter of how much peel there is. I find Lexus, Porsche, BMW, Acura, and some Mercedes to have the better paint jobs.

Remember the black E55 AMG we saw though? Some of the worst orange peel I`ve ever seen. It made me glad I have a silver car.

Generally I agree with you on the brands you mentioned...they do a better job of prepping the surface before paining and on the higher end cars there is still some hand painting. Mercedes has the best silver paint of anyone IMHO...especially on the S class.

alanceperson
11-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Ron Why Would You Use Help?

ron`s
11-14-2004, 08:38 PM
If you have never color sanded a cars a cars finish I think you should have someone there to give you pointers. A person with experience sanding and polishing the sanding marks out. It`s not a job you can just rush through. You need to take your time and do lots of inspecting between steps. If you work alone and are doing a qualty job your looking at 10 hours or more. This depends on the sevarity of the orange peel, the hardness of the paint and the amount of curves or rounded edges. Wet sanding a scrach is one thing but the whole car is a big can of worms.
I encourage you to do the job but...
Trust me when I say seek some help with experience doing this.

TDMAN
11-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Orange Peel (OP) looks just like the skin oa an orange. It has ripples or high points and low points on the skin and many paint jobs have this same look to them, hence the term "orange peel".

AnthonyThanks Anthony.