PDA

View Full Version : Best way to wash in sub zero winter conditions

49er
12-15-2004, 12:33 PM
What is the best to wash my car in the dead of winter? I have no access to a hose at home (at least in the winter season). If i take it to a touchless car wash is that any good? Or should i use the outdoor coin operated 3 minute manual car washes, with the high pressure gun wash, brush, rinse, soak and wax options? If anyone used one of the manual car washes please give any tips in order to clean the salt baked exterior of a black clear coated car?

stevet
12-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Go to the coin wash and hose down the car. Make sure the coin wash uses fresh water not recycled water. Drive home and QEW wash the car. Do not use the brush in the coin wash especially on a black car. This is what I do all winter.

QEW = Quick and Easy Wash by Protectall.

vapore0n
12-15-2004, 12:58 PM
heres a tutorial on QEW

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32078

Id say the pre-wash at the coin up is optional. I would do it if there is still snow/ice on the paint, or the wheel wells are caked up in sand/salt.

I dont like using pressure washers (coin up, touchless). I once peels the paint of my hood using one of those.

tailwind
12-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by stevet

Go to the coin wash and hose down the car. Make sure the coin wash uses fresh water not recycled water. Drive home and QEW wash the car. Do not use the brush in the coin wash especially on a black car. This is what I do all winter.

QEW = Quick and Easy Wash by Protectall.

Only problem with that is that the car will be frozen solid by the time you get it back from the coin-op. You can`t dry it if you`re only rinsing it off.

stevet
12-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by vapore0n

Id say the pre-wash at the coin up is optional. I would do it if there is still snow/ice on the paint, or the wheel wells are caked up in sand/salt.

I dont like using pressure washers (coin up, touchless). I once peels the paint of my hood using one of those.

Well when I use the hose at the coin wash I don`t blast the paint with it. I stand far enough back that it basicaly justs rinses the car. I will blast the wheel wells though when they need it.

That must of been one powerful pressure wash to peel your paint.

stevet
12-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by tailwind

Only problem with that is that the car will be frozen solid by the time you get it back from the coin-op. You can`t dry it if you`re only rinsing it off.

Yeah, when it`s that cold I skip the rinse or wait for a day thats above freezing. Sometimes I will just use the coin wash to blast the wheel wells then drive home and do the QEW wash.

imported_fireberd350
12-15-2004, 01:19 PM
The QEW w. warm water is a dream come true to me. I will use a coin-op for the wheel wells and such if they are really bad.

WARNING!!! Coin-op winter warning:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32512&highlight=ice

stevet
12-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by fireberd350

The QEW w. warm water is a dream come true to me. I will use a coin-op for the wheel wells and such if they are really bad.

WARNING!!! Coin-op winter warning:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32512&highlight=ice

Yes I have had that happen. Just missed hitting the panel above my right front wheel. It was like watching it happen in slow motion. My heart was in my throat.

Big Leegr
12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
I usually go to the "pay by the minute" places. You can bring your own bucket, soap, polish, wax, whatever. Since you pay based on how long you stay there, they don`t care if you pull in and take a nap! They get paid regardless. You can wash, dry, qd, even put a quick coat of wax on if you want. Now the coin op places tend to be less happy if you aren`t there solely for feeding coins into their machines! :D

ernman
12-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I currently go to the coin op and then pull it in the garage and wipe it down with PB S&W. Would using QEW provide any benefit over S&W?

n2_space
12-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Instead of using the coin op, I bought a general purpose sprayer that has some decent pressure, and spray it down with that :)

AlexRuiz
12-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by n2_space

Instead of using the coin op, I bought a general purpose sprayer that has some decent pressure, and spray it down with that :)

Sounds interesting..... How does it work? Do you have a link for it?