PDA

View Full Version : HELP burt paint!

stluciedetail
11-09-2004, 07:00 PM
well , i found a chip on my hood and i tried wet sanding it. then i buffed it with a foam cutting pad with some cutter i got from work. did that and very slightly burnt the paint. (my car is silver) what can i do to fix it without burning more. its a 2001 civic :nono

Pat
11-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Use a little touch up, fully repaint, or leave it alone. That`s about it.

kimwallace
11-09-2004, 08:47 PM
When you say "burnt the paint" ... exactly what does it look like? Does it look like it melted and smeared? did you buff through the clear? Is it a different color (like brown)?
Everyones definition of burnt paint is different.

stluciedetail
11-09-2004, 09:15 PM
it looks a little milky and it looks smeared. just a light burn. what can i do

kimwallace
11-09-2004, 09:22 PM
I have removed those types of marks by wetsanding with 1500 or 2000 grit paper wrapped around a stiff foam backing pad. After wet sanding then you can buff out the wetsanding marks. When you get the paint that hot, it many times changes its properties, so you might want to polish out the wetsanding marks by hand. Be careful because you do not want to go through the clearcoat. If you filled the chip in with touch-up paint, it might be that the paint wasn`t dry. Take your time and let us know how it comes out ... Good Luck!

stluciedetail
11-09-2004, 10:01 PM
ok, thanks. one more thing off topic here. i bought a clay bar from www.prowax.com but did not buy the lub. the clay is not like others ive used. its really sticky. is there anything i can use with this clay so its not so tacky? i usually use meg. quick detail