PDA

View Full Version : Extreme noob

TSXWilly
12-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Hello All.

I`ve been reading up on these forums and the information is absolutely fabulous. I`m glad there`s this resource here for morons like me who don`t know what the heck they`re doing to their cars.

The request I have is somewhat redundent. I`ve looked through the majority of "Spider web" threads on paint. I`ve read them and I`m lost as to the acronyms and the like. PC, AIO, SSR etc.

I have a black 2004 Acura TSX and the paint just looks horrendous in the light.

Would someone not so noob as myself be able to put together a list of "stuff you need to get" in order to start actively removing spider webbing on my paint? Perhaps even a step by step approach to removing the swirls once I get the stuff as well. I know it`s a lot to ask and please let me know if there`s a list out there already that I just haven`t been able to find.

Thank you in advance for anyone that has some information. Me love you long time.

Wasatch
12-15-2004, 11:07 AM
First off welcome to Autopia.

For swirl removal try some of these products:

Poorboy`s SSR 1, SSR 2, SSR2.5

1Z - Paint Polish, Metallic Wax Polish

Meguiar`s - #9, #80, #83

Some of these products can do a pretty good job by hand, but you will get better results with a Porter Cable (PC) Dual Action Buffer. There a tons of stuff out there to remove swirls, buy a product or two and see how they work for you on your car. I hope this helps some.

dschribs
12-15-2004, 11:08 AM
TSX

Here a link to help with all the abbreviations...

Secret Decoder Ring (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm&s=&menu=8)

TSXWilly
12-15-2004, 02:45 PM
That is absolutely perfect you two. Thank you so much. Now I can peruse the rest of the posts with some kind of direction.

Thanks again.

kartoon
12-15-2004, 03:10 PM
:welcome

Is it safe to assume you drive a TSX ? I`m loving mine.

TSXWilly
12-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Damn straight. The TSX rocks but unfortunately, it looks like I took an abrasive scrub pad and rubbed it all over the paint :(

Which leads to my next question. I was washing my car and I noticed some brown tarry type substance on my car. I don`t quite know how to approach it as soap and water hasn`t done much.

I`ve been reading about "clay" but I haven`t the foggiest idea what "clay" is and how to use it . Anyone got a dummies version of this tutorial?

kartoon
12-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Try this (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html) for starters.

MongooseGA
12-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by TSXWilly

Me love you long time.

You so... :hm

;)

Download the free version of the Autopia Guide to Detailing.

:wavey

imported_The Uncle
12-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by kartoon

:welcome

Is it safe to assume you drive a TSX ? I`m loving mine.

I have one as well. I got into detailing because I`m so into the car!

AlexRuiz
12-16-2004, 08:06 AM

Hello All.

I`ve been reading up on these forums and the information is absolutely fabulous. I`m glad there`s this resource here for morons like me who don`t know what the heck they`re doing to their cars.

The request I have is somewhat redundent. I`ve looked through the majority of "Spider web" threads on paint. I`ve read them and I`m lost as to the acronyms and the like. PC, AIO, SSR etc.

I have a black 2004 Acura TSX and the paint just looks horrendous in the light.

Would someone not so noob as myself be able to put together a list of "stuff you need to get" in order to start actively removing spider webbing on my paint? Perhaps even a step by step approach to removing the swirls once I get the stuff as well. I know it`s a lot to ask and please let me know if there`s a list out there already that I just haven`t been able to find.

Thank you in advance for anyone that has some information. Me love you long time.

Welcome to the forums. The only 2 things you really need are the desire to do it right (you already got it) and MONEY!!! The second factor is very important. Once you cross the line, there is no return :D Regarding products, it will come by itself ;)

I absolutely love the TSX, and I am planning in getting one soon when Acura enters here..... sad thing, as with most of the cars, it will be aprox 30% more expensive than what you pay up North.

Alex

TSXWilly
12-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by AlexRuiz

Welcome to the forums. The only 2 things you really need are the desire to do it right (you already got it) and MONEY!!! The second factor is very important. Once you cross the line, there is no return :D Regarding products, it will come by itself ;)

I absolutely love the TSX, and I am planning in getting one soon when Acura enters here..... sad thing, as with most of the cars, it will be aprox 30% more expensive than what you pay up North.

Alex

Money... quite the issue. I`m a recent college grad and well.... you can imagine how much debt I have =)

Oh well, I figure taking a few hundred dollars to detail and care now will save me down the road.

TSXWilly
12-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by MongooseGA

You so... :hm

;)

Download the free version of the Autopia Guide to Detailing.

:wavey

Again with the noobness... where could I get this guide? :confused:

Eliot Ness
12-16-2004, 11:36 AM

Again with the noobness... where could I get this guide? :confused:

Use this link to download:

Autopia Guide to Detailing (http://autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html)

Enjoy!!!!