PDA

View Full Version : "Darken" Black Painted Inner Fender Wells

dschribs
12-15-2004, 08:00 AM
I am looking for something to use on the paint of the metal inner fender wells (under the hood - not the wheel wells) and under the painted hood of my `68 Camaro. The paint is black and about a 40-50% gloss. Less than a semi-gloss but more than a flat..if that makes sense. I am looking for something to basically "darken" the paint a little and give it a "like new" appearance. I was thinking of going with either Klass AIO or possibly Pig Spit although I`ve never used either of these products. Can anyone give me any suggestions?? If I wipe them with water they look great for a minute or two until they dry. Basically, that "wet look" is the look I am going for but i want it to last.

Here`s a pic of what I`m talking about. You can see one of the fender wells in this picture.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18949camaro_engine-med.jpg

jfelbab
12-15-2004, 08:59 AM
I`ve used CD/2 Engine Detailer with great success. It is resin based, dries hard and is not oily so won`t attract dust. It lasts for months. I also use this in the fender wells where it works well too.

sgtmattie
12-15-2004, 09:40 AM
What is CD/2 engine detailer? Where can I find out more about it?

jfelbab
12-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by sgtmattie

What is CD/2 engine detailer? Where can I find out more about it?

As I mentioned CD2 Engine Detailer is a resin based coating that dries clear, hard and non-oily. I`ve seen it at Target, Kmart, Pep Boys, AutoZone and other automotive stores. I`ve been using it for several years and have found nothing else that works as well. I suspect you can find more info if you use Google. There are probably others here that also have used it.

dschribs
12-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks jfelbab!

Anyone else have any suggestions?? Klasse AIO, Pig Spit, Griot`s Undercarriage Spray?? What would Klasse AIO do to paint that has only a minimal gloss to it? If it would do the trick, I`d like to go that route rather than a "dressing" like the Griots....

cheapshot
12-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Could we see more pics please? that engine bay is so nice!:D

I would give the AIO a shot! If you don`t like the look use it on your wheels. I just tried it on VW wheels and they look great! super clean not to much gloss and cleaning up easy after 6 weeks, and still going. I have AIO/SGx3 on my white integra it looks great! :up

togwt
12-16-2004, 07:29 AM
"Darken" Black Painted Inner Fender Wells

For concourse show cars I usually paint the fender wells with Groit`s Satin Spray Paint (PN 2024)

JonM