PDA

View Full Version : Griots Garage Undercarriage Spray

Pages : [1] 2

dschribs
12-15-2004, 07:40 AM
Does anyone know where I can find this product???

I`ve seen it mentioned alot on this forum but, after checking the web site, it doesn`t appear it`s available from Griots anymore??????

Thanks!!

topnotchtouch
12-15-2004, 07:48 AM
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11138

crobinso
12-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Wait, I have questions:

This stuff is just a dye, or a paint, right?

Will it affect the performance of ball joints, lube points (I forget the technical name), or other moving suspension parts?

How long will it last?

Is it waterproof?

Thanks,

Charles

topnotchtouch
12-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Not sure how it will affect moving suspension parts as I only use it on my wheel wells. It is not a dye or paint though. It is an oily susbstance similar to a tire gel. It does not dry but remains tacky. Being oily it does repell water. For me it lasts about a month.

togwt
12-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Groit`s undergarrige spray is silicone based so it is waterproof.

Just be careful if it gets on the floor as it will make it slippery

JonM

Pats300zx
12-15-2004, 09:15 AM
I have used the Griots UCS before and I really like it. I use it exclusively on my show car. I find it to be kinda pricey and don`t use it for everyday use. For my daily drivers etc I have been using Armor All Tire Foam on the wheel wells etc . Its cheap, looks great, and only costs $2.47 at Walmart.

dschribs
12-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Pats

Question for you...

Where do you use it?? Do you think it would shine up and darken black metal inner fender wells under the hood and the underside of a (black-low gloss) painted metal hood??? It`s kind of pricey and I`d hate to buy it only to have it sit on my shelf - like tons of other stuff I have!! It is like armour all for metal more or less???

Accumulator
12-15-2004, 10:01 AM
I like the Undercarriage Spray, but it sure is messy stuff. Doesn`t want to just wash out of cloths either, so watch what you get it on.

Wiping it down/off after applying will remove enough excess that it`ll seem a bit "drier".

Yeah, the "armor all for metal" description fits pretty well :xyxthumbs

Try it on some undercarriage parts first to see what it`s like. I apply it with a sponge rather than spraying. As TOGWT said, you do *NOT* want to spray it on the floor (or get it on the rest of your car).

How long it`ll last just depends...how you clean the treated areas, what you put the vehicle through. It doesn`t just go away in a few days though. I can`t imagine it hurting anything like suspension parts, etc. Certainly wouldn`t hurt the zerk fittings, in fact they`re probably wipe clean for lubing better as the Undercarriage Spray will keep crap from building up on them.

crobinso
12-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I can`t imagine it hurting anything like suspension parts, etc. Certainly wouldn`t hurt the zerk fittings, in fact they`re probably wipe clean for lubing better as the Undercarriage Spray will keep crap from building up on them. Zerk fittings! That was the term I couldn`t think of! Thanks, Accumulator.

Charles

Accumulator
12-15-2004, 10:09 AM
:D :wavey

Krautfed 03
12-15-2004, 03:26 PM
I have found that wiping the sprayed areas with a slightly damp cloth or sponge leaves a really nice satin finish, just like the car looked as new.

Accumulator
12-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah, that`s a good idea. Just getting any excess off will do a lot to lower the "slime factor".

Krautfed 03
12-15-2004, 04:31 PM
I`ve found an aerosol product that works wonders on my undercarriage. It`s called Pro Shine, a product made for dealers and detailers, but it is a very fine mist with very little overspray. It gives a nice satin sheen, and gets glossier with additional coats if desired. I like the aerosol because it seems to go on a little more even and you don`t have to wipe excess off.

It also works good on tires, does not sling off when you drive away, but you have to use a lot of product since it is such a fine mist.

Bill D
12-15-2004, 05:31 PM
I`m highly considering the Griots stuff for my next wells detailer. How`s it on attracting dust?

I`m considering trying various acrylic based shine products not limited to automotive use as well but I hope i can bypass that with the Griots

Krautfed 03
12-15-2004, 05:34 PM
It is a little greasy, so there is the typical dust attraction, especially on the undercarriage where you will see the most dust / grime, etc.