PDA

View Full Version : VOC Regulations

Pages : [1] 2

CTDiesel
12-14-2004, 08:56 PM
I understand Meguair`s is reformulating many products to meet the new VOC regs going into effect January 1. What about products like VM and UPP? Any other Autopia products being reformulated for January 1?

SpoiledMan
12-14-2004, 09:30 PM
The way that it was explained to me this past Saturday by a Meguiar`s rep. is that they can manufacture the products until the end of this year and then sell them through 2007. The products must be reformulated to be produced after 12/31/04 or sold after 12/31/07. It`s thought that many manufacturers will stockpile their products and sell them while they can.

audipower
12-15-2004, 12:02 AM
What the Hell is VOC and what`s the problem with the products that they have to be reformulated?

Very interested in this subject.

I

Eliot Ness
12-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by audipower

What the Hell is VOC and what`s the problem with the products that they have to be reformulated?

I

Here is a thread that will help explain it:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44336

foxtrapper
12-15-2004, 06:38 AM

I

VOC stands for Volatile Organic Compound. Essentially, this is the stuff that evaporates. VOC`s are regulated because as a class they contribute to ozone and the resulting smog.

Regulations in a number of states went into effect recently restricting the VOC content of a number of consumer products. Regulations and restrictions on the VOC content of many other products, like paints, have been in existance for a number of years alread.

VictoryRed
12-15-2004, 07:46 AM
To bad we can`t make ozone. duh!

imported_memnuts
12-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by VictoryRed

To bad we can`t make ozone. duh!

We can make ozone but not in the quality needed to replete, position (in atmosphere) and protect this planet`s living organisms against neoplasms (cancer).

AlmightyMoonPie
12-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by foxtrapper

VOC stands for Volatile Organic Compound. Essentially, this is the stuff that evaporates. VOC`s are regulated because as a class they contribute to ozone and the resulting smog.

You are correct on what VOC(volitile organic compounds) or VOA(volitile organic analyte) these are nothing more than a group of chemicals mainly solvents MEK, Benzene, 1,2 DCE and TCE + about 400 more, that have been on US EPA hit list for years, many have been shown to cause cancer and easily contaminate groundwater and the air. To the best of my understanding NOx and SOx are the leading causes of smog however, I can be wrong. The VOC/VOC help in the formation. This is similar to the Freon removal by US EPA in the late 80`s and early 90`s and the great Doixin movement today. "Its all a buch or tree hugging hippie crap" to quote southpark. In low concentration these chemicals are all but harmless unless you are exposed to the 24/7/365 for 50 years. I have worked around these chemicals for the last 10 years and have seen the price to clean up what is said to be contaminated, 1 site alone over 5mil. But for the most part they are HARMLESS

Detailr75
12-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Guess it`s just easier politicallly to come down on the guy who likes waxing his car or painting his boat, than to tighten up on the coal-fired power plant that dumps tons of sulfur dioxide into the air each year.

VictoryRed
12-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

We can make ozone but not in the quality needed to replete, position (in atmosphere) and protect this planet`s living organisms against neoplasms (cancer).

I have some nice lots around the Sea of Tranquility, you interested?

VictoryRed
12-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Clutch Cargo

Guess it`s just easier politicallly to come down on the guy who likes waxing his car or painting his boat, than to tighten up on the coal-fired power plant that dumps tons of sulfur dioxide into the air each year.

To bad they don`t use filters for that stuff, huh. And all the other countries in the world are so clean.

imported_memnuts
12-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by VictoryRed

I have some nice lots around the Sea of Tranquility, you interested?

Already sold my estate in New Zealand. ;)

audipower
12-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Politics picking on the little guy. I guess the Detailing Industry needs to get some Lobbyist. You know Chemicals Giving Cancer Industry of America does.

Next thing you know where not going to be able to drive gasoline cars in this country. Oh wait, Auto makers are slowing that process down for us.

audipower
12-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Hey if it doesn`t affect Sonus, Klasse, or P21S I don`t care!

DETAILKING
12-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Oh...but it will!!

Hey if it doesn`t affect Sonus, Klasse, or P21S I don`t care!