PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present help - buffer

Pages : [1] 2

yellowvert
12-14-2004, 11:11 AM
The wife is going to buy me a buffer for Christmas. Everything I have read tells me the PC 7424 is the one to get but I have a couple of questions...

1) It appears that the 7336SP is the same unit but in a polisher`s package. Which would I want - the 7336 or the 7424?

2) She called from H-D and handed the phone to a guy I know (I spend a lot of time at H-D....) who said I really don`t want that, I should get a R-O polisher, like the Ryobi RB 101. (see link) His concern is that it is so powerful, it would be easy to do damage.

http://www.ryobitools.com/product/product.asp?prodid=341&prodcat=2&toolcat=30

I`ve got a beautiful yellow Corvette convertible and a couple of new black cars. The absolutely last thing I want to do is ruin the finish on a car. If there is any significant risk of doing this with the PC, I want to know. Further, is there any risk of doing that with the Ryobi buffer. I do know enough to always keep it moving but that`s about the extent of my knowledge. What I`m trying to accomplish is reducing the time it takes to do my monthly (or more) waxing of all three cars (one`s a Tahoe...) and, hopefully, have an even better looking result.

Is there an advantage over the PC over the Ryobi?

I think you get the picture. I can`t run the risk of wrecking my paint - at any real cost. I`d rather do the Mr Myogi routine than do that.

Help!!

One last newbie question: Is there a posting someplace that explains all the darn acronyms used on this forum. I`m pretty solid on the Corvette forums, computer forums, home theater forums but a lot of what I read here is Greek to me....

Thanks to all - someday, I`ll be able to contribute back....

Rainbow
12-14-2004, 11:18 AM
If you are a online member of Meguiars.com, they have an excellent PC deal right now. ;)

Brad B
12-14-2004, 11:48 AM
The Porter Cable is a much nicer unit that the Ryobi and more appropriate for a wide selection of buffing/polish pads.

10" is a very large pad and very cumbersome. You will find 6-6.5" (to 7.5) pads much more user friendly.

Another place to get the 7424 is www.coastaltool.com. Their kit includes the proper counterweight, backing plate and buffer itself.

The 7424 is a RO buffer. It`s the safest way to go. It takes a lot of practice to master the rotary buffer or it can cause quick damage. Stick to the RO since you are starting out.

Get Sonus pads here. (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+GjQk9r+sonussfxpads.html) They are excellent quality. I suggest getting one of each. (Yellow, white, blue) You will use the white pad the most.

yellowvert
12-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Rainbow, what am I missing. The show a G100 (not sure what that is) at $225. I thought these things were in the <$120 range...

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/search_results.cfm

And I still need ....HELP!!!

yellowvert
12-14-2004, 11:49 AM
brad, what`s the difference between the 7424 and the 7336?

I guess my concern is the power of the 7424 at 3.7 amps versus the Ryobi at .75 amps....

sQuashed
12-14-2004, 12:00 PM
The 7336 has a bigger counterweight than the 7424. You must trust me on this yellowvert,you do not want the Ryobi. The extra dollars are well worth the effort the Porter Cable puts out. I got my 7336 from Lowes for $ 110 and then you need the Sonus Pad Kit or the Lake Country Pad Kit.

Bill D
12-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Don`t read too much about polishers on this site especially with two black cars in addition to the yellow;) You may find yourself fighting the uncontrollable urge to add a rotary and a Cyclo ( guilty as charged here :o) to the arsenal too;) :D

Rainbow
12-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Yellowvert,

You have to be an online forum member...

Here is the deal.

Meguiar`s G-100a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher Kit for $149.99!

Members Save $75.96!

DA Polisher Kit Includes:

* Meguiar`s Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher - G-100

* Velcro Backing Plate - W-64DA

* Foam Polishing Pad - W-8006

* Lifetime Warranty!

* FREE SHIPPING* when you add an additional $50 in product to your order!

(*Continental US and Canada Only)

Details:

For the month of December, Forum Members of Meguiar`s Online can call our Customer Care Hotline and purchase the Meguiar`s DA Polisher for $149.99!

Requirements:

You must be a registered member to take advantage of this deal. You will need to give the Customer Care Representative your Meguiar`s Online Forum Name, which will be checked against the forum member list.

Click here to learn how to become a Meguiar`s Online Member!

Customer Care Hotline (800) 347-5700

Hours: Mon.-Fri. 6am-6pm and Sat. 7am-3pm (PST)

yellowvert
12-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Rainbow, thanks for the info. I`ll go register. BTW, you said "click here" but the link was not attached. I can probably figure it out but if you have it, great. Thanks.

Also, I`m still not real convinced I`m not going to screw up my car with one of these. If I search this site, will I find some really good detailed explanation on how to use the PC without destroying my precious paint??

Accumulator
12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by yellowvert

Also, I`m still not real convinced I`m not going to screw up my car with one of these. If I search this site, will I find some really good detailed explanation on how to use the PC without destroying my precious paint??

IMO it`s far *more* likely that you`ll be back here saying "that PC is too mild, what can I get that`s more aggressive". I`ve had newbies (from teenagers to the elderly) up to speed with the PC in a matter of minutes. It`s so foolproof you just can`t imagine. There`s an old joke that the only way to hurt your car with one is to drop the PC on the hood :D

The `vettes will have some tight spots you`ll still have to do by hand, but you *will not* mess up their paint with the PC unless you do something *really* unusual and misguided with regard to technique, pads, or product. And IMO you`d almost have to *try* to mess it up. I had a C5, no problems at all using the PC on it.

You can always turn the PC down to speed 1 or 2 while you get used to it, that speed is almost like what an energetic person would do by hand :D

Just exercise some caution as to which products you start out with and all will be well.

That Ryobi would be a complete waste of money. Really. And anybody who says you need that because you`d mess up with the PC either doesn`t know what he`s talking about, or is trying to sell you the Ryobi for his own reasons, or is insulting you by, in effect, calling you a complete moron ;)

Don`t worry about 7336/7424. The only diffferences are the backing plates and the counterweights, both of which are cheap and easily swapped out. I have one of each and can`t even tell you which is which any more. Oh, you *do* want the 6" counterweight, BTW.

There`s a wealth of info regarding the PC and its use on this site. And you can always ask us about specific Qs. Get the PC, a bunch of pads, and some mild products, and you`ll see why we`re all saying the same thing ;)

raymond_ho2002
12-14-2004, 03:05 PM
You will not not not not not not screw up your paint. Just rely on common sense. You`d have to make an active effort to screw up your paint, i.e., grinding your polishing pad in sand and gravel before polishing your unwashed car with toothpaste.

Seriously though, just make sure your car is clean, make sure the polishing pads are clean. Keep pad flat against the paint (helps to have someone this for you), but this is more for the benefit of the machine than it is a precaution for your paint. Stay away from wool pads to be super-safe, even though chances are that you won`t damage your paint even if you were to use one.

You`ll be comfortable after polishing a few panels. And when you finish you`ll be happy because you`ll have a shiny car.

Eliot Ness
12-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by yellowvert

Rainbow, thanks for the info. I`ll go register. BTW, you said "click here" but the link was not attached. I can probably figure it out but if you have it, great. .......

Here`s the link:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com

And like Accumulator said, about the only way to hurt your car with the PC is to throw it at it.

Also here is link that shows that most models of the PC (Porter-Cable) are the same (just minor differences in counterweights, etc.).

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?L+coastest+hknk0501ff92cc92+1094447778

imported_wblynch
12-14-2004, 03:52 PM
I used the PC 7336 on my Black 2005 Jaguar S-Type. Car came out beautiful. I had to polish out the dealer installed swirl marks.

I have to say I couldn`t resist the urge to break out the rotary to get the worst of the scratches but, being nervous as hell using that thing on a new 50k car, I lucked out and didn`t damage anything.

You will have a very hard time getting in trouble with the PC. Your cars will look better than you ever thought they could.

I can`t recommend Mequiar`s pads though. 2 of my 8006 pads fell apart after polishing only 4 cars.

Rainbow
12-14-2004, 03:54 PM
there is tons of info on the PC at Meguiarsonline. You will not screw up your paint. Hey I am a girl and I use the thing on my Vette. :p If I thought for one minute that I was going to harm my show quality car...I would NEVER use it! It is a simple to use as brushing you teeth!:D

Steve1996LT1
12-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the great info!