PDA

View Full Version : Getting new red truck. Nervous about using NXT

TGates
12-14-2004, 08:45 AM
I recently ordered a 2005 quad cab Dodge Ram Laramie in Flame Red. It will be my daily driver, but will be garaged at night. On my last red car, I used Zaino and loved the look, but I think for a vehicle of this size, Zaino will be too much work, plus that car was not a daily driver, so scratching/swirling was not much of an issue.

I was thinking of polishing with 1ZPP if it needs it, after claying. Follow with Klasse AIO, NXT x2, and top with #16 for durability. I will probably have time to re-wax it at least once every two weeks or so.

I like the NXT because of its cleaning abilities. If I get a boo-boo on the paint, I can use the NXT instead of having to re-polish with 1ZPP, then retreat the area with #16. I have SG, but don`t see a need for it if I`m using NXT, unless it would be okay to use NXT over SG? It seems the NXT would deteriorate some of the SG. Opinions? Suggestions?

vdog0531
12-14-2004, 08:55 AM
why are you so hard pressed to use nxt? ifyou did 1z followed with AIO(which is a much better cleaner than nxt), you are ready for any topper you want. if you did AIO, SG x a few coats, then topped with 16 and did a coat of 16 every few washes or few weeks, you would have a killer combo IMO. i see no need for the NXT.

Vernon

Bill D
12-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Or, you might want to wait and try the new Megs Sealant #21 coming out

TGates
12-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Bill D

Or, you might want to wait and try the new Megs Sealant #21 coming out

Where can I find more information about this Bill?

TGates
12-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by vdog0531

why are you so hard pressed to use nxt? ifyou did 1z followed with AIO(which is a much better cleaner than nxt), you are ready for any topper you want. if you did AIO, SG x a few coats, then topped with 16 and did a coat of 16 every few washes or few weeks, you would have a killer combo IMO. i see no need for the NXT.

Vernon

The reason I am partial to NXT over SG is because it is much easier to work with than SG. I know SG outlasts NXT ten-fold, but with a #16 topper being applied often enough, I don`t see how that would matter much.

tguil
12-14-2004, 06:06 PM
You`re going to love your Dodge Hemi. I have 42,000 miles on my 2003 black Hemi quad cab and it`s still YAHOO! :D

I use NXT exclusively. Last spring I prepped the surface of my Hemi with #83 DACP followed by #82 Swirl Remover and then applied NXT times two. No carnauba topper. I applied NXT Spray Booster Wax about three weeks later and after six weeks I added another coat or two of the NXT Tech Wax. I have followed this procedure for the the past nine months -- Tech Wax every six weeks, Spray Booster in between. I have not used either the #83 or #82 since my first application of NXT.

I use the same process on my wife`s 2002 silver Tacoma.

I apply and remove all products except the NXT Spray Booster with a pc. I apply the Spray Booster by hand using a terry foam applicator and remove it with a microfiber polising cloth.

I use NXT shampoo and always dry my truck with waffle weave microfiber towels.

I`ve been messing with detailing since 1961. I have never previously had the results that I am getting now with the above procedure. NXT is easy to apply and remove and is plenty durable.

By the way NXT looks great on red.

Enjoy the heck out of your new truck, I haven`t had so much fun with a vehicle since my 1967 Chevelle SS 396.

Tom :cool:

tripper_11
12-14-2004, 07:24 PM
I`m not an NXT zealot.

But copying from Scottwax, #80 and NXT x 2 combo for me looks like Zaino. (But not the durability I think). #80 every 6 mos. while NXT x 2 every mo. That`s all I`ve got to do. QD weekly or after every wash.:cool:

imported_Burlyq
12-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by BlackSunshine

I recently ordered a 2005 quad cab Dodge Ram Laramie in Flame Red. It will be my daily driver, but will be garaged at night. On my last red car, I used Zaino and loved the look, but I think for a vehicle of this size, Zaino will be too much work...

One thing I always don`t get is how anyone could think Zaino is more work than any other sealant, unless you mean your putting multiple coats as compared to one coat of something else. I find Zaino to be much easier than SG or NXT. Simply wipe on, wipe off, if there`s any residue (which is never sticky like sg) spray a little Qd, and I have never run into any problems as I have with any other sealants. As a bonus if you were only planning on one coat but had a little left over you can through it on the hood and boom you have two coats on the hood. It doesn`t matter if you put it on too thick or thin the stuff is the most forgiving stuff you can use. So I`m just curious why you feel the Zaino is more work?

Congrats on the Dodge, I bought one 5 months ago but ended up trading it in, I hope you didn`t buy the CA diesel. Other than that model, that is one nice truck. I think for 2005 Dodge has the best truck IMO for the American built. I`ve never been a big fan of Fords, all mine broke down, and with the chevy having cylinder problems, you made the right choice. All that and Dodge is the cheapest, lol.

TGates
12-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Burlyq

One thing I always don`t get is how anyone could think Zaino is more work than any other sealant, unless you mean your putting multiple coats as compared to one coat of something else. I find Zaino to be much easier than SG or NXT. Simply wipe on, wipe off, if there`s any residue (which is never sticky like sg) spray a little Qd, and I have never run into any problems as I have with any other sealants. As a bonus if you were only planning on one coat but had a little left over you can through it on the hood and boom you have two coats on the hood. It doesn`t matter if you put it on too thick or thin the stuff is the most forgiving stuff you can use. So I`m just curious why you feel the Zaino is more work?

Congrats on the Dodge, I bought one 5 months ago but ended up trading it in, I hope you didn`t buy the CA diesel. Other than that model, that is one nice truck. I think for 2005 Dodge has the best truck IMO for the American built. I`ve never been a big fan of Fords, all mine broke down, and with the chevy having cylinder problems, you made the right choice. All that and Dodge is the cheapest, lol.

I guess I should have been more clear in my claim that Zaino will be a lot of work. The actual application/removal of Zaino is a breeze... one of the easiest out there. That`s one of the reasons I use it on the Z06. The main reason I am hesitant to use it on my new Dodge is because, since it will be more prone to sracthes and imperfections than the Z06 that I do not drive every day, and there is no swirl remover in the Zaino line, I would be looking at stripping down the Zaino to remove swirls/scratching and start over.

With the NXT, you get a (very minute) amount of swirl reduction and its cleaning agents will be more friendly on a daily driven/moderatly molested vehicle IMO. I`m not knocking Zaino in any way...I love the heck out of the stuff, but I think upkeep with the NXT (insofar as reapplication/rejuventation) is a tad easier taking into account the usage my truck will be getting.

imported_Burlyq
12-14-2004, 08:12 PM

With the NXT, you get a (very minute) amount of swirl reduction and its cleaning agents will be more friendly on a daily driven/moderatly molested vehicle IMO. I`m not knocking Zaino in any way...I love the heck out of the stuff, but I think upkeep with the NXT (insofar as reapplication/rejuventation) is a tad easier taking into account the usage my truck will be getting.

I could tell you weren`t knocking it and that`s a good point. The one thing I wish Zaino would develop is a cleaner like AIO and something to address swirls. I use p21s and Zaino with very good results against swirls w/o polishing many times, but your right, then your talking about a lengthy detail.

Scottwax
12-14-2004, 10:00 PM

The reason I am partial to NXT over SG is because it is much easier to work with than SG. I know SG outlasts NXT ten-fold, but with a #16 topper being applied often enough, I don`t see how that would matter much.

I don`t know about 10-fold, but yeah, SG is more durable...and less easy to use. I think your plan of AIO/NXT/16 will look excellent and prove to be pretty durable.

foxtrapper
12-15-2004, 06:40 AM
I`ve got NXT over SG on a red Volvo. It looks beautiful with this combination.