PDA

View Full Version : how do you apply SSR 2.0

Pages : [1] 2

mike01svt
12-13-2004, 06:21 PM
I just clayed and washed my 01 mustang cobra, and plan on doing the ClearKote vanilla moose hand glaze, and poor boys EX-P.. but I have SSR 2.0 and want to know what you all do to apply it? and what is the procedure to make it work like it should?

JasonD
12-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Mike,

First, welcome to the board. It`s great to hear from new members.

You don`t apply SSR2 like you do VM and EX. SSR2 is a medium level polish that needs to be worked in which will take a moderate amount of buffing to achieve. Do you plan on doing this by hand or by machine? Regardless, you just work about a 2x2 area at a time until the product start to *dust* or dry up and then wipe off the residue and move on to the next 2x2 area, and so on. If you are doing this with a PC you will achieve much greater results in less than half the time vs. doing a polishing job by hand.

After you are done polishing, then you apply your VM and EX on top of that.

mike01svt
12-13-2004, 06:35 PM
well i dont have a PC yet.. i was going to apply it by hand. thanks for the welcome

mike01svt
12-13-2004, 06:48 PM
So if i buy a PC 7424.. all i want it for is removing swirls what pads will i need with it... just the buffing terry cloth pad?

dcswd
12-13-2004, 06:50 PM
For the PC.. you would need either a Polishing pad or a Cutting pad. A polishing pad will also work well for VM.

By hand, you can use a foam applicator for SSR2.

Eliot Ness
12-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by mike01svt

So if i buy a PC 7424.. all i want it for is removing swirls what pads will i need with it... just the buffing terry cloth pad?

You should start out with a polishing pad and maybe have a light cutting/polishing (orange) pad if needed. You can get the whole kit of pads here on Autopia:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/tps-padkit-da.html

mike01svt
12-13-2004, 06:54 PM
ok i just bought a PC, but it wont be here till thurs. i am going to start with SSR 2.0 by hand.. so i just get out a foam applicator and keep moving it into the paint.. wont it scratch the paint by doing that? seems like you would apply it with a

terry cloth or something? well you all know your stuff... so i will test it out

JasonD
12-13-2004, 06:56 PM
If you buy a PC, I would get one full set of pads which is one cutting pad, one polishing pad, and one finishing pad. You can use SSR2 with either cutting or polishing pad, depending on the severity of the defects you are trying to remove. Just remember that if you buff the car with the cutting pad, you will need to follow behind it with the polishing pad to smooth things out. Some people even suggest using the cutting pad just for the really bad spots and then go over the whole car with the polishing which is a good idea too.

Now that I think about it, you will probably want to get two polishing pads because VM looks great if applied with a polishing pad too and you can`t share pads with SSR2. Finally, use the finishing pad to apply EX and remove it all with a few mf towels. Stay away from terry if you can help it.

Just like dcswd said, if you do this by hand all you need are a few foam applicators to do the buffing with and some mf towels for removal.

dcswd
12-13-2004, 06:57 PM
If you click on "Learn" at the top, you will see a lot of good articles. One of them is on using the PC ( http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=38&c=root )

Also, you can use a terry cloth for SSR2 if you want.

JasonD
12-13-2004, 06:59 PM
A terry cloth towel is actually more aggressive than a foam pad. The absolute best foam applicator, IMO, is the Handi-Grip Applicator found here: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/vk-101.html It will insure that you use even pressure while polishing.

mike01svt
12-13-2004, 07:08 PM
awesome guys.... thanks...

this is what i bought

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?E+coastest

it came with a foam polishing pad.. I am gonna buy the extra pads from autopia

JasonD
12-13-2004, 07:16 PM
The bakingplate and pad it comes with isn`t worth squat. I suggest the Sonus DAS pad kit. It comes with everything you need. Good luck!

mike01svt
12-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Sonüs Dual-Action System Foam Pads: Sonüs DAS Pad Kit

and thats what else i just bought

Here is what i plan to do, correct me if i am wrong..

step 1 ssr 2.0 with pad that comes on PC

step 2 buff off by hand with MF towel

step 3 apply VM with orange pad

step 4 buff off buffing bonnet Orange

step 5 apply exp by hand and remove by hand

sound ok... ?

JasonD
12-13-2004, 07:41 PM
First off, if you have a Sonus DAS pad kit coming with your PC don`t even bother with the white pad the PC is coming with. Mine is still sitting in the box with the stock backingplate in the attic.

Sonus DAS Pads:

Orange Pad - Most aggressive. Cutting pad

Green Pad - Workhorse polishing pad

Blue Pad - Fine polishing pad

Grey Pad - Finishing pad for application of LSP`s

Bonnets - Removal of anything, but I prefer to remove everything by hand

SSR2 should be done with either the orange or green pad. Try it with the green pad first, and see how it looks. If you have areas that just won`t cooperate, then spot buff them with the orange pad and follow with the green again, then buff off by hand.

VM - applied with the blue pad and removed by hand

EX-P - applied with the grey pad and removed by hand. You don`t work this in like the rest, a simple application pass is all you need. Using the PC just assures that you get a nice thin even layer which looks better and is easier to remove. Not much product is needed.

mike01svt
12-13-2004, 07:51 PM
JDookie thanks that is exactly the kind of info i needed, and basic terms as well. thanks... i ordered everything express shipping so i could test it out asap :)