PDA

View Full Version : I don`t know what it is called...

AutoFreak615
12-13-2004, 06:06 PM
but on 2 of the cars i ve worked on, it has many specks on it after polishing. it is not dirt, more like the remnants of the valleys of orange peel but tightly packed together. if you look real close in strong light, you can see them all over the hoods but don`t see them anywhere else on both cars. i used my PC on both cars with FI-II on one and FCRC on another followed with FI-II. (it really needed it) what are they? and how do i remove it? both carws look amazingly wet also. thanks.

jimmybuffit
12-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Betcha didn`t clay...

Jim

stevet
12-13-2004, 06:28 PM
I don`t know if I understand what you are trying to say but it sounds like it could be pitting. The hood gets hit with all kinds of things when the cars is driven and it pits the paint.

AutoFreak615
12-13-2004, 07:13 PM
i clayed, its not that.

stevet, i don`t think its from driving, its too consistant. i ll try to find a pic of something similiar to what i am talking about.

AutoFreak615
12-13-2004, 07:17 PM
its something like this picture from TDEKANY, but not that blurry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/tn_118_1884.jpg

JasonD
12-13-2004, 07:59 PM
what are we looking at in this picture? I see some slight cobwebbing, and a little oxidation but that`s about it. I`m not quite sure what you mean by *specks*. Can you feel them or does it look more like hazing?

blkyukon
12-13-2004, 08:13 PM
I think I know what you are talking about, does it look similar to this:

http://users.ca.astound.net/cal0828/temp/2.jpg

paint defect:nixweiss, They are very hard to see, but I`ve seen it on almost all of dark (black) cars I`ve done with factory paint.

Or this: hazing/micromarring

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/blkyukon/polish/hazing_before.jpg

JasonD
12-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Ohh, could he be talking about trash on the paint itself? Maybe from when the car was painted a few particles landed on it and are now permanent.

6']['9
12-13-2004, 08:36 PM
i think the spots are more like pits in the paint. My dads dodge truck had them. now in that other pic that looks more like micro marring.

AutoFreak615
12-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Blkyukon...BINGO!!!!! well the first pic you posted at least. thats what i am talking about. how do you get rid of them? thanks guys. i am sorry for the confusion but i don`t know what it is called. the word "pit" sounded too harsch to describe it.

pocon1
12-14-2004, 05:11 PM
My white integra has the same sort of thing on different parts of the car. It almost looks like someone took a sharp needle and put tiny little pinpricks in the paint. I am also open to suggestions, and I am about to attack it with a yellow cutting pad and ssr 2.5 (white paint being so hard).

92MX83
12-14-2004, 05:13 PM
I know the pits of which you speak. I am under the (possibly mistaken) impression that they are created when water drops act as a lens focusing sunlight on the paint and burning a hole in the surface (since I find them in places other than just the hood). I`d surmise that a rotary session is in order...

Alfisti
12-14-2004, 08:42 PM
As blkyukon said, its a paint defect. Sometimes in the base-coat and effecting the clear-coat, or just deep pitting in the clear-coat alone.

Polish or product dries white in them and become visible.

Not sure how to rectify it...depends on how bad/deep they are.

Scottwax
12-14-2004, 10:19 PM
It could be rail dust damage. If the car isn`t ABC washed and clayed, when the rail dust finally rusts away, it leaves a pit.

NEW AGAIN
12-14-2004, 11:55 PM
What about rail dust? Could that be what you see and feel, claying will NOT remove it.