PDA

View Full Version : How many use VM? What do you like/dislike about it?

Pages : [1] 2

mgm2003
11-09-2004, 09:35 AM
I tried VM for the first time this weekend.

My first go was on a 1998 Monte Carlo. This car has had a HARD life. It sits outside 24x7, and a hard rain is when it gets washed off. The owner will sit her purse, groceries, etc.. on the paint. It has a few beauty stripes on the hood from an ice scraper and various other scratches, etch marks, etc... -not a pretty site in the sun! It would take A LOT of time to bring it back to full life. That said, the majority of the detail was spend on the interior -and it needed it! The exterior was treated with VM and EX (i.e. - a quick 2 step process -this was a free job) I was impressed after just one coat of VM. We split the hood in 2, one half was AIO and the other VM. In terms of brining the paint back to life VM won hands down. Yes I know this is probably going to stir up the pot!, and no it didn`t convince me to ditch my vast supply of AIO.

Does VM have cleaning abilities?

I noticed that it does help hide the defects (as a glaze should!)

When finished, you have a very clear look.

The VM bottle says something about being a glaze/wax? Does it act like a cleaning wax?

It was very easy on/off?

The product doesn`t smell the best, but a little goes a LONG way. It`s similiar to applying UPP.

What do you guys think of VM? Is it on your top shelf, or another fad product that has come and gone?

rabbi
11-09-2004, 09:40 AM
When I have time to polish+glaze+seal+wax or polish+glaze+wax I`ll always use VM. It is one of my favorite products.

Woob
11-09-2004, 09:56 AM
I`ve used VM once and its a great product, but after seeing Brilliance on metallic silver paint I don`t seed the need to order it up :D Or not... You never know! :lol

groebuck
11-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Woob we used VM on your mustang when you and ZymolKK came over :)

Since it is a glaze it`s going to fill better than AIO would, probably becuase it has more oils in it.

John Styrnol
11-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I used VM a couple of months ago on my X, very nice product. Like you said easy on/easy off. VM has fillers, cleans, makes the paint very shiny and about a month of durability I`ve been told. As of know it`s still on my self.

Raven
11-09-2004, 10:52 AM
I use VM all the time, it does IMO a great job of hiding swirls and leave the paint with a very deep and wet look. Topped with EX and you should be very pleased.

mgm2003
11-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Raven, I agree. EX looks very nice on top of VM.

I`m scratching my head on this one though....

I use AIO (cleaner/polish) as a `base coat` for many of my sealers. What I found is that I can use VM the same way as AIO. You can apply VM and AIO to your trim, plastic, paint, windows -basically all surfaces. Both don`t do anything to REMOVE defects, but IMO VM does a better job of hiding them.

You nailed another key difference too (IMO):
VM gives you a deep wet look, where AIO doesn`t.

What are the advantages of using AIO over VM (assuming that you don`t plan to use the Klasse SG sealer)?

I hope my post doesn`t come across the wrong way. I`m not trying to call out all of the AIO loyalists (because I use and like AIO too).

Scott P
11-09-2004, 12:08 PM
VM and AIO are different animals. AIO is a great cleaner and leaves behind an acrylic. VM is a unique product that fits a few different categories. It has very minor polishing properties. It does contain a fair amount of oils because it is a glaze. It also does contain a small amount of petroleum-based wax.

I typically don`t use VM as a cleaner. I prefer AIO, Pro Polish or SSR2.5 as a first step. I use VM after my SSR steps and before my last step product. I`ve gotten good results when used under carnauba waxes, EX/EX-P and I`ve seen good reports of VM and UPP.

It also is nice on glass, doesn`t stain trim and is used on the plastic on many SUV`s.

Raven
11-09-2004, 01:25 PM
MGM, I believe that if you use AIO over VM it would just remove all the VM. As Scott P said AIO is a cleaner and IMO a very good one. It leaves a very shiny and clean surface. It all a matter of what your looking for, Clearer look AIO, deep wet look VM. I have a black car and love the look of VM, topped with EX, then topped again with either PS or P21S.

mgm2003
11-09-2004, 02:22 PM
I didn`t mean to imply that I used VM then AIO or vice versa. I decided to try VM & EX instead of AIO & EX (quick 2 step process) on a dark green Monte Carlo. In the end, I could of just used a cleaner wax and kept it to a one step process, but I wanted to try out my VM since I just received it.

mtodde
11-09-2004, 04:02 PM
I used VM for the first time 2 weeks ago. As others have mentioned, it does fill in a bit and is very, very clear. It is easy to use, very thin, needs to be shaken well before using and a little goes a very long way.

I topped it with EX-P and my car has the best clarity and reflectivity I`ve seen to date.

Fallguy
11-09-2004, 04:30 PM
I think there is some confusion here.
The the VM is a cleaner/polish/wax and they also have a VM hand glaze and a VM carnuba wax .

What product are you talking about ??

Scott P
11-09-2004, 04:36 PM
I think there is some confusion here.
The the VM is a cleaner/polish/wax and they also have a VM hand glaze and a VM carnuba wax .

What product are you talking about ??

There is only one VM, or Vanilla Moose.

The Clearkote Wax Collection -

Moose Wax - Strong cleaner wax
Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze - The product described in this thread.
Carnauba Moose Wax - Pure carnauba Wax with no cleaners.

Hope this helps.

mgm2003
11-09-2004, 05:11 PM
As ScottP stated above, we`re talking about Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze.

Pat
11-09-2004, 07:17 PM
I love VM for a number of reasons, mostly because you get an excellent finish with the least amount of effort but I actually like Sonus Paintwork Cleanser a little better. The only thing is it takes a little more effort to work with, but the end result looks even better than VM and it doesn`t contain any oils, so you can top it with anything you want. SPC does a much better job of hiding swirls and/or light scratches and also lasts longer since its more of a polish instead of a glaze. That being said, when I want to just quickly *get it over with* I reach for VM.