PDA

View Full Version : 3M RC and MG by hand process?

thedarksyde
12-13-2004, 08:43 AM
What is the exact hand application process of RC and MG?

For example, I used a terry cloth applicator to put on RC by hand, and while rubbing it in, it dried and flaked off, is this correct? How much should i be using?

Do you just apply it and let it dry then buff it off with the MF?

JasonD
12-13-2004, 09:04 AM
You should be using a foam pad instead of a terry applicator. Terry, IMO, is too aggressive and will leave marring behind and it will also suck up too much product. The RC will dry up to a clay like substance will you are working it, this is normal. Basically, try to keep nice even strokes and work a small 2x2 area at a time. You shouldn`t need much product once your pad is loaded, and just work it until it starts to dry and wipe it off. If you still see whatever defect you are trying to get out, work the area again. Don`t work it too long past its drying point or it will be hard to get off, I learned this the hard way. RC is just that, rubbing compound. You need to rub it in to do it`s job. Think of it like a super fine sandpaper and you are smoothing out the paint/cc to near perfection. This is why you want to try to keep your strokes even, so it looks uniform. Hope this helps.

By the way, if you want to save yourself a WHOLE lot of effort buy a PC. You will produce a much better looking finish and still have an arm left.

Accumulator
12-13-2004, 11:38 AM
What JDookie said, though I`ll sometimes use MF instead of foam.

While you need to break down the RC, the MG doesn`t need it as much. If you let the RC do most of the work, you`ll only need a fairly light effort with the MG to remove any RC micromarring (shouldn`t be much at all).

I did some areas on the MPV with these by hand yesterday, and I can`t think of any important stuff I need to mention. Break down the RC, use it to do all the correction, then use the MG. Just takes time and patience.

But yeah, I`d get a PC whenever finances allow.

thedarksyde
12-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by JDookie

By the way, if you want to save yourself a WHOLE lot of effort buy a PC. You will produce a much better looking finish and still have an arm left.

Hopefully I will be getting one for Christmas, but if not I will be able to buy one before spring...