PDA

View Full Version : How do you polish parts of car you can`t do with PC

dschribs
12-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Just wondering how you guys do the parts of the car you can`t do with a PC? Most cars have these spots and I was wondering what everyone does? Say you are doing the whole car with Meg`s 83, what would you do on the parts of the car that the PC couldn`t effectively be used on - such as inside recessed parking lights on a Firebird or small part of a tail gate under an emblem on a pick up? Do you just use the product on a foam pad, a MF, just not do those spots? This has bothered me since I bought my PC...

White95Max
12-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Whenever I use my PC for any step, I always have to do some spots with a hand applicator. In fact, I don`t even bother to do the front bumper with the PC at all because it`s just too intricate to do much with the PC.

Eliot Ness
12-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Yep, what Paul said about foam applicators^^^^^^

You can also get 4" pads for the PC that work well for some smaller areas and spot touch-ups. Here`s a source for some along with the smaller backing plate you`ll need:

http://www.properautocare.com/4inspotreppa.html

Accumulator
12-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Plus, sometimes you can get in there by using a *bigger* pad, using its edge or even the top side of it. The PC is so mild you can be sorta creative with it without worrying too much about messing things up. But yeah, there are always spots you have to do by hand. Sometims I`ll even use cotton or foam swabs to get in really tight areas.

Bill D
12-12-2004, 08:21 PM
For extreme detailing like intense engine and undercaraige detailing, a Dremel with various attachments as well as cloth polishing wheels for drills to be used with vrious grade rogues will come in handy. I recently picked up some rogues and one of these cotton polishing wheels/disks for the drill I think it is 1 1/4" diameter

MongooseGA
12-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Like Accumulator said. I use the edge of the pad in tighter spots. As long as I have a good portion of the pad in contact with the paint, I haven`t had a problem with ripping or disconnecting.

STBear
12-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Great question. I was wondering too.

usdm
12-12-2004, 10:05 PM
I use a compact drill with a 3 or 4 inch pad. Its kinda

tricky though, as there is no speed adjustment- I have

to modulate the speed via trigger pressure.

stevet
12-13-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by usdm

I use a compact drill with a 3 or 4 inch pad. Its kinda

tricky though, as there is no speed adjustment- I have

to modulate the speed via trigger pressure.

I`d be really careful with that. Obviously the drill does not have the dual action random orbit of a PC. You are basicaly using a rotary.

imported_pugoman
12-13-2004, 05:09 AM
The 4" PC pads can make life alot easier - but failing that, as the others have said, you just need to get in there with a sponge applicator by hand.