PDA

View Full Version : #16 or collinite 476/845

twopu
12-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Looking to get ready for the Jersey winter but I can`t decide between these products. From what I have gathered #16 is easier to use and looks much better but the collinite last longer. How many months can I expect out of these products and how noticable of a difference will there be? Which collinite do you prefer?

Thanks

holland_patrick
12-11-2004, 02:26 PM
I was told they are both the same I have used 476 for a long time and found it great for winter time. i`m not sure how long because I wax often and never let it sit that long.. while i neevr compared it to other products because i`m a new member also but it it very long lasting

twopu
12-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Where do you get your collinite?

holland_patrick
12-11-2004, 03:00 PM
I get mine from a detail supplier he sell car bright but other things also my first buy was 9 years ago i have not be stingy with the collinite and i just got my second can. anyways you can find it online .

patrick

Eliot Ness
12-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by twopu

Here is one place to buy it on-line:

http://www.mactecllc.com/collinite.asp

Their prices are a tad higher but shipping is included. I ordered some from them a couple of weeks ago w/o any problems. Also Collinite has said their Fleetwax (#885) is identical to the 476S. The reason I mention this is Fleetwax comes in a larger can (12 oz.) so it works out a little less per ounce.

Here is a thread on Collinite that also lists different sources:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46233&highlight=collinite

twopu
12-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info!!!

stevet
12-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I have all 3 of the products you have mentioned. I like 845 Insulator Wax the best. It`s the easiest to use of the three and IMO looks the best.

For appearance and ease of use I rank them

For durability

All three are great waxes.

stevet
12-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by holland_patrick

I was told they are both the same I have used 476 for a long time and found it great for winter time.

476 is a paste, 845 is a thick liquid.

holland_patrick
12-11-2004, 03:41 PM
opps my bad I was thinking of the Fleet wax..

Don
12-12-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by twopu

I got mine from Advance Auto Parts (the # 845) they have it it their `Marine` section. Not all AA`s have it though. What I did was to go to AA`s web site and do a search with mailing zip codes in my area. I eventually found a store 23 miles away for + / - $12/pint (OF COURSE, I made the drive ;) )

Accumulator
12-12-2004, 11:16 AM
IIRC, the Fleetwax is supposedly the same as the 476S. Dunno for sure though. On many vehicles the 476S looks *almost* as nice as #16, very few people would notice *any* difference. But on other colors (see my post in Product Forum) the difference is striking.

I prefer the look of #16 but find 476S most durable. Haven`t used IW too much (gave it to a needy in-law :D ) but I did think its apprearance dropped off a little after a few washes. Good stuff for a (sorta)liquid though and it didn`t look as good *to me* as the #16 to begin with.

imported_NYV6Coupe
12-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Check CarQuest for #845, in Western New York it`s selling for $9.95

This thread provides a lot of Collinte info:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47178

stevet
12-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by NYV6Coupe

Check CarQuest for #845

Thats where I got mine.

AlexRuiz
12-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by stevet

Thats where I got mine.

Do ALL carquest store carry the 845? I tried the one in Lincoln Park, MI and the freaking store looked more like a flea market..... Needless to say, no 845 :(

My personal advice is to get 476S. Looks great on dark paints, white and reds, decent on metallics and light colors. My experience has been easy to apply and remove (I cover the entire car before removing it) The stuff is tough, the regular washes make no dent to it and the beading is incredible. 845 is easier to apply because it is liquid, it is slicker, looks the same IMO but lasts less time (used both 476S and 845 in the wheels as test. 476 beads more)

The secret to make it a breeze (476S) is machine application, finishing pad, very very thin. Removal by machine, final wipeout with MF. I have dared to let it sit for 2 hours, and the stuff is still easy to remove. However, the applications are so thin you can barely see the haze...... the PC is your friend ;)

The consensus is that #16 will look better, but any Collinite will last longer. However, neither of the Collinites looks bad, in fact, I think they look great and I am using 476S as my new main wax for friends and relatives cars that I know need the protection, or are not easily available for refreshenings. Given the fact that the salt and mud will hide your shiny paint, a little extra protection can be more useful.

476S gets my vote! 845 second. #16 may be a choice if you will be able to do a midtrem refreshening .

Alex

stevet
12-13-2004, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by AlexRuiz

Do ALL carquest store carry the 845? I tried the one in Lincoln Park, MI and the freaking store looked more like a flea market..... Needless to say, no 845 :(

The two that I was in did. They were in the Niagara Falls NY area.