PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

imported_Aurora40
12-11-2004, 01:21 PM
I tried this product out the other day on the driver`s seat of my wife`s Regal. I figured this would be a good product for it, being an all-in-one. I first wiped the seat down with a hot, wet terry cloth towel, then I applied the Pinnacle with a terry pad. I expected it to be fairly cleany and chemically, but it`s not. It actually has pretty light cleaning ability and left the leather feeling nice and soft. It really wasn`t up to the task of cleaning the Regal seat, though cleaner/conditioners usually work fine on it.

I was actually very impressed with the surface it left and with how much it`s like a conditioner rather than a cleaner. It also smells just like Pinnacle Leather Conditioner, but not quite as strong. And it leaves a soft finish instead of a slick one.

Since the slickness is the one thing I don`t like so much about the Pinnacle Conditioner, I decided to try this out today on the Aurora. Again, I wiped the leather down with a hot, damp terry cloth towel, then used the cleaner/conditioner with a terry applicator. I really like the softness it leaves on the leather, something I always liked about Lexol. And it still leaves that nice Pinnacle smell, though it`s not as pronounced. There was very little dirt that came off on the applicator, but then there weren`t any dirty areas or marks on the leather.

I actually think this will be my product of choice now on the Aurora. My leather doesn`t ever really get dirty, and this is a lot easier and less messy than bringing out the bucket of water to use with the Lexol cleaner. I`ll definitely still use the Lexol if the leather seems dirty, but between the damp towel and the very light cleaning in the Pinnacle, the leather gets cleaned and conditioned in a very easy few steps. And now my leather feels nice and soft like leather should feel. :) :xyxthumbs

Pats300zx
12-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Great review. I picked some up as well as part of the Autogeek promotion. Really looking forward to trying it out on the leather seats in my 300ZX and 350Z.

SK2003TypeS
12-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Nice Writeup !

I really like the softness and scent as well. It`s a nice all in one product as you mentioned. My usual routine is to wipe everything down with a damp MF, wipe any excess off with another MF, then apply and remove with 2 more MFs.

The slippery feeling goes in a few days, so it`s ok for me.

....speaking of which, I haven`t treated my leather in some time. :o

imported_Aurora40
12-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Geez, I forgot to mention. On both cars I then buffed the leather with another terry towel afterwards. :)

MattZ28
12-11-2004, 05:37 PM
A soft, smooth surface was exactly what I wanted on the Excursion`s two-tone leather seats. Pinnacle Leather Cleaner/Conditioner did exactly that...left a soft, smooth surface. I really like the product...not an overwhelming smell, easy to use, and a very nice finish.

mtodde
12-11-2004, 06:23 PM
I experienced an issue with a little slickness as I had to drive some where within about 30 minutes of applying & buffing the Pinnacle Cleaner/Conditioner off, but it was nowhere nearly as pronounced as what I experienced with Gold Class for 2 weeks after application.

When I drove back home the slickness was gone and the finish & smell were very nice. I prefer separate cleaners & conditioners but this is the best 1 step product I`ve tried to date. I got a compliment on my seats from a friend that rode in the car today.

imported_Burlyq
12-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

It really wasn`t up to the task of cleaning the Regal seat, though cleaner/conditioners usually work fine on it.

I was actually very impressed with the surface it left and with how much it`s like a conditioner rather than a cleaner.

That`s why I prefer a two step product because I personally believe it will protect your leather better long term if it has no cleaners. All the big names Lexol, Leatherique or Leather in a Bottle systems have the cleaner that disapates and leaves the surface primed for the conditioner. Leatherique somehow uses them backwards but it`s obviously good stuff. One step products are time savers but I never been a fan of them. Leather is tricky stuff, it has to be cleaned well then conditioned to maximize life expectancy. However, I`m sure using pinnacle is better than nothing but you do you think the leather is better off with a cleaner in the conditioner? I have a friend with a nice BMW in great condition. However, she kept up with the paint protection but let the leather go. It`s cracked and seperating and the seams are starting to split, get this, the car is only 5 years old. She parks it outside everyday. Some fool quoted her 1400 bucks to replace the leather. If I had leather, glad I don`t, I wouldn`t take chances.

imported_memnuts
12-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Burlyq,

I think you are missing the point of this product. For the Autopian type like us, this is a quick spruce-up product for the time between a major 2-step process. For the Joe average car owner this is a product the combines 2 steps which meets his need and time allotted to detailing.

Pinnacle describes this product as such. JMHO

I too like this as a quik leather care product. :xyxthumbs

Excellent review Bob. :wavey

imported_Burlyq
12-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Burlyq,

I think you are missing the point of this product. For the Autopian type like us, this is a quick spruce-up product for the time between a major 2-step process.

Actually I`m sure pinnacle is an awesome product, most of their stuff is good. I`m not missing any points, I`m the type of freak that starts detailing a car at beakfast and finishes a midnight. I wouldn`t put a one step like AIO on car and walk away, no-no-no, I`m sealing it, waxing it, and QD it for dust resistance. If they can come up with 10 more steps I`ll do those too. Having said that I never feel 2 step leather cleaners are a major two step, with the exception being leatherique because it can be time consuming.

imported_Aurora40
12-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

For the Autopian type like us, this is a quick spruce-up product for the time between a major 2-step process. For the Joe average car owner this is a product the combines 2 steps which meets his need and time allotted to detailing.

Pinnacle describes this product as such. JMHO

Hey Edwin, yup that`s it. Though I`m not sure this product has enough cleaning power for the average-joe one-step. It wouldn`t really cut it on the Regal.

One thing I really like is that it is so light on cleaning power. The Aurora basically never needs a two-step process. The leather just doesn`t get that dirty, but I still do it because it needs *some* cleaning. So I soak it down to use the Lexol cleaner, but it feels like overkill and the leather gets soo wet.

Sometimes I just wipe it all down with a hot wet terry cloth towel, then use Pinnacle Leather Conditioner on it, but I`m not always comfortable using it on leather I didn`t really clean (even though it really isn`t dirty). So I really kind of like this cleaner/conditioner. I`ll still use the two-step when needed, like after road trips in the Aurora, or after driving a group of people around, but these are rare occurences. So it`s nice to have a conditioner with a slight bit of cleaning for those times when the leather really isn`t dirty at all and I want to just put a bit more conditioning into it (and a bit more Pinnacle smell into the cockpit). Like you said, it`s like a quick detailer for leather. And for my car, that`s a great analogy. Rarely does my car get dirty anymore that it needs a wash, so a great quick detailer is what I need more than a great car wash. Now I have the same thing for my leather. :wavey

imported_Aurora40
12-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Burlyq

I wouldn`t put a one step like AIO on car and walk away, no-no-no, I`m sealing it, waxing it, and QD it for dust resistance. If they can come up with 10 more steps I`ll do those too.

I wouldn`t do a 10-step process on a car that just needed dust removal. This weekend I wiped my car down with Crystal Mist and did the interior. I could have pulled it out and washed it, polished it, sealed it, and waxed it, but the car didn`t need that. It wouldn`t look any better, and it wouldn`t benefit the paint to do that.

However, I`m one of the guys that likes to use as little product as possible to do things. I don`t like putting more chemicals in the environment, or on my skin, or in my lungs, than I need to. And I don`t like polishing the paint or putting water into the body more than is needed. But of course I`ll do whatever is needed (for the most part) to keep my car looking great. So maybe we just have a difference of opinion. :nixweiss :)