PDA

View Full Version : How to minimize appearance of deep scratches on valance? (Audi A4)

piblondin
12-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Okay, so somehow I got some really deep + wide + visible scratches on my front valance down in front of the left front tire. (They`re probably like .2 inches by 2.5 inches.) The valance is gray--unpainted, I believe, as the car is a 2002 A4. If you`re familiar with these cars, you know what I`m talking about. Anyhow, the scratches are showing up almost white + I was wondering how I could minimize their appearance and make them gray like the rest of the valance. All the other scratches I have on it appear gray.... (Yes, it`s pretty much impossible to avoid scratches on the front valance if you do much highway driving.) Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Accumulator
12-10-2004, 12:51 PM
According to Jeff Stalker, bodyshop manager at Stoddard Imports (they`re good, dealership or not), the valence on your A4 is colored all the way through. You should be able to *carefully* wetsand the scratches out. But note that the sanded areas won`t have the same texture as the unsanded/original parts.

Disclaimer: that was what *he* said, I`m just repeating it. I`d trust him, but you`ll have to make up your own mind.

piblondin
12-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I`ve never wetsanded before, but I think I`ll give it a try tonight.

Accumulator
12-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by piblondin

I`ve never wetsanded before, but I think I`ll give it a try tonight.

Just be very careful and take it really slow and easy. Sorta like using a drill, where you can`t go back and "drill a smaller hole" ;)

piblondin
12-10-2004, 08:14 PM
I totally f`d it up by wet sanding. I think I should have tried to fill in the scratches with paint. Oh well. Looks like I`ll be dropping some $$ for a new valance. Here`s how it looks now:

http://www.gen-o.com/autopia/valance.jpg

TurboCat
12-10-2004, 08:38 PM
I was going to suggest that you try a product like ValuGard Trim N` Molding renewer to darken the scratches so that they are less noticeable. I have a VW Passat that has the same molding as your A4, and Jim @ Jimmy Buff-Its applied some of this stuff on my molding last week and it looks great.

http://www.autoint.com/autostore/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=22

Accumulator
12-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by piblondin

I totally f`d it up by wet sanding. I think I should have tried to fill in the scratches with paint. Oh well. Looks like I`ll be dropping some $$ for a new valance.

Sorry to see that....that`s the sort of thing I was worried about (hence my "disclaimer" that the sanding was Jeff`s idea). I like the sound of TurboCat/JimmyBuffit`s solution better but that doesn`t help *you* out any now, huh?

Those look too deep to really fix anyhow....but I wonder if you could make it better (for now) by using a dressing that`ll darken the sanded areas and help blend them into the rest of it. I`d consider something silicon-heavy like Griot`s Undercarriage Spray or else the Trim Renewer, just as a temporary/make up fix. Apply to sanded area, let sit, buff off, then apply to the whole valence.

But then I`d sure understand if you`d rather not take *my* advice on this one any more :o