PDA

View Full Version : Applying and removing AIO

B737Capt
12-08-2004, 11:21 PM
I applied AIO with PC and grey Sonus pad. The results were very good but it took a bit of effort to remove with MF towel. Should it take that much effort or am I maybe using too much? How much is enough? The weather here has been very humid. Would that effect its removal? What do you use apply AIO to small and thin areas that are not big enough for PC? I used a MF applicator but it didn`t seem to work too well. Seemed as though alot of the product was absorbed into the applicator.

JasonD
12-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Sorry, I typed a long reply and then my browser locked up and I lost it so now you get the short version.

The humidity probably had a lot to do with your removal problem because it`s normally extremely easy to remove.

Next time, use the blue Sonus pad. You will be more impressed with the results since AIO has some *slight* polishing ability and the grey pad won`t do anything to complement this.

Last, remove AIO right after you apply it to an area like a fender, half of the hood, door, etc. and don`t let it sit on there. There`s no bonding time so removing it right away is fine.

TW85 HHI
12-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Use a foam applicator. The MF applicators absorb too much product which I think is fine if you are doing the entire car but not when you`re only doing tight areas by hand.

YoSteve
12-09-2004, 01:31 AM
the microfiber applicator should be damp, you should rinse and wring it often as you are in the "cleaning" phase of waxing. As an added bonus as you "load" up your applicator with a little product, you only have to add little amounts after that.

And if you`re going to do successive coats of AIO you don`t need to buff between them, just on the last one :)

IMO, save the foam for the SG. You wanna work in the AIO. By hand, foam just lays the product on.

BillNorth
12-09-2004, 10:53 AM
The humiduty should not have been a factor. AIO is one of the most user freindly products. My guess is that you used too much. With AIO, a little will go a long way.

JasonD
12-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by BillNorth

The humiduty should not have been a factor. AIO is one of the most user freindly products. My guess is that you used too much. With AIO, a little will go a long way.

You don`t think? I find that whenever the humidity is high, everything goes whacky. I had a REALLY hard time getting SG off my car once and I was told it was because of the humidity (60-70%) so I assumed AIO could be affected like this as well.

maecrispy
12-09-2004, 11:17 AM
I too found AIO a bit harder to remove than some of the other products I use but I wouldn`t say it`s tought at all.

To remove, I use two different towels. First, I remove most of the product with a towel with some bite to it like Meg`s Ultimates. Then I follow that up with a nice buffing towel like Pakshak`s or Miracle towel. Together, it`s pretty easy to remove. I would say slightly harder than EX-P, Wolfgang, VW (nothing`s easier than VM :) )etc... but in general, AIO is still easy to remove.

Any really stubborn spots, I just hit with a bit of QD and then remove.

For spots that the PC can`t reach well, I just use the regular yellow circular foam pads.

BillNorth
12-09-2004, 11:29 AM
For some products, humidity can be a factor, and for others it will make no difference. There is no universal rule that humidty will affect all products.

I`ve found one towel fine for removing AIO. Never needed two.

B737Capt
12-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Bill,

How much product would you apply to a PC pad per panel, say the hood of a car? What do you use for small tight areas to apply AIO with?

Thank you everyone for your input!

stevet
12-09-2004, 11:55 AM
When I apply AIO by hand with a damp MF app it is a very user freindly product. When I apply with a PC I find AIO can become difficult to buff off. IMO it is best applied by hand. I use less product by hand and I can apply to the entire car much faster by hand.

BillNorth
12-09-2004, 12:53 PM
B737Capt,

When talking about sections/panels of the car, the bigger sections/panels should be divided into smaller peices. For the hood, I divide it into three equal pieces, and work on each seperately.

For AIO, I use a polishing pad, and I apply a very thin line of product around 2/3 of the diameter of the pad. I smear the pad on the panel first with the machine off. I then start at speed 2 for the first couple of passes and up to speed 4 for the rest of the way. There is very little residue left when I go to buff off by hand.

For small tight areas I apply AIO with a terry covered foam applicator by hand. Terry has more bite than foam, which makes it a good fit for AIO by hand application (AIO has cleaners).

stevet,

A PC will help to maximize the cleaning power of AIO more so than by hand. If you are finding it tough to remove via PC, and you are using much more product than by hand, then you are definitely using too much. JMO.

jonw440
12-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Humidity will make the AIO more difficult to remove. Be sure and wipe it off immediately!

A damp MF will also help

98RegalGS
01-08-2005, 09:43 PM
My Klasse AIO/SG combo came with two Sonus Der Wunder applicators, both are orangish in color, and I also ordered 3 foam pads.

Which do I use for AIO and then SG? thanks

spotpad
01-13-2005, 09:04 PM
See the full answer from this link: Proper Klasse Application (http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/inf-klasse.html).

To paraphrase: use foam to apply AIO and a polishing cloth for wiping it off. Use a microfiber applicator to apply SG and a buffing towel for "removal" (read: buffing).

I use a microfiber towel to buff off SG. I also prefer to wipe on and wipe off immediately without letting AIO or SG dry to a haze.