PDA

View Full Version : Questions on ColorX, VM and EX

RCBuddha
12-08-2004, 10:02 PM
I will be starting my first detail w/ the PC on saturday, and I had a few questions before i start:

1. What kind of pad do i use for a product like ColorX? How long do i work it? (not using this weekend)

2. How long do i work VM with a polishing pad? Will I be using more of it, b/c its so thin?

3. VM can be used on glass, what exactly will it do if i polish the glass with it? Is it for clarity? Or is it for protection?

4. Any tips on cleaning headliners? Nylon brush with what kind of chemical? Or should i use soap and water?

5. Should I apply EX Sealant like a wax? Apply, spread, let haze, buff?

I appreciate any help/insight/advice/suggestions!

Buddha

Scottwax
12-08-2004, 10:17 PM
1. I`d use ColorX with a polishing pad. I`ve only tried it by hand a couple times, I don`t think it really breaks down like Meguiars 80 series products because all Meguiars consumer products are formulated to work well by hand, so they are also very easy to use by machine. I`d say make a couple of moderate speed passes back and forth, then one real slow back and forth pass.

2. I usually do 3-4 slow to moderate passes with VM.

3. Using VM on the glass will deep clean it and also repel water like RainX does but for a lot longer.

4. I`d just use a damp towel and upholstry shampoo. I`d really avoid having to use a brush if at all possible. Headliner material is usually pretty thin in most vehicles. Scrubbing is a last resort.

5. If you are using EX w/carnauba, apply to the whole vehicle then remove. With EX-P, apply to the whole vehicle and then wait 15-60 minutes (it will wipe off with ease at 15 minutes but it says on the bottle the longer you let it sit before removing, the better it looks.

6. Post pics. :)

RCBuddha
12-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick response! :up

Originally posted by Scottwax

6. Post pics. :)

Will Do! :xyxthumbs

chaotik
12-09-2004, 02:24 AM
Just got in some goodies I ordered from SMP`s sale last weekend (SSR1, SSR 2.5, Nattys, EX-P, and VM)

What kinds of speeds would you recommend for the SSR`s, EX-P, and VM??

RCBuddha
12-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Here`s the link to the detail that i did on friday:

4Runner Pictures (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47639)

I ended up using 80, EX and CMW....