PDA

View Full Version : posted this on another board. tell me what you think of my detailing writeup.

andrew300
12-08-2004, 07:08 PM
posted a detailing write up here : http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?p=579174#post579174 i thought people should learn the autopian way of detailing a car. Let me know what you think. Beware its long :)

MongooseGA
12-08-2004, 07:20 PM
very nice :bow

Thomas Dekany
12-08-2004, 07:40 PM
good info - except I have a question for you.

**Sealants last up to a year and protect your paint from the enviorment.**

Which sealant lasts that long?

andrew300
12-08-2004, 07:49 PM
maybe i should edit that. i have put 4 coats of klasse sg over aio on and they lasted close to a year with coats of wax over it every month. my zaino lasted pretty long also but one coat definately will not last that long

Thomas Dekany
12-08-2004, 08:31 PM
I see!

Thanks for the explanation.

Corey Bit Spank
12-08-2004, 08:43 PM
I used to believe the sealant lasting longer thing but...in reality, I get about the same durability out of a good carnauba.

BookemDano
12-09-2004, 08:45 AM
manawar,

Very good write up. Excellent detail! (Pun intended.)

One issue though - The content is EXCELLENT, but it`s a bit difficult to read because of very long paragraphs with multiple topics. For example, your first paragraph seems to have two topics. The first topic relates to the problem you see with how people detail cars. The second relates to what you are doing about it. Another example is the "Step 1" paragraph - it has about eight topics.

Please consider breaking the text into more paragraphs. For example, break up your first paragraph into two paragraphs starting with the text,

"So I decided to make a thread...". And, in the "Step 1" paragraph, break each topic (e.g. "Towels: ") out as a separate paragraph.

IMO, making these minor formatting changes will take a very good write up and make it an EXCELLENT write up.

Regards,

Dan.

the other pc
12-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Well done manawar!

I don`t intend to be critical because you did a fine job. I do have a couple of possible suggestions.

You point out that the pc is a polisher and is safer than a rotary but there`s not a description of what a pc actually is. A reader who follows your link back to Autopia would eventually figure it out but mentioning the make and model might be helpful.

The whole concept of detailing clay is entirely foreign to most people. You did good job describing how and when to clay but I think that it`s such a new concept to most people that it would be helpful to explain what detailing clay is and why it`s so great.

Keep up the good work!

PC.

wash-girl
12-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

Well done manawar!

You point out that the pc is a polisher and is safer than a rotary but there`s not a description of what a pc actually is. A reader who follows your link back to Autopia would eventually figure it out but mentioning the make and model might be helpful.

The whole concept of detailing clay is entirely foreign to most people. You did good job describing how and when to clay but I think that it`s such a new concept to most people that it would be helpful to explain what detailing clay is and why it`s so great.

I completely agree with these observations and would also add that when testing whether clay is needed, it is much easier to put your hand in a plastic bag before running your finger over the paint. Most people`s naked fingers will probably not be sensitive enough to feel as well as they would in plastic. Tell them to clay a section and then do the plastic bag test on the clayed compared to the un-clayed.

andrew300
12-09-2004, 03:11 PM
ok guys i changed it a little to make it a bit to make it easier to read. thanks for the input and i clarified more on clay. let me know what else to change as i am trying to get it stickied

BookemDano
12-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by manawar

ok guys i changed it a little to make it a bit to make it easier to read. thanks for the input and i clarified more on clay. let me know what else to change as i am trying to get it stickied

OK!!!! I`ve just upgraded my rating to EXCELLENT! :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

Best regards,

Dan.

rrcvc
12-10-2004, 11:11 AM
:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs good writeup!!!

rrcvc
12-10-2004, 11:31 AM
:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs good writeup!!!