PDA

View Full Version : is there a temp. too cold to wax in?

jonnymabey330
12-08-2004, 12:28 PM
would you say that it could be too cold to wax? same with claying

gto78
12-08-2004, 03:32 PM
personally i dont know for a fact BUT in my opinion the pores of the paint will be tighter and less likely to absorb the wax if its cold out. The wax will also be less pliable and not go on as easily and not spread as far. Liquid waxes may be better off.

White95Max
12-08-2004, 04:57 PM
As far as claying, I`d say that 32F is the limit. Most clay lubes would freeze on the paint, unless you used a bucket of warm soapy water for the lube. Still, you would not have much time (depending on the temperature) to clay and remove the lube before it froze.

I`ve waxed my car when the temp was below freezing before without any problems. It may have some effect on durability or something, but I have a hard time going more than 6 weeks without waxing my car, so I do it just because I want to.

gto78
12-08-2004, 05:04 PM
OMG u waxed below 32 degrees? I cant imagine doing anything when its cold out. I cant function at that temp

forrest@mothers
12-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Most waxes will not flash off (haze) in less than 50ºF or so.

If you`re below that temp, air movement (a fan) can help, but you`ll frequently get smearing and streaking, and a product that`s difficult to remove.

jonnymabey330
12-08-2004, 10:15 PM
yeah i waxed my sisters c320 in 29degree weather and it was pretty streaky. its going to warm up to about 50 in the next couple days so im going to do a winter wax and hope i can go a week or two without wanting to wax it.

Scottwax
12-08-2004, 10:20 PM
I can work in temps as low as the upper 20s but stick with higher solvent products since the PDs don`t freeze until lower temps.

I really, really don`t like working in that kind of cold but in the winter, I work as long as the sun is out and it is at least close to the freezing mark. BTW, if the vehicle is in the sun, the surface will be much warmer than the air temperature.

jonnymabey330
12-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I can work in temps as low as the upper 20s but stick with higher solvent products since the PDs don`t freeze until lower temps.

I really, really don`t like working in that kind of cold but in the winter, I work as long as the sun is out and it is at least close to the freezing mark. BTW, if the vehicle is in the sun, the surface will be much warmer than the air temperature.

that brings up another question... if its cold is it still bad to wax in direct sunlight? i am assuming it is but i always thought it was the heat that created swirls but maybe i was wrong

lbls1
12-08-2004, 10:30 PM
I sneeked in a quick December wax this past weekend....have to admit it was a first. It was a bit over 50 degrees out. It is generally not a good idea to wax at any temp below 50, as your outcome will be left to some risk.

I will usually quit waxing from Nov. until April when Spring returns.

Scottwax
12-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by jonnymabey330

that brings up another question... if its cold is it still bad to wax in direct sunlight? i am assuming it is but i always thought it was the heat that created swirls but maybe i was wrong

The paint won`t be blistering hot if it is below freezing. The problem with hot paint is polishes can`t be spread properly and broken down when the carriers evaporate immediately.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-09-2004, 04:38 AM
If you wash the vehicle and the water turns to ice, then it is too cold to wax.

Here in Southern New Jersey we have had many days during the past month where the 8 AM temperatures have started out between 28 and 32 degrees. As long as the vehicle is in the sun there is usually no problem washing and waxing a vehicle at these temperatures.

togwt
12-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Temperature conditions:

These are the temperatures and conditions that are relative to the application of car care products; the most important is the actual surface temperature of the vehicle. The other things that will have a direct bearing on this is the humidity as this will effect the cross-linking (cure) time, excess humidity will also affect â€Ëœhowâ€â„¢ a wax or sealant dries (i.e. it may cause hazing or clouding of the surface)

The other climate related condition that should be avoided when applying car care products is direct sunlight, as this will dramatically increase the surface temperature compared to ambient temperatures causing the product to dry prematurely and may render it ineffective.

a) Surface Temperature (Actual surface temperature of the vehicle)- 60 â€â€œ 80oF products will work well within a much broader temperature range, (50° to 90° F) but the best results will be achieved in the 60° to 80° F range surrounding air temp (ambient or room) must be 55oF + to ensure the minimum vehicle surface temperature of 50oF(recommended as a minimum by most manufacturers)

b) Ambient Temperature (Outside air temperature) 35oF+ for vehicle washing

c) Relative Humidity (Moisture content of the air)- RH 50% +/-10%

d) Inside Air Temperature (Room Temperature) 70 â€â€œ 75oF +/- 10oF and 50% relative humidity +/- 10%

e) Air movement or windy conditions will increase the evaporation rate but potentially make some products more difficult work with, especially sprayed products. Perversely this can lessen wax / sealant drying time.

In summary, the ideal conditions for the application of car care products; cool and dry, away from direct sunlight, a surface temperature between 60° and 80° F, 50% RH or lower humidity, and a light air movement.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

shaw
12-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Keep your chemicals at room temperature if possible. Most will perform at their best when kept at the proper temp.

stevet
12-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

If you wash the vehicle and the water turns to ice, then it is too cold to wax.

Here in Southern New Jersey we have had many days during the past month where the 8 AM temperatures have started out between 28 and 32 degrees. As long as the vehicle is in the sun there is usually no problem washing and waxing a vehicle at these temperatures.

I agree. I was my car 2 or 3 times a week all winter. As long as the water doesn`t freeze I don`t have any problem. The car gets waxed/sealed at least once a month in the winter. I find the products I use actually work better in the cold temps than they do in the warmer more humid temps.

stevet
12-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by lbls1

I sneeked in a quick December wax this past weekend....have to admit it was a first. It was a bit over 50 degrees out. It is generally not a good idea to wax at any temp below 50, as your outcome will be left to some risk.

I will usually quit waxing from Nov. until April when Spring returns.

I don`t agree with this. I have clayed, polished, waxed, basicaly done a full detail in much colder weather than 50 and had no problems during the deatil or with the results.