PDA

View Full Version : Can a PC fix rotary Damage?

eShine
12-08-2004, 11:12 AM
I have a friend that receltly had his car painted. It was a custom job. After the car ws cleared the shop decided to polish the clear with a rotary. The clear now has a slight foggy look to it. The clear was likely too soft to polish so soon and the clear fogged over several days after the polishing.I am heading out there on the weekend with my PC, DACP,SSR3, 2.5, 2, and SSR1. Do I have enough in my selection to repair rotary damage!? Does the PC have enough balls!?LOL! Thanks guys!

PS, I am hoping that the shop simply used an abbrasive that left some hazing and needs to be followed up by a less aggresive product! My fingers are crossed!

Accumulator
12-08-2004, 11:22 AM
It just depends on how severe the damage is. You won`t know untill you try. I`ve removed rotary damage with the PC but I`ve also had some that I had to use a Cyclo on and some that needed hit with (my) rotary first to get it workably better. And sometimes you`re just outa luck if the damage is *too* bad, but hopefully that won`t be the case here.

stevet
12-08-2004, 11:34 AM
IMO your friend should bring the car back to the shop. He paid for a custom job and the results are unacceptable. I`m sure you know what your doing with the PC but I wouldn`t touch that car before I brought it back to the shop. If you use the PC on the car and can`t correct the problem the shop might say you caused it not them.

eShine
12-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Steve, I dont want to get into any details about the shop or his decision to have me look at it. My view on these kind of problems is this,

There are painters, then there`s detailers! If a paint shop can`t detail properly the first time, they will never get it right! I have heard seen horror`s from people bringing the car back multiple times just to see it get worse. We want to see if we can skip that PITA process. The shop sure has painting skills though!

Accumulator
12-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Flip side- just don`t let the shop make things worse. They`ve already shown that they can be less than competent. Last time I tried that I still ended up having to fix it myself and I always wondered how much clear they`d take off trying to "fix" it. But yeah, at least call them on it.

CTDiesel
12-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Given that "The shop sure has painting skills though!", I would have them scuff the clear as needed for adhesion and then shoot another coat of clear. Allow the clear the cure properly, then polish it yourself.

eShine
12-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ram

Given that "The shop sure has painting skills though!", I would have them scuff the clear as needed for adhesion and then shoot another coat of clear. Allow the clear the cure properly, then polish it yourself.

Unfortunately we have a deadline. The car has to be in a show real soon! Life is like that! :(

endus
12-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I`ve left problems from the bodyshop due to the same logic, but something on that scale is completely unacceptable. I would definitely have them shoot another coat of clear at least. They made a real bonehead move...they should at least pay byou for the detail.

eShine
12-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Just want to clear something up. this bodyshop is 150% co-operative and will do whatever they can in their skill to rectify the problem. We already know they cant detail altought they offer to do so. They CAN put more clear on it but I personally recommended to my friend to let me at it and see if we can skip a fresh coat of clear.

imported_wblynch
12-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Have you considered that the clear may have clouded due to polishing heat being applied before it fully cured?

I have seen where the clear "bloomed" (if that`s the right term) and the only cure was to remove the clear coat and reshoot.

Good luck and please post your findings and results.

Corey Bit Spank
12-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Usually, yes. If it is minor, the PC and a polish like 2.5 or DACP won`t have a problem correcting it.