PDA

View Full Version : When applying a LSP with the PC

AudiOn19s
12-08-2004, 09:12 AM
When working in a LSP with the PC and a finishing pad (black in this case) is there any advantage to going slow? I noticed that once the pad got saturated with product that I can go quite fast and still get product pretty evenly on the surface but is there an advantage to going slower and really working the product on the surface of the paint (yes I know LSP`s don`t have any abrasion to them....but according to some the gray LC pads do have some bite...very little but yet some).

Also I`ve been applying LSP`s @ 4.5 is there any reason to go any faster on a LSP.

I know this isn`t something major but a question that has been in the back of my head since I started to apply sealants with the PC.

Andy

RedondoV6
12-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Andy,

I do not apply LSP`s by PC myself, but one thing you may want to consider is that some finishing pads are designed to work only at moderate speeds (eg. Sonus blue pad). Using pads above their recommended speeds may lead to increased wear and tear and premature failure.

Maybe someone who applies LSP`s using a PC can comment on this?

imported_kgb
12-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by AudiOn19s

When working in a LSP with the PC and a finishing pad (black in this case) is there any advantage to going slow? I noticed that once the pad got saturated with product that I can go quite fast and still get product pretty evenly on the surface but is there an advantage to going slower and really working the product on the surface of the paint (yes I know LSP`s don`t have any abrasion to them....but according to some the gray LC pads do have some bite...very little but yet some).

Also I`ve been applying LSP`s @ 4.5 is there any reason to go any faster on a LSP.

I know this isn`t something major but a question that has been in the back of my head since I started to apply sealants with the PC.

Andy

For one, you should not have to "work in" LSP`s. I would switch to the red finishing pad by Lake County as well. I apply LSP`s usign the red pad and speed 3 or 4. I don`t like the Pc spinning fast when I am doing the LSP.

JasonD
12-08-2004, 09:35 AM
If it`s a liquid, I apply with my PC just because its so much easier and I can apply a more even, thinner coat this way.

When applying LSP with PC, I always use either my Sonus or LC grey finishing pad and never found the need to set the PC faster than 4 - 4.5. All you`re wanting to do is *apply* a thin coat, not work it in like polish.

imported_kgb
12-08-2004, 09:44 AM
I should also say that if it is a paste I apply it by hand. I was not even thinking of paste when I posted.

AudiOn19s
12-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys...I just switched to applying my LSP`s with a PC as I`ve always done it by hand but I figured that I had that black pad sitting there for over a year so why not right?

It takes more time with the PC but with cold and damp conditions in Ohio lately having a thin even coat is worth it`s weight in gold.

thanks again for the advice.

AudiOn19s
12-08-2004, 09:59 AM
edit : I should have mentioned liquid...I tried applying a paste once with the PC...NEVER AGAIN!!!

cwcad
12-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by AudiOn19s

edit :...I tried applying a paste once with the PC...NEVER AGAIN!!!

hey AudiOn19s,

i am in total accord with your comment on paste with a pc. used a jar of P21s. managed to get it out of the jar but lost a good portion of it becasue it kind of cracked and fell apart. was not happy with the application after the lsp was on the pad. after a lot of grief and really not a better finished look i went to hand application and have been happy with the resulting look. although i still have a lot to learn about making my ride shine. i continue to enjoy the process.

Accumulator
12-08-2004, 11:31 AM
I apply a lot of LSPs by PC/Cyclo, including paste waxes like #16 and Collinite; I`ll be doing #16 by Cyclo when I sign off here. Works great for me...

The only reason to *not* use a high speed is that you might "flash" the product too fast. Avoiding this allows you to spread it (more thinly) over a larger area. But some stuff like the #16 stays liquid while you work it so that`s really not an issue. #16 by Cyclo using Griot`s Speed Shine to "spitshine" it made such an improvement over #16 the regular way that my wife thought I`d switched to a different wax!

GS400
12-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I apply a lot of LSPs by PC/Cyclo, including paste waxes like #16 and Collinite; I`ll be doing #16 by Cyclo when I sign off here. Works great for me...

The only reason to *not* use a high speed is that you might "flash" the product too fast. Avoiding this allows you to spread it (more thinly) over a larger area. But some stuff like the #16 stays liquid while you work it so that`s really not an issue. #16 by Cyclo using Griot`s Speed Shine to "spitshine" it made such an improvement over #16 the regular way that my wife thought I`d switched to a different wax!

So what`s your method of getting the paste out of the can (476) and onto the pad, such that you get a nice even application??

DrSauekraut
12-08-2004, 01:00 PM
I prefer applying LSPâ€â„¢s by PC . . . a little product goes on more consistently than Iâ€â„¢m able to apply by hand. Simply use a plastic putty knife and apply evenly over a finishing pad. Whether itâ€â„¢s P21S, 16, or SG . . . I set the PC to 3 and go to town :D

imported_jaobrien6
12-08-2004, 01:36 PM
I usually use a slower speed, just because you don`t need the extra speed, it vibrates less, and I assume it`s easier on the pads.

One comment I want to add: with some LSP`s I will sort of work the product a little. Not for the same reasons a a polish, but because working it some makes it much easier to get a very thin coating. 1Z Glanz Wax definitely falls into this category. GW must go on thin or is a bear to remove. Since it`s so watery, it`s easy to get spots that are too thick if you just spread it out quickly with a PC. Working it around some gives you a chance to even out the GW over the surface and ensure a thin, uniform layer.

John

DrSauekraut
12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Agreed. When using GW or SG, I use a spray bottle when applying to the pad.

White95Max
12-08-2004, 05:00 PM
I only apply LSPs by PC if they are liquid. When I do, I have the PC set on 2. I don`t see any reason to use a high speed to apply an LSP. :nixweiss