PDA

View Full Version : machine help

newguy
12-08-2004, 01:49 AM
several years ago i was given a craftsman buffer/polisher as an xmas gift and have never used it, it has a 10" surface. i have never used a machine before but would like to start. i was wondering if the craftsman machine would give me the same results as a porter cable 7424 (not sure of the model but costs like 130)? if the porter cable would yield much better results, ill just buy one but i would rather not have to spend money to buy a machine which would give me the same results as the one that i have. if it is recommended that i go the porter cable route, what will i need to go with it? finally, where can i find the best prices?

zzyyzx
12-08-2004, 06:51 AM
If the Craftsman buffer is the one I am thinking of, I had one a few years back too. It`s a large random orbital buffer with a constant speed. It worked sufficiently for applying waxes and stuff, but a PC is in a different class. It`s like comparing a Ford Ranger with a Ford SuperDuty. Both decent vehicle, but have different "missions." You`ll be able to remove more imperfections with the PC.

Check some of the websites listed in the Vendor`s section for the best deals right now. I bought mine at Detailer`s Paradise and got a pretty nice kit with it including some pads, 1z polishes and a case. Regardless, you`ll need to get a backing pad and some pads (people seem to be happy with Lake County and Meguiars a lot of the time). I`d also get some microfiber bonnets to put over the pads for removal. The case is nice, but not required.

Good luck with you decisions.

JasonD
12-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Well said by zzyyzx.

The only thing I`d like to emphasize (even though zzyyzx already mentioned this) is that the Porter Cable is an actual polisher, whereas the Sears orbital is just for application and removal of LSP`s (sealants and waxes).

I recommend the Sonus DAS pad kit to go with the PC. You can also buy the PC and the Sonus pads as a single kit and it comes with pads, backingplate, mf bonetts, etc.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html

Join the Autopia Buyer`s Club and you will be able to receive 15% off that kit plus get discount codes for a lot of other products too.