PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Prewax cleaners by hand or machine?

Pages : [1] 2

JasonD
12-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Pre-wax cleaners. What`s your personal preference, by hand or machine?

imported_Burlyq
12-07-2004, 11:11 PM
looks like your winning so far, but newbies don`t sweat it you can get good results by hand too, especially with AIO or P21s.

Bobby G
12-07-2004, 11:23 PM
I still do it mostly by hand because it`s light work after using clay.

JasonD
12-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Burlyq,

I hope you didn`t think that my posting this poll was a way to prove either of us right or wrong. I was honestly just curious as to how many people did it one way or the other.

By all means, if you prefer to apply it by hand then keep doing it by hand. There is no right or wrong way to do anything. Detailing is all about trial and error. I just know that, for me, application by machine comes out better, but for you that might be a different story. So, again, please don`t take this the wrong way. It was just for fun.

imported_Burlyq
12-07-2004, 11:24 PM
LOL no prob dookie, I have no probs. ty for poll.

RedondoV6
12-08-2004, 08:24 AM
I apply pre-wax cleaners by pad, although I always apply the LSP by hand. I think I just enjoy "laying my hands" on the vehicle at some point, applying the LSP is the most relaxing part of a detail for me.

JasonD
12-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by RedondoV6

I apply pre-wax cleaners by pad, although I always apply the LSP by hand. I think I just enjoy "laying my hands" on the vehicle at some point, applying the LSP is the most relaxing part of a detail for me.

I agree. We have mostly dark colored cars so they always get a coat of paste wax as a LSP, and I always do that by hand too.

JasonD
12-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Very interesting. We currently have 35% of voters still applying prewax cleaners by hand. Kind of makes you wonder how many people are still actually doing full details by hand.

imported_kgb
12-08-2004, 09:04 AM
I do as much as possible by machine (PC). I think it does a far better job than I was ever able to accomplish by hand and does it in a fraction of the time I used to spend. For my LSP I usually do the first coat by machine and any additional coats by hand.

JasonD
12-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by 2001civicex

I do as much as possible by machine (PC). I think it does a far better job than I was ever able to accomplish by hand and does it in a fraction of the time I used to spend. For my LSP I usually do the first coat by machine and any additional coats by hand.

That`s exactly how I feel about it. :xyxthumbs

2wheelsx2
12-08-2004, 02:16 PM
I always do the cleaners and LSP by hand. I find that after using a machine for all the polishing that it`s quite relaxing and peaceful to just do the rest by hand. If I were just working on my own vehicle all the time, I might consider using the PC to use AIO or the LSP (usually SG or UPP), but it`s so fast by hand that either way, it doesn`t make much difference.

MongooseGA
12-08-2004, 03:58 PM
I apply my cleaners and LSP bases (AIO) by machine. If my LSP is a paste wax, it goes on by hand. If my LSP is a cleaner (1Z WPS) I use a polishing pad and a low[er] speed.

White95Max
12-08-2004, 04:54 PM
I prefer to apply any polishes or cleaners by machine. Most LSPs I apply by hand, especially pastes. Paste Glaz goes on so easily it makes it very relaxing (and rewarding!). I can`t wait til spring so I can try UPP + Paste Glaz. :)

imported_Burlyq
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Yup, you guys changed me up.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47594

lbls1
12-09-2004, 07:32 PM
All my pre-clean, polish and wax deposits are done by hand. The trick is to avoid (as much as possible) accumulating swirls from using harsh soap, brushes (never!), or bad towels during detailing.

You can use a pc or rotary to pre-clean and wax. It will save time as well, especially if you have to do a couple of cars. Unless you apply a vigorous amount of effort with polishing out swirls by hand, I tend to think that the pc could be better at getting swirls out as opposed to struggling via the hand method.

Buffing and finishing wax.....now that is a different story.