PDA

View Full Version : Considering selling product on website

AutoNova
12-07-2004, 12:40 PM
I know we have a lot of succesful internet commerce people on this forum.

I am considering selling product on my website and wanted to know if any autopians could help me with some advice on how to get set-up. Give me some of the do`s and dont`s and ideas on boxes and shipping. It would be greatly appreciated.

zzyyzx
12-07-2004, 01:09 PM
- Get boxes that fit your products (or combinations of products). If they`re too big, you`ll spend a lot on fillers and extra on shipping.

- Figure out your shipping charges/policy and stick to it.

- Don`t know how much you plan on spending, but those little devices that make the air bags for fillers are handy.

Check www.uline.com for a lot of shipping products. They have a HUGE amount of stuff almost all related to shipping. It should get the gears going.

AutoNova
12-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Which boxes are right for shipping gallon jugs?

imported_Burlyq
12-07-2004, 10:16 PM
My advice is forget about the sticky popcorn grud, I hate that stuff.

Bobby G
12-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Why don`t you just get hooked up with someone who will let you take the orders and do the shipping for you? It`s a lot more work and expense than you think.

PakShak
12-07-2004, 11:37 PM
I have to agree with DavidB. It will take a lot of work and effort on your part to run a success business.

I personally would have to say that "time" is the most important aspect of starting a new business. Money is also important but your time is invaluable especially if you have other committments (i.e. family, friends etc). If you can juggle, you too will succeed. :D

I wish you the best with your future business.

hint 1...buy boxes and tape in bulk

hint 2...get free Priority Mail boxes from USPS

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

imported_WCD
12-08-2004, 01:11 AM
When orders come for gallons, I dropship from the company. Packing tape and boxes in bulk, great idea!

Get organized. It`s frustrating when you are tripping over things to get at certain products.

Check around for low payment gateway and ecommerce accounts. Costco links up with Nova and it has worked well.

Think outside the box...I am now selling to swim teams, water polo teams, house cleaners, etc. You may focus on detailers, but many products work for other people as well.

Advertising: When you get a license, all of a sudden all of these advertising companies seem to know you are in business. Stick to a plan about your market. I had one company have me "sign" a spot to reserve space for pamphlet that goes on tables at restaurants. I specifically told them that I was not ready. They assured me it was only to save the space should I decide to send in an ad. They called once for my proof..I did not respond. 3 months later I get a sizable bill and the ad???? It`s my home address and my home phone listed as a detailing business!!!

They are now saying they will take me to court and collections. My lawyer says to let them because I have documtented all the phone calls that have never been returned..only get faxes.

Whoa...where did that ramble come from? Sorry, just really tired.

Anyway, don`t let an ad rep talk you into spending money where it won`t help your business. Most I`ve met are not really that concerned with me making money, rather them making a commission.

Good luck!!!

Rob

AutoNova
12-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Are 9X9X11 boxes big enough for shipping gallon jugs? Also who offers the cheapest shipping of the competitors and do you have to do anything as far as hazmat is concerned?

imported_kgb
12-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by DavidB

Why don`t you just get hooked up with someone who will let you take the orders and do the shipping for you? It`s a lot more work and expense than you think.

I knew someone talked to me about this in the past but I lost the e-mail. It was you! LOL You sound like you have an awesome setup the way you do it David!

imported_kgb
12-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by AutoNova

Are 9X9X11 boxes big enough for shipping gallon jugs? Also who offers the cheapest shipping of the competitors and do you have to do anything as far as hazmat is concerned?

Depends what you ship. Most shipping companies don`t say anythign about waxes and polishes. As for gallon jugs, it depends on the shape and size of the jug I guess. That box sounds too small though. I was getting boxes in bulk from browncor.com but they seem to have raised the prices a bit so I might look into another place.

For shipping we usually ship via DHL. They can be rough with some packages but make sure to package them good and you won`t have torubles....knock on wood.