PDA

View Full Version : Hot and cold hose bib

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Aurora40
12-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Man, I`m having a heck of a time finding one that has two inlets and shut-offs. I want to run hot water out front through just one bib. Anyone done this? I checked out Home Depot and Lowes to no avail. I`d rather not have two bibs and some y-pipe...

And, any tips on drilling through the house? I can easily get to where the current cold-water bib/line comes out inside and such, but I`ve never drilled through an exterior wall of a building before... :eek:

Horseman2475
12-07-2004, 11:00 AM
I bought mine at a store that sells Washing Machines. You need it to run Hot and Cold water into the machine.

imported_Aurora40
12-07-2004, 12:40 PM
But a washing machine spout doesn`t merge them together. If it has two spigots, I can`t hook a hose up and get warm water. Do you have some kind of y-pipe after the bib?

zzyyzx
12-07-2004, 01:03 PM
What type of exterior do you have on your house? If it`s the cement fiberboard or brick, you`ll need a masonry bit. Go to Lowes or HD and check there.

As far as the 2 in 1... It might take some jerry-rigging, but it will probably work. Might look a little tacky, so hopefully it will be in the basement or hidden well. Find a Y-Split. Run the Hot & Cold lines into the "female" part of the splitter, and then run the "male" part of the splitter through the wall. At that point, you could hook up a regular spigot or what ever then. If the Splitter is plastic, you might want to put individual shut-offs on each line (this would also help control your mix) as I`m not sure how those things would hold up over time of being constantly under pressure.

Hot-----X--\ |

.................}---|--~

Cold ---X--/ |

(I know, I missed my calling... should have done ASCII art :) )

topnotchtouch
12-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Here ya go Bob

(Scroll Down, it is the last product pictured on the page)

http://www.keidel.com/mech/pvf/valve-ext.htm

Here is the Google search I used, didn`t go through all the results so you might find another.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=hose+bib+%22hot+and+cold%22

imported_Aurora40
12-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys! zzyyzx, if I put the join/y inside the house, I`d have to go into the basement to adjust the temperature. I have vinyl siding, no idea about anything else (except it isn`t brick). I`ll just take a look at the existing hole when I pull out the cold bib first to make sure there isn`t anything I need to be aware of.

Bob, that`s what I`m looking for:

http://www.keidel.com/pix/pvf/valve-woodford-200x96.jpg

I was hoping someone would have the line on a local one so I could get started sooner, but I may just have to order one up. That freezeless is interesting, seems the actual shut-off is way back in it. Neat idea. I will use the kind of shut-off valve that has a little fitting on the side to drain the downstream side (stop and waste or something? some two word thing I can`t think of now), so I`m not sure freezing will be a problem, but better safe than sorry, ehh?

I`ve worked with CPVC and am looking forward to my first time working with copper and a blowtorch! :D

topnotchtouch
12-07-2004, 03:42 PM
I`d love to do something similar at my house. I tend to wash the cars much quicker this time of year :D It would be nice to have warm water to wash with.

imported_Aurora40
12-07-2004, 05:02 PM
When we rented a townhouse I put in warm water, though I couldn`t adjust the temp. It really helps. For one, dirt and stuff comes off a lot better with warm water. You can really see it in how much more easily crud comes out of wheelwells. But mainly it takes a lot less toll on my hands. It isn`t until the drying stage that my hands start to freeze. :)

OI812
12-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Send me a PM

One I can help you get it (the hose bibb)

second I can give you a better Idea (mixing valve)

third I can tell you what you need to install it

fourth I can tell you what you need to drill the holes.

EDIT

HOLY COW BLOW TORCH YOU BETTER E-MAIL ME FAST

(I don`t like advertising this but I am a plumber)

imported_Adamah
12-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Listen to OI8 about the mixing valve. Its what your shower uses. And use a mapp gas torch to solder your joints.

imported_Aurora40
12-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Yeah, it`s a MAPP torch that I got. :) Wouldn`t a two-valved thing like that in the picture be less likely to have any leaking problems or crossover condition than a mixing valve? This thing will be outside the house, and I`d rather have something I probably won`t ever have to mess with again.

OI812, I shot you a PM.

Thanks for the help folks! :wavey

OI812
12-07-2004, 08:58 PM
No guarantees in life, especially plumbing. Hey I need to make a living too;) :p

imported_Aurora40
12-07-2004, 09:07 PM
That mixing valve would look a lot prettier out front, and wouldn`t stick out from the house so much, though it`s behind bushes...

OI812
12-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Here is a picture of the Hot and Cold Hose Bibb.

http://webpages.charter.net/carpics/Woodford%20Hosebibb/Woodford%20HC67.gif

If I get a chance I will take a picture of the whole unit and post it. You might be surprised at how big it actually is. This is a commercial unit

Accumulator
12-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Bob, that`s what I`m looking for:

http://www.keidel.com/pix/pvf/valve-woodford-200x96.jpg

I was hoping someone would have the line on a local one so I could get started sooner, but I may just have to order one up. That freezeless is interesting..

I dunno, I have the Woodward 22 in both one of my garages and in my subbasement. I do *not* like them and am having the subbasement one replaced. I have boosted pressure, so maybe this wouldn`t be a problem for you, but the pressure relieving thing sprays water everywhere when I shut off the hoze nozzle! Real mess. Can`t just unscrew/replace/remove it as it uses an odd thread size that you won`t find at the hardware store. I`m getting a faucet that combines the hot and cold just the way you want it- I already have two of these in my "new garage" (where I detail) and the work well. No link, but look into: Chicago Faucets, "Wall Mount Exposed Faucets". If my plumbing contractor was in town I`d ask him for the model # but he`s away at present. You`d have to see about freezing/exposed conditions, but they`re nicely chrome plated and wouldn`t IMO be an eyesore.