PDA

View Full Version : Scratchless / Swirl free Utopia...Does it exist?

rodeo-clown
12-07-2004, 03:17 AM
With the purchase of my new car, I`ve recently discovered the wonderful world of car detailing.

I recently discovered some water etching on my paint job. With the help of these forums and DetailCity, I`m pretty confident I have the right products to remove them.

I couldn`t wait until the weekend to give it a try so I went for a small area. Clayed, few applications of ScratchX, few applications of Reflections polish and 1x AIO 1x SG.

It came out great, however there are still small surface scratches (maybe I just have to work more product in?.

Question is, does a scratchless / swirl free world exist out there...or is it something that as a new enthusiast detailer I have to come to accept?

Some pics...

Before

http://cakili.image.pbase.com/image/37180587.jpg

After

http://cakili.image.pbase.com/image/37180588.jpg

imported_Burlyq
12-07-2004, 03:35 AM
The more aggresive the polish like menzerna powergloss or IP, the more chances you`ll wipe out your swirls, especially on lighter paints. However, the talent comes when you do away with the hazing that these products leave, by using products like M-FPII. I`ve never used Scratchz so I`m not sure if that was a good choice for total swirl remover or not, but when you go rotary you can due miracles with swirls, spiderweb, or even shallow scratches. I wished you took a long shot of that car/hood. peace Q

rodeo-clown
12-07-2004, 04:11 AM
The swirls are hard to see during the day, only under a spot light are they visible.

I don`t think I`m confident enough to hit a PC just yet, especially on my new baby, besides I don`t think I really need it. My aim is to remove the water marks, which ScratchX has done a resaonable job...it`ll just take a bit of elbow grease.

I think the stich edging of my MF towel is also causing a few light scratches when buffing off the product...is this a common problem?

smoky14
12-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Not in the southwest. Got mine as good as I could and drove it on a 170mi trip. The dust had done its job by the time I got the car home.

THE BATTLE NEVER STOPS

Carl Anderson
12-07-2004, 07:09 AM
It appears to me you did an excellent job. You do not, however, have to worry about using a PC - they are almost idiot proof. And once you use one once you will be hooked. I`d be lost trying to care for my Jet Black BMW without the PC. I even use mine to apply waxes and sealants. But remember, as Bill D says, "THERE IS NO CURE."

vdog0531
12-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by rodeo-clown

The swirls are hard to see during the day, only under a spot light are they visible.

I don`t think I`m confident enough to hit a PC just yet, especially on my new baby, besides I don`t think I really need it. My aim is to remove the water marks, which ScratchX has done a resaonable job...it`ll just take a bit of elbow grease.

I think the stich edging of my MF towel is also causing a few light scratches when buffing off the product...is this a common problem?

the PC is dummy proof. you can not hurt your paint with a PC unless you actually sit there and try to, like using the pc without a pad or something. use a REAL polish that doesn`t have fillers and take it from and agressive state to remove the swirls and then move your way down to a lesser agressive polish to remove any hazing. then after you polish, make sure to use clearn MF towels when removing your lsp in order to prevent new swirls.

Vernon

Accumulator
12-07-2004, 10:35 AM
rodeo-clown- Yeah, it can be done; I`ve kept vehicles totally marring-free while using them year round (Ohio winters are a bear). But it`s not easy and one careless second (literally) while washing, or otherwise touching the paint, and you`ll mar it again.

Oh, and yeah, Smoky14 is right about desert conditions, they`ll sandblast the car causing a whole `nother set of issues.

I won`t go *quite* as far as to say you *can`t* hurt paint with a PC, but most people find it *too* gentle. If you`re gonna buy a polisher, give the Cyclo some consideration.

You`re gonna need better stuff than the Scratch-X to really get it perfect. I`d get some 3M PI-III RC (pn 05933) and use that, first with a cutting pad then a polishing pad, until all the marring is replaced with the *very* fine micromarring the RC will leave. Then use PI-III MG with a polishing pad until it`s perfect. This whole thing will take a while.

Give some thought as to what will qualify as "good enough" to you. Just because some of us strive for perfection (at least on *some* vehicles) that doesn`t mean everybody should. And I treat my other vehicles a lot differently than I do my "good" ones.

And yeah, fold the MFs so the edge doesn`t touch the paint.

Bill D
12-07-2004, 10:45 AM
A PC is just fine for a new car unless,perhaps you grind the paint with one using a wool pad and a "rocks in a bottle" poor quality compound. Enjoy the obsession. It may very well become an outright lifestyle :D and as stated before, There`s NO Cure

:cool:

andrew300
12-07-2004, 03:57 PM
trust me, i felt the same way like you but was convinced to get a pc. trust me you will love it. its impssible to mess up your paint. your mistaking a pc for a rotary. get some good pads and some polish and your good to go.

SilverLexus
12-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Utopia exists in Alpharetta at Nalley Lexus. I have not seen any swirls there which is where my baby was born. :) Seriously I think some dealers do a better job than others.

I think careful use of quality sheepskin mitts and MF is a critical variable. I also think about washing = letting dirt flow off the car and not along the lines of scrubbing or pressing too hard on any surface. Waffle weaves seem to never marr the finish iF used correctly.

oaevo8u
12-07-2004, 07:25 PM
I have to agree with every on else...A PC is idiot proof, good pads and polish and youll be amazed at what you can do. Between that and healthy wash techniques and good MF`s your in good shape.