PDA

View Full Version : Going to try Poorboys need some help

Beason
12-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Well I have been trying to achieve a good shine on my black tahoe, but am having problems getting rid of swirls/scratches. Im not achieving the desired results with Speed Glaze so I think I may switch to a more user friendly swirl remover. I was going to try SSR2. How does it compare to SG? Can I go straigh from SSR2 to EX or would I need something between suck as VM? Also when im short of time I was going to add Poorboys Polish w/ Carnauba as a one step wax. What type of results should I expect?

Hear are my plans starting from scratch

DACP w/ Cutting

SSR2 w/ Polishing

VM w/ Finishing

EX by hand

Routine paint care

SSR2 w/ Polishing

VM w/ Finishing

EX

Normal

VM w/ Finishing

EX

Quick One Step

PwC w/ polishing

That sound right or do I need something between ssr2 and vm?

tpgsr
12-06-2004, 07:25 PM
I would say to try SSR2.5 followed by DACP both on polishing pads

2.5 breaks down real well, and it cuts through lots of problems!

vdog0531
12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
DACP with a cutting pad is an extreme combo IMO. on the black, you are going to see MAJOR rotary marks (if you are using a rotary) or major hazing if you use a PC. After DACP, you will definately need a medium polish to tackle the hazing. SSR2 should take care of that but i would go with SSR1 or Menzerna FP before going to a lsp. that one extra step may not "LOOK" to be necessary, but it certainly won`t hurt. using AIO before EX would be usefull as well IMO.

Vernon

Beason
12-06-2004, 07:37 PM
I always thought 2.5 was comparable to DACP and I dont need something that strong. I want a replacement for Speed Glaze because Im not having the desired results

mtodde
12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Beason

I always thought 2.5 was comparable to DACP and I dont need something that strong. I want a replacement for Speed Glaze because Im not having the desired results

They are very similar in terms of cutting ability. I have more luck with SSR 2.5 for swirls and DACP for light scratches.

IMHO you may want to use a lighter polish than SSR2 such as SSR1, PwC, or a good paint cleaning lotion like the Pinnacle or P21S or Sonus. They will help to remove any marring caused by defect correction and will help to correct light defects themselves. It is generally better to try the least aggressive approach first.

If I could only buy one of the SSRs it would be 2.5. I have gone straight to a product such as AIO/VM from it, but if it is my car I`ll always polish in between. SSR 2.5 may leave some minor marring, but compared to DACP I have found that it leaves less marring...just one man`s experience.

VM does have some fillers however I really like the look on my silver Solara. I have topped it with EX-P, but not EX. PwC is a great base for EX and it looks very good as a 1 step product; I use it in my door jambs as a 1 step currently. Some people have expressed concerns about durability when using VM due to the oils it contains; to date I have been very happy with it...

I`m sure you`ll get lots of feedback on VM + EX. If memory serves me correctly I believe that JDookie uses that combo on black and his Expedition always looks great. I`ll do a search and check.

One note...PwC would remove most of the EX you had on your vehicle. You may be better off adding a second or third layer of EX than removing it with the PwC...

mtodde
12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Here`s a thread with a pic of JDookie`s Expedition with VM + EX...it looks great to me. Jason, I hope you don`t mind...

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44188

Beason
12-07-2004, 03:06 PM
anybody else?

Thomas Dekany
12-07-2004, 04:59 PM
too bad the pictures came out fuzzy - So much for "auto" focus, but it was my fault.

I detailed a black 2002 Tahoe.

Look for my post in awhile.

As far as #80? I`d guess you are using too much. It is an excellent product. Use less of it, and go slow. THat is the fastest way to get good results. m2c.

hirosh
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
in my experience, Speed Glaze was good at removing light swirls. i haven`t tried using my SSR 2 for that purpose but i think they`re similar in cutting power. i think you might like the results of SSR 2.5 better though as it seems to remove swirls quicker and better.

i would get a polish to between SSR 2.5 and EX and like how SSR 1 worked for me. you can substitutes PwC for SSR 1 if you want. sometimes using SSR 2.5, i can go straight to LSP. other times, i get some hazing which SSR 1 cleans up nicely. VM is good in that it adds a little more gloss and shine before sealing it up with EX.

1 Clean WS6
12-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by hirosh

i would get a polish to between SSR 2.5 and EX and like how SSR 1 worked for me. you can substitutes PwC for SSR 1 if you want. sometimes using SSR 2.5, i can go straight to LSP. other times, i get some hazing which SSR 1 cleans up nicely. VM is good in that it adds a little more gloss and shine before sealing it up with EX.

I agree 100%!! :xyxthumbs

A good combo I have personally used is:

SSR 2.5

PwC

EX or EX-P depending on color

Thomas Dekany
12-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by 1 Clean WS6

I agree 100%!! :xyxthumbs

A good combo I have personally used is:

SSR 2.5

PwC

EX or EX-P depending on color

make that X 2!

ssr 2.5

PwC

FK1 Sealant

Slickest combo in my experience. (pwc+fk1)

Raven
12-07-2004, 07:29 PM
On black I like the look of SSR2.5 (if needed), then VM topped with EX. Leaves a very deep, wet look with great shine. I apply both the VM (LC white pad) and the EX (LC grey pad) by PC. Hope this helps!

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/13941sorento_11-16-med.jpg