PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaner?

thedarksyde
12-06-2004, 09:39 AM
What should I use on the engine, specifically the block, which has what seems like some dirt cooked onto the block, and it will not come off, it looks better, but I want it to look great, any suggestions of anything besides Simple Green?

jasonmac
12-06-2004, 09:45 AM
You can try Castrol Super Clean/Degreaser -- that works really well, or I`ve recently given the Gunk Engine Brite a try, and that works really well too.

I`d give the Castrol a shot first.

JasonD
12-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Products like Simple Green, Westley`s Bleche White (my personal favorite, straight for the block itself and dilluted 50/50 with water for everything else), Gunk Engine Degreaser (block only), Citric Acid based cleaners (orange stuff), will all work great.

Referring to my favorite, WBW, I think it works best for me and is really cheap when you buy it from WalMart in the bigger refill size and then dillute it with water.

RedondoV6
12-06-2004, 09:50 AM
I second the Castrol Super Clean advice.

One word of warning, use it on a cold engine and try to keep undiluted Super Clean it away from your paintwork. I have not experienced problems myself, but others have reported that undiluted Super Clean can stain some paintwork.

Good luck!

PS: Super Clean is available at Walmart.

thedarksyde
12-06-2004, 09:52 AM
I tried the simple gree, and orange, stuff and it got like the actual stuff off, but then there are like stains IN the metal, that are not coming out.

I will check out the castrol, but I am thinking that this is as good as it is gonna get, should I be able to get these "stains" out, sorry I do not have a pic.

JasonD
12-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by RedondoV6

One word of warning, use it on a cold engine and try to keep undiluted Super Clean it away from your paintwork.

Good advice, and I think that can be said about any degreaser you buy.

smfrycruzr
12-06-2004, 09:29 PM
I used Castrol at full strength on my ATV`s underside and the engine paint slid right off onto my wash mitt!!! Ooops! Definitely dilute when working on painted objects!

Jngrbrdman
12-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Sometimes degreaser is only going to do as much as it can do and then the rest is up to a wire brush or something else powered by elbow grease. ;)