PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting products please

JeremyGT
12-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Well I have a 2003 black Mustang GT. There are swirl marks all over the entire car, and has the orange peel look along with it. I have been a lurker here at the forums for sometime, and now decided to reach out for some help.

I am asking for detailing products for Christmas. Right now on my list I have a PC 7424.

I need help deciding on which pads to get though, or from which company. I have looked in the Autopia store, but I don`t see a pad just to apply the wax, or I must be missing something.

Also, should I use Meguiars ScratchX first to remove the swirls then apply the NXT wax?

Wasatch
12-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Try for swirl removal Poorboy`s SSR 2 or SSR 2.5, 1Z PP or UPP.

Eliot Ness
12-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Here are links to two pad kits that Autopia sells. I just noticed that the Sonus kit no longer has the grey finishing pad, but they say the blue can be used to apply wax/sealant also.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/tps-padkit-da.html

You could also order some polishing pads, finishing pads, and a backing plate (if needed) from Excel Detail:

http://www.exceldetail.com/excelproductsPC.html

If you have a PC then I wouldnâ€â„¢t use ScratchX to remove swirls, Iâ€â„¢d use a polish made for machine use. There wonâ€â„¢t be much you can do about your orange peel unless you wet-sandâ€Â¦. most people just learn to live with it.

Depending on how bad your swirls are will depend on how aggressive a polish youâ€â„¢ll need to use. There are many good polishes out there so Iâ€â„¢ll recommend two combos that have worked well for me. The first is Megâ€â„¢s DACP (#83) and Megâ€â„¢s #80. The second line is 3Mâ€â„¢s PI III RC (rubbing compound) and PI III MG (machine glaze).

Always start out with the least aggressive product you have and then step up if needed. In the case of the Megâ€â„¢s combo I mentioned above #80 is less aggressive than DACP and for 3M combo MG is less aggressive than RC.

mtodde
12-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Scratch X is not machine friendly...it gums up pretty bad. I believe the instructions indicate that it is for hand use only.

I`m a big fan of the Poorboy`s SSRs for swirl removal. I highly recommend SSR 2.5 & SSR 1. As mentioned always start with a lighter pad & product combo and get more aggressive as needed. I tend to try SSR 1 with a polishing pad then a cutting pad on the worst areas and then move to SSR 2.5 with a polishing pad & then cutting pad. Once the defects are removed SSR 1 on the whole car or a good polish like PwC, Sonus PC, Pinnacle PCL or P21S GEPC (I`m sure the 1Z polishes are as good as the rest of the line, I just haven`t used them much yet) and you`ll be ready to protect.

Orange peel is something we all live with although on black I`m sure it is more apparent. Short of wetsanding or a custom hand repaint there`s not much you can do.

The Sonus pads are great as are the ones from Excel Detail.

With your black paint, I think Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, Souveran Paste or Trade Secret would be nice...depending on where you live they may not be best for winter. 4* UPP looks great on black and should outlast a carnauba. NXT, while not my favorite product, also looks very nice on black - especially when applied with a finishing pad by PC.

Scottwax
12-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Either Poorboy`s SSR line or Meguiars 80 series products (specifically #83 DACP and #80 Speed Glaze) and a polishing pad should get rid of the swirls.

To finish it off, if you already have NXT, go with that, wait 24 hours and top it with Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax. If you want to try Poorboys, I`d go with EX w/carnauba and Natty`s Paste if you want a wetter look.

You should also do a search on black paint in this forum to see what others are using. What may look good to me may not look as good to you.

JeremyGT
12-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Eliot Ness: Thank you for the links, how many of each type of pad would you reccomend getting to start with?

So the procedure I am looking to go with is....Start with a swirl remover, then apply a coat of wax? Or should I start wtih swirl remover, then a polish, then wax?

As far as the orange peel and wet sanding. Is this something a professional would have to do? I`m sure it involves a lot of work/experience in this field.