PDA

View Full Version : pc7424, pp, orange pad .. still swirl marks

m3 in estoril
12-05-2004, 06:07 PM
i just detailed a friends car yesterday and i noticed their was still some swirls left on the paint :( .

i used a sonus orangepad on a pc7424 spd5 with 1z pp, went up,down,left,right 3 times slowly. the pad is kinda old tho.. is it my technique or would i need some stronger polishs and pads?

it was 40 degrees outside.. not fun

hftw Audi 6
12-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Well i`m not to sure about the age of the pad effecting the detail but if you are looking for a stronger polish i am a big fan of the poorboys polish`s, GSRstilez a friend of mine suggested them to me. The SSR polish`s then have SSR1, SSR2, SSR2.5, and SSR3. Just asses the swirls and then pick the polish. 1 being the weakest 3 being the strongest. That is my thought.

shaunthebadboy
12-05-2004, 08:41 PM
you probably have to work it longer. there is a thread in here title "polishing break down stages" that you might want to take a look at. try increasing the speed a little and using a stronger polish like mentioned

White95Max
12-05-2004, 10:05 PM
If you want to stick with the 1Z line, you could use Ultra Polish with a cutting pad, and follow up with PP on a polishing pad to remove any micromarring from the cutting pad/Ultra Polish.

01bluecls
12-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Well I have used 1Z Paint Polish and have half a tin left that I will prolly not use. I found that PP is not really that abrasive...it will prolly work best with *minor* swirls and does have some fillers. I find that the SSR2.5 can get a lot of swirls out. I have also used and tried 1Z Ultra Paint Polish, I can tell you that I have found that SSR2.5 works better and easier to use. This is all just my opinion and expierence of course. You may want to step up to another more aggressive polish than PP.

Corey Bit Spank
12-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Poorboys SSR 2.5 has been a good Porter Cable polish for me. Easy to work with.

It may be the pad though. I remember when tpgsr needed a pad and he found one of mine in the trunk of my car and for the life of us, we couldn`t get it to do anything. I am under the impression that the foam can overtime and use with chemicals, break down. How old is your pad?

JasonD
12-05-2004, 10:48 PM
I use and love 1Z polishes. PP is aggressive enough for 75% of all my polishing needs, but sometimes it just doesn`t cut it and I need to step up to UPP. UPP is the most aggressive polish in the 1Z line yet still very user friendly. I suggest trying UPP with the same orange pad and then move to PP with the green pad, and so on.