PDA

View Full Version : SONUS DAS pads question

imported_The Uncle
12-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Before I post this question, I just want to acknowledge that I am a complete NOOB with recard to the PC. Based on advice I got here, I bought a Porter Cable and the SONUS DAS pad set. I`m about to begin my "major" detail for the season. My plan is to wash, clay, AIO, SG X 3, and then UPP. However, in last year my car has picked up a few minor scratches on the hood and trunk. I`m very careful about washing so there are no real swirl marks, but there are fine scratches from road debris and stuff of that nature.

So, I`ve been thinking about going over the car with #9 before the AIO (I know #9 is gentle, I just don`t see much of a need for anything more aggressive). I thought I would use the green pad with #9, and the blue pad with AIO. I`ll apply the SG and UPP by hand.

My only real concern here is about the green pad. How abbrassive is it, and if I use the green pad and #9, do I risk causing any problems with the finish?

I wonder if a safer strategy for a new user like myself, might be to just try using the blue pad with AIO and worry about removing any minor imperfections in the spring, when I am a bit more comfortable with the process.

I know these are basic questions, but hope that one of you patient experts can help!

JasonD
12-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Don`t worry about a thing. Rest assured, all of the Sonus pads are very gentle. Even the aggressive orange pad isn`t all that aggressive, so don`t be afraid to use them. Your plan of attack is perfect, #9 with the green pad, AIO with the blue pad, and the rest by hand. If you REALLY want a nice thin even coat of SG you can even use the grey pad. A lot of people suggest putting your SG in a spray bottle and lightly mist your pad with it, set the PC on 4 and run it over the surface. After doing a panel, just wipe it off. Most people run into problems with SG when they use too much. If you do, it will be hard to get off, so light thin coats is the way to go. Just remember to wait at *least* 24 hours between each coat of SG and UPP......oh yeah, also remember.......HAVE FUN!!:xyxthumbs

imported_The Uncle
12-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Thank you. This is extremely helpful. I appreciate it! :)