PDA

View Full Version : Floormats - In trunk or back on floor?

googledude
12-03-2004, 08:09 AM
Question for all that include shampooing or extraction to customers as part of an interior detail. Do you guys put your customers floor mats in the trunk area and tell them to take them out and let the floor and the mats ry more before putting them back in the car? Or do you all put them back where they go when you are done. Will it create any odors if you put them back down, say, right before you give the customer their car back? Thanks is advance,

Mark

xhaust50
12-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, I`m no pro, but when I do anyone else`s car I put the floormats back in place as the last thing I do. They`re definitely dry though as I first dry them with the wet/dry vac, and then they`re hang drying for another 1.5+ hours while I detail the outside of the car. Can`t think of a reason to do otherwise.

salty
12-04-2004, 06:36 PM
I either put them in the trunk or on a garbage bag, on top of each other, on the back seat. Never put mats on carpet that is not dry, only asking for musty smell. After the carpet is dry, then the customer can put them back. I find this rule overrides the "perfect look". The mats and the back seat will dry after the carpet. If it is cold out and drying is a problem, then idling with the heat on high, is the only answer.

jimmybuffit
12-04-2004, 06:38 PM
More often than not, the mats go in the trunk.

If we start the car early in the day, then the carpet is frequently dry, but...

I don`t like it, since it requires effort from the client, but more often than not, the mats go in the trunk..

Because the carpet is still moist, not because the mats aren`t dry.

Jim

tpgsr
12-04-2004, 07:56 PM
I picked up a shop vac with a detachable blower, it takes about 5 min. more to dry all of the carpets, but it looks really good when it is done since they are perfectly clean, have no vacuum lines, and they are all nice and dry!

reflex7346
12-06-2004, 06:03 AM
I use an air mover to dry the carpet out . While the air mover is inside the car the mats are usually hanging up in either in my trailer or the trunk of my car. When the carpet is dry I usually put the mats back in and leave the air mover on to dry them out the rest of the way. THis has worked well for us wfor a few years now.

googledude
12-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by tpgsr

I picked up a shop vac with a detachable blower, it takes about 5 min. more to dry all of the carpets, but it looks really good when it is done since they are perfectly clean, have no vacuum lines, and they are all nice and dry!

That is a good idea, may have to try that one. I`ve also considered putting one of those black turbo fans in the vehicle on high and just letting it run for a while, may do the trick.

salty
12-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Don`t get me wrong, if there is time to dry the carpet, then put the mats in. I also use a fan, but for various reasons, the carpet could be damp when the car gets picked up . Imagine if the customer lifts the mats up and the carpet is wet. I have also found that even if the top of the carpet feels dry it might be damp lower in the pile.

hftw Audi 6
12-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Sounds ghetto but it works amazing! I have played hockey for my entire life so there is always hockey stuff laying around....one of those things was a hockey stick gun! It shoots hot air at shafts to melt the glue holdin the blades on the shaft so that you can replace the blades. I decided to one day try this out on my floors and i made my own little stand for it to stand outside the car....It worked amazing the rugs were more then dry by the time i was done with the exterior. I just move it around. It worked awesome! :xyxthumbs

jimmybuffit
12-14-2004, 08:28 PM
The real answer is "air mover".

Drys a carpet in 90 minutes, or less...

$$$, but they work.

Google is your friend.

Jim

Scottwax
12-14-2004, 09:54 PM
I put the mats back if the carpeting is dry. If not, I inform the customer where I put the mats (depending if the detail is at a residence or at an office) and that they should wait until the carpeting is completely dry before putting the mats back.

In the summer, the carpets are usually dry by the time I finish. I always detail the interior before the exterior.

oaevo8u
12-15-2004, 03:12 AM
I usually detail the interior first as well so when im done with the exterior the interior is already dry.

googledude
12-15-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

The real answer is "air mover".

Drys a carpet in 90 minutes, or less...

$$$, but they work.

Google is your friend.

Jim

I thought about getting an air mover. But the real issue is the price vs. benefit. More price THAN benefit, lol. The speed of drying the carpet does seem rather appealing though. :confused: