PDA

View Full Version : water spot removal

OnyxGMC
12-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Here goes the first post:

I`ll come out and admit that I haven`t 100% properly taken care of my truck`s paint since I`ve owned it. Long story short....I`m stuck with some nasty water spots (or I guess etching?) that will not come off with clay, AIO, vinegar, or even CLR by hand. I just got the Klasse kit today and washed/tested it on the hood to see if it would help, but the spots aren`t going anywhere.

So it looks like the only answer is a porter cable + some kind of cleaning polish (maybe AIO+pc would do the trick?). Vinegar seemed to dull down the spots, and maybe with some buffing they would go away.

What cleaner/polish and pads/bonnets would you guys recommend? And is my only option using a PC?

Thanks

OnyxGMC
12-02-2004, 11:20 PM
I was considering the Porter Cable+P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion - does this sound right?

01bluecls
12-03-2004, 01:02 AM
if it is etched in then you will need some abrasive polish to help get rid of the water spot....probably something like Meg`s DACP or PoorBoys SSR2.5.

togwt
12-03-2004, 06:53 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations

Removing etched water (below surface) spots from paint-

Methodology

ï‚· These can be removed by using detailer`s clay to remove any hardened surface deposits

ï‚· Then using a machine polish, Iz einzett TM Metallic Polish (3/10) or Iz einzett TM Paint Polish (5/10) and a cutting (LC Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4) to level the surface

ï‚· Work on a very small area at a time (2-foot x 2-foot) until the polish has run out

ï‚· Repeat this process two or three times, as necessary

ï‚· Reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

OnyxGMC
12-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the info!

Think I`m going to try the Einszett Metallic Polish, should I need any kind of glaze or anything like that in between the Einszett and AIO+SG?

Heres the plan:

Dawn wash

Clay

Regular wash

Einszett Metallic Polish on a (orange or green?) sonus pad

AIO

SG

Also, what QD would you recommend for this application?

imported_pugoman
12-04-2004, 01:32 PM
I think you`ll need something more abrasive than 1Z MP - that`s a VERY mild polish. I certainly wouldn`t reach for the MP if I had defects to deal with. If you want to stick with 1Z then you`ll at least need to try PP or maybe even UP.

OnyxGMC
12-04-2004, 02:13 PM
would I need something after the PP before the AIO?

[edit: I searched and found that PP to AIO is fine]