PDA

View Full Version : NXT Question for the pros that use it....

dschribs
12-02-2004, 05:55 AM
I`ve used NXT on my car several times and love the results. I did notice that the instructions state that two coats should be applied 24 hours apart for best results. That`s what I`ve done on my car and it seems the second coat does make a difference. But I`m curious as to what you guys do that detail professionally in terms of a second coat??? Do you just do one coat, or two coats one right after the other? Obviously, telling the customer you`ll be back the next day to put another coat of NXT on isn`t the most practical solution as I see it! Just wondering how those that detail for money use NXT as I`m thinking of doing some work on some friends/neighbors cars in the Spring...

Thanks!!!

imported_ajbarnes
12-02-2004, 07:48 AM
For customer`s, I use only one coat for the obvious reasons (coming back the next day, etc.) and of course it still works well. For my own vehicle or my family, friends, etc., sometimes I`ll apply a second coat 24 hours later. After I apply NXT or any other wax for that matter, I normally follow up with a quick detailer/spray wax treatment for a deeper gloss on the paint. One of my newly found favorite quick detailer is actually from Ardex and it`s called "Spot Delivery"....does an excellent job and smells awesome!

Pats300zx
12-02-2004, 09:24 AM
I believe that Mike Phillips over on MOL mentioned that no QD`s should be used on NXT for 24 hrs after buffing it off. I believe this was to let the polymers set up.

I have applied 2 coats of NXT back to back (after buffing off the first coat) with great results.

rdvt4me
12-02-2004, 09:39 AM
I too do 2 coats back to back with very good results. I have talked with Mike Phillips a number of times since I live close to Meguiars. The 2nd coat is mainly to insure total coverage....not a layering thing (please, let`s not start a whole discussion on that).

He also said that once you buff off the final coat.....don`t keep going over it with the buffing cloth like many of us do...since the finish feels and looks sooooo nice. You need to let it set up awhile (ie, 24 hours). If you continue to buff you will be disturbing the curing process.

NEW AGAIN
12-02-2004, 07:24 PM
2 Coats B2B, With 30 minutes cure time before each coat is remove

White95Max
12-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah this isn`t NXT related, but when I use more than one layer of sealant/wax on a customer car, I just buff the first coat off, and then do something else (detail wheels/tires, engine bay, glass) to give the sealant a little while to set up. Then I apply the wax (or 2nd coat of sealant) on top.

Scottwax
12-02-2004, 09:58 PM
One coat is sufficient. I have done them back to back with good results also.

imported_Burlyq
12-03-2004, 12:55 AM
I had some NXT and ended up giving to my brother. Not because I didn`t like it but because he really did like it and well it`s not my favorite. You can apply two coats but not much of the second will catch, but it will get into missed places and places that may be to thin. Your not harming anything by putting the second coat, but most of it will just take up product that isn`t cured and mixing it around. It would be a waste of money, but something you should do anyhow if this is the product you chose to use. One thing I personally believe but cant prove, is that when you "cut" your sealant in with buffer (makita 9227 my choice) it makes the first coat cure by friction. Then more of the second coat will attach whether or not you`ve met manufacturers cure time. If fact, one of the products I use specifically says to do this. First coat "cut" in then second coat apply by hand. Unfortunatley, I think Zaino is the only sealant that you can put multiple coats at once with total cure between coats and that`s why most of my customers chose it. Does anyone know of another multiple coat sealant?? Klasse almost has two coat capabilty because you can put SG on top of AIO and lets say that`s about a coat and a half. When it comes to other products and choices the customer will have to leave it overnight, and they often do. I`m not a big fan of one coat details. For the price people pay they should have two coats of sealant. Sealant is the one thing that protects the car from long term future paint contamination and that`s primarily what people with new cars want when they get a pro detail. I will say this, I think you can put two coats of regular carnuba type waxes like p21s. It just wont last months. I wish other company`s would try to come up with the same technology as Zaino, until then I only have one choice if I can`t have the car for extended time. if you are going to detail and get paid for it you should find the difference between one coat and two. Put one coat on one side of your car and two (cured correctly) on the other. See what lasts longer. I`ve already done this years ago and that`s why I always put two coats on a customers car.

HotRodGuy
12-03-2004, 09:36 AM
b2b just to ensure full coverage