PDA

View Full Version : 3M mach glaze/PC/caking on pads

Asonyexec
12-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Well I just tried the 3M machine glaze with my PC and the orange pad stiffest pad that is supplied by sonus. Later I changed to the blue pad (softer, less cutting) to see if my problem would go away.

The problem I had using the 3M machine glaze was that it kept caking on pads. I would take the pad off after hittin` 2 panels to wash off the caked on product. Then, because the pad was still wet (i got the pad as dry as I could including ringing it in a terry towel) the product would go on kind of weird, turned very liquidy.

Then the 3M product would get slighty caked onto the paint. used some QD and a towel to wipe it off. I also tried cranking the PC to 6 thinking maybe I needed more speed

Does anyone have any tips on how to better use the 3M machine glaze product with the PC?

Thanks

imported_jaobrien6
12-01-2004, 11:32 PM
If your pads are caking up with product that quickly, you`re probably using too much polish. Try using less polish, and see if that works better for you.

John

Accumulator
12-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Yep, that`s it- use less product. This comes up from time to time, and is about the only issue people ever have with the MG. It doesnt take much at a time, though it might take many passes depending on how hard the paint is and the severity of the marring.

I`ll do an entire Audi A8, or even a *minivan* without having any caking at all. I only clean the pad if it`s getting dirty.

Using more product than you need isn`t just wasteful, it`s counter-productive. Besides loading up the pad, it makes it harder for the pad to "cut" (too much product between the foam and the paint, hence less friction) and it (sorta conversely) makes it harder to break down the MG (which does break down a bit).

Only use enough product to a) "prime" the pad so there aren`t any dry areas, b) keep the pad slightly moist with product, and c) cover the (small) area being worked. Work it until it`s almost gone before adding more product- at this point it won`t be "caked" unless you used too much, it`ll break down and pretty much disappear. Some people even work the MG until it *does* disappear.

Same ol` same ol`, most people use *way* more product than they need for everything from polishing to LSPs. It`s just something you have to force yourself to do differently. Once you get it right, you`ll see that it`s pretty incredible how *little* product you oughta use.

White95Max
12-02-2004, 09:18 PM
The MG can be difficult to remove, especially if you apply too much product. You can remove it much easier with an MF after misting with a QD.

I`ve never had the product cake on my pads. I would guess that you`re just using too much product.

Asonyexec
12-02-2004, 10:05 PM
:D Thanks for the info. I didn`t think i was using that much product as a matter of fact it seemed like i was using too little but then I wouldnt have the problem if that were true. I use the clear ketchup like bottles (empty from the original product bottle into these for ease of use) and place an "X" across the center of the pad. It`s a pretty thin X. Then i dab the pad once or twice on the area im going to hit (usuall a 2` x 2` section) so that we dont have product squirting out, and start to work it in with the PC.

Next time I try it I will use less of the 3M MG. BTW, I use the same amount of #80 and it does not act the same, buffs right off.

Thanks again.:bounce

Thomas Dekany
12-02-2004, 10:07 PM
you do the x only once - the first time.

Accumulator
12-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Asonyexec

Next time I try it I will use less of the 3M MG. BTW, I use the same amount of #80 and it does not act the same, buffs right off.

Yeah, the #80 is much for forgiving when you use too much. Might be all those "trade secret oils" Meg`s puts in there or maybe the little bit of polymer protection. At any rate, #80 acts a lot different from the MG.

Oh, on the rare occasions when I got hard-to-remove MG residue, AIO took it right off (the QD wipe wasn`t getting it).